It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 5

page: 119
<< 116  117  118    120  121  122 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: cirrus12
No source available
But my friend who works in an NHS hospital said that all staff must turn up for work even if someone in their household is exhibiting signs of coronavirus - otherwise they won't get paid.
Simply outrageous! Going against government guidelines to now isolate for 14 days if any member of your household has symptoms. For frontline workers this could be so dangerous - spreading it to the vulnerable. I'm shocked there aren't more protests from NHS workers...

Some other bits from the frontline NHS

I work on the infectious diseases ward of a major UK hospital. This has now become a coronavirus ward. It’s a “red zone” – one of the most infectious areas. We have all the patients here who have tested positive, apart from the ones so severely ill they need intensive care. We know that some of our patients will die.

I treat patients who are proven to have coronavirus. One week ago, I was wearing full PPE [personal protective equipment]. That consists of a proper FFP3 mask [offering high respiratory protection], a visor, a surgical gown, and two pairs of gloves.
Now we’ve been told not to bother with any of that. They’ve told us “just treat it as though it’s seasonal flu”. Now we are expected to wear just a normal surgical mask, a pair of ordinary short gloves, and a plastic apron that doesn’t cover all of you like a surgical gown does. I would see other patients around the hospital in the same scrubs, and the scrubs could have coronavirus on them.

But this advice contradicts WHO and European guidance. This guidance says to use full PPE if you are exposed to patients with coronavirus.

I am terrified. I’m seriously considering whether I can keep working as a doctor. I may be OK – I’m young and healthy – but I can’t bear the thought of infecting other patients with a disease that could kill them. And that is the risk, without proper PPE. It’s terrifying; it’s indescribable. This is not seasonal flu. This is a new virus with greater mortality and we know much less about it.

I cannot believe or understand why Public Health England has downgraded our PPE advice. Why are they contradicting international advice?

www.theguardian.com...

Agreed! It's unbelievable 😡

I signed this petition yesterday to ask that all NHS staff are tested for CV.

Feel free to help out (mods pls remove if needed)
chng.it...

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:39 AM
link   
New coronavirus can persist in air for hours and on surfaces for days - study
www.reuters.com... m_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Scientists from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, attempted to mimic the virus deposited from an infected person onto everyday surfaces in a household or hospital setting, such as through coughing or touching objects.

They used a device to dispense an aerosol that duplicated the microscopic droplets created in a cough or a sneeze.

The scientists then investigated how long SARS-CoV-2 remained infectious on these surfaces, according to the study that appeared online in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday - a day in which U.S. COVID-19 cases surged past 5,200 and deaths approached 100.

The tests show that when the virus is carried by the droplets released when someone coughs or sneezes, it remains viable, or able to still infect people, in aerosols for at least three hours.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

Doctors won't test due to stupidity

I wonder if they've run out of tests or have thrown in the towel (i.e., given up) because so many people have it and that they are simply going to have to treat symptomatically as people present. Still, you'd think they'd test because not all treatments are good for all conditions and to keep them separated from the negatives.

edit on 18-3-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

this is really bad.. and longer than we thought.

Scientists from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health

The tests show that when the virus is carried by the droplets released when someone coughs or sneezes, it remains viable, or able to still infect people, in aerosols for at least three hours.

On plastic and stainless steel, viable virus could be detected after three days.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

Scientists from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health

On plastic and stainless steel, viable virus could be detected after three days.

Luckily in nsw schools are still open to keep the infection rates lower....

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

When I read that a few days ago, I tried to cancel all maintenance physician appointments....and particularly after my GP told me to avoid all medical establishments for as long as possible. Three-hour viability in the air terrifies me.

I still have one who insists on seeing me in June despite the fact that I've been stable on this issue for years and I'm in a very high-risk cohort. I don't know what to do. If it's still in full swing--which I expect here in the US--do I cancel and hope I can get another endocrinologist or do I go in mask, faceshield, gloves and perhaps even Tyvek suit to protect myself and drive home the point that I don't appreciate unnecessary risk? If I came down with it in 7 days or so after visiting them, "angry" wouldn't be the word.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:57 AM
link   
For those who care here is a Zimbabwe Update:

Zimbabwe's president has declared a state of national disaster as the country anticipates the impact of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) – even though there are no confirmed infections there.

Anadulo Agency reported that the action came after a UK tourist tested positive following a trip to Victoria Falls.

link

General opinion is that Zimbabwe has been a disaster state for 20 years now.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:07 AM
link   
The patchwork "closing down" and asking residents to self-isolate should have somewhat of an effect on flattening the curve, however we have some places like Reno NV that close down, but the neighboring town still has restaurants serving in-house and bustling as usual.

State officials need to do better at getting different municipalities on the same page IMO

www.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:26 AM
link   
ugly numbers

Coronavirus timeline:
- January 19: 100 cases
- January 24: 1,000 cases
- January 28: 5,000 cases
- February 12: 50,000 cases
- March 6: 100,000 cases
- March 14: 150,000 cases
- March 18: 200,000 cases

twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I saw on the news a few days ago that Spectrum was offering free Internet for those who are forced to do online classes and can't afford it.

I'd look into it.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: drussell41
YES, you cancel. He/she (the MD) just wants to see you so he/she can bill the visit. Don't be stupid. If you have to find another endocrinologist just because you cancelled a visit, then you probably shouldn't be treated by him/her anyway.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop News sources mention 1 Australian study projection: 'Researchers say that the probability of any of their projected outcomes are 'highly uncertain.'

15 MILLION people will die and the global economy will take a $2.3 TRILLION hit from coronavirus in the BEST-CASE scenario, new study predicts
• Research by Australian National University lays out a range of virus outcomes
• In the worst case, global death toll could reach a staggering 68million
• Some countries' economies could shrink by eight per cent in a global meltdown

By TIM STICKINGS FOR MAILONLINE PUBLISHED: 05:29 EDT, 6 March 2020 | UPDATED: 11:06 EDT

~~
Yet a day+ ago Trump was mentioning July-August. Someone is not telling all they know or suspect.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: BostonBill99
a reply to: drussell41
YES, you cancel. He/she (the MD) just wants to see you so he/she can bill the visit. Don't be stupid. If you have to find another endocrinologist just because you cancelled a visit, then you probably shouldn't be treated by him/her anyway.

Thanks for the feedback and advice, Bill. I was thinking she cared more about her practice' income than my safety also. Even my husband's GP has notified everyone that if they're in a high-risk group not to come in for maintenance appointments....to call them and they'd make other arrangements.

"Don't be stupid" really reinforced my thoughts/feelings that I was right to be very concerned about her position. Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 06:05 AM
link   
On Dr. Oz show a guest said that on cardboard paper virus would not last many hours. a reply to: Agit8dChop

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Amazon hiring another 100,000 workers for delivery+.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: EarthShine
a reply to: Agit8dChop News sources mention 1 Australian study projection: 'Researchers say that the probability of any of their projected outcomes are 'highly uncertain.'

15 MILLION people will die and the global economy will take a $2.3 TRILLION hit from coronavirus in the BEST-CASE scenario, new study predicts
• Research by Australian National University lays out a range of virus outcomes
• In the worst case, global death toll could reach a staggering 68million
• Some countries' economies could shrink by eight per cent in a global meltdown

By TIM STICKINGS FOR MAILONLINE PUBLISHED: 05:29 EDT, 6 March 2020 | UPDATED: 11:06 EDT

~~
Yet a day+ ago Trump was mentioning July-August. Someone is not telling all they know or suspect.
This is not good and interesting because my own initial analysis suggested that there could be as many as 32m deaths in China alone. And china has 20% of the worlds population. So 32 x 5 = 160m.

If the final death rate is 3% then the number of deaths will be around 220m if 5% then 370m. Then you have a partial depopulation. If more then the planet just got depopulated!

I might sound like a broken record but the characteristics of this virus are clearly by design (what a BW would be like). Accepting that it is a BW cleverly cultured in a lab then what we need to know is was it released early by accident or deliberately and by whom. Even the kill rate smacks of by design and a likely desired cull amount. 5-10%.

Maybe the first superpower to come up with an effective vaccine is the culprit because maybe they have the vaccine already and it was developed in parallel because any BW depopulation exercise would require the vaccine in place before mission launch.

How do we find out if it was accidental (no excuse) or deliberate and who did it?

What will the implications be for us all?

Ponder.............
edit on 18-3-2020 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asgaard

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: Asgaard
PM Rutte is an idiot who is putting my grandmother in danger.

Sorry, but locking everyone else up isn't the answer, sounds like he is much more rational than others.

Your grandmother/my parents are responsible for protecting herself/themselves.

I am helping my parents by not visiting the for a while, and convincing them to self-isolate, and have offered to buy them anything they may need and bring it to them (they are only a couple of hours away by car).

It is the rational answer. The virus needs to die out. There is no such thing as 'immunity' with this thing. In fact the immune system completely #es up. ''herd immunity'' doesn't apply with this nasty virus.

I agree with Asgaard. If you want to create herd immunity at least 60 to 80% should have been in contact with the virus and have created antibodies in the people infected.

But what if that won't happen? Let's look at the normal 'cold', did we ever get 'herd immunity' from the normal cold? No! So why accept this as science now? This is a dangerous game they are playing.

The UK is going for the same thing, this herd bladiebla.
edit on 18 3 2020 by Toinski because: needed.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Going by the figures this virus death toll (8226 4.04% fatality rate of 203,579) has surpassed the total number of infections for SARS which killed 800 and infected 8000 vs 203,579 and growing.

I think those of us here did the right thing by getting in early at the start and preparing for this the best we could.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
a reply to: ketsuko

I saw on the news a few days ago that Spectrum was offering free Internet for those who are forced to do online classes and can't afford it.

I'd look into it.

Sister doesn't have Spectrum in her area, but maybe if Spectrum offers, one of the other providers will follow suit. I already called my mom to pass the word on to her to keep her eye on the providers in her area.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Not a good start to the morning. Seems NY is up to 1708.

New York, US Confirmed: 1,708 Deaths: 16 Recovered: 0 Active: 1,692

We've got our first case of the virus here in my county, Oneida.

UTICA, N.Y. – Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente has confirmed one person in Oneida County has tested positive for coronavirus. Picente says the person recently traveled internationally and has been quarantined at home since March 13, after returning from abroad on March 12, at which time they were symptomatic. They have not required hospitalization. The county is not releasing the name, age, gender or location of the individual at this time, nor the country from which they had just returned. While in quarantine, they are working to help the county health department identify people with whom they've come into contact since arriving back in the county. The county executive says this is the beginning. "We're gonna have more cases," says Oneida County Executive, Anthony Picente, Jr. "You're looking at the next three months being the most severe." Still, Picente says he does not foresee any further restrictions to daily life in the near future. "I don't have any intent on my state of emergeny to do that at this time or have not received any other orders or direction from the state," says Picente. "Unless something else changes in the guidelines, I don't see any of that in the immediate future." At a 3pm briefing Tuesday, Picente said he's suspending all county early intervention and pre-school-related services effective Friday, March 20th, at 5pm. The county is restricting visitors, requiring a sign-in and only allowing those with emergency or essential needs to enter the county building. Realizing that many might feel helpless, overwhelmed and really want to help, the county has set up a volunteer website, at [email protected]. Help is needed, with things like bringing food and medicine to seniors, and answering helpline phones. According to the New York Department of Health, there are 1374 positive coronavirus cases across the state. The highest concentration is in New York City, with 644 cases. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention there are 3,487 cases in the country, and 68 reported deaths.

edit on 18-3-2020 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2020 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 116  117  118    120  121  122 >>

join