It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss America ends swimsuit competition

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

My 'argument' would bury you so deep it would take weeks to extract yourself! You, on the other hand, are just talking out of your backside, and I would even wager you are even saying things you know to be false just for the sake of arguing the point. Trust me, you don't want to debate this point, not with me anyway. No bravado here, because I actually worked in (and still do to a degree) the media industry. I know how it works, and more to the point, I know how advertising works. It is advertising, after all, which pays EVERYONE's salaries on these and virtually every single second of content you see on television and on radio! Without advertising sponsorship these programs cease to exist...overnight!

Just look at the Rosanne cancellation by ABC. ABC could care less if they pissed off viewers; that's the last thing on Earth they care about. However, they cancelled that program because ADVERTISERs pulled out...and worse, those same advertiser's threatened to pull ads on OTHER programs as well if they didn't cancel it. Now they CARE very much about that!! If you think it's about anything other than money you'd be sorely mistaken!!

They know EXACTLY who's watching, and they know when. Again, don't be foolish.

ETA...AND, it will be those very same advertisers who lead to the demise of the Miss America pageant as well. Why? Because as viewership drops so too will sponsorship. When sponsorship dries up...BUH BYE!

So enjoy it while you can...or not.

edit on 6/6/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: WarPig1939

Thank God we don't live in Victorian times getting all giddy due to an ankle.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

My 'argument' would bury you so deep it would take weeks to extract yourself! You, on the other hand, are just talking out of your backside, and I would even wager you are even saying things you know to be false just for the sake of arguing the point. Trust me, you don't want to debate this point, not with me anyway. No bravado here, because I actually worked in (and still do to a degree) the media industry. I know how it works, and more to the point, I know how advertising works. It is advertising, after all, which pays EVERYONE's salaries on these and virtually every single second of content you see on television and on radio! Without advertising sponsorship these programs cease to exist...overnight!

Just look at the Rosanne cancellation by ABC. ABC could care less if they pissed off viewers; that's the last thing on Earth they care about. However, they cancelled that program because ADVERTISERs pulled out...and worse, those same advertiser's threatened to pull ads on OTHER programs as well if they didn't cancel it. Now they CARE very much about that!! If you think it's about anything other than money you'd be sorely mistaken!!

They know EXACTLY who's watching, and they know when. Again, don't be foolish.

I have an opinion about this same as you if you got nothing else, then drop it. I only have to say to you is 'follow the advertising money' because nothing else matters.

link   
I'm surprised this is still a thing. Who even watches this crap anymore? Society has evolved past this inane competition.

link   

( Physical ) attraction. Having good physical traits does not mean sexual objectification. Good lord, are you sure you have the right definition of what makes the opposite sexes attract each other? It's called physical attributes and showing them off is a way of getting noticed. Not in a sexual way. Wow... I can't believe I am explaining this.

It's a natural human thing to do and shouldn't be shamed because some people think that it is somehow related to sexuality.

edit on 6-6-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I'm surprised this is still a thing. Who even watches this crap anymore? Society has evolved past this inane competition.

Nobody knows who watches this anymore or why...just assumptions and confusion all round.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939

( Physical ) attraction. Having good physical traits does not mean sexual objectification. Good lord, are you sure you have the right definition of what makes the opposite sexes attract each other? It's called physical attributes and showing them off is a way of getting noticed. Not in a sexual way. Wow... I can't believe I am explaining this.

It's a natural human thing to do and shouldn't be shamed because some people think that it has be sexually related

I know this already, but thanks for explaining to others who didn't know. But as for beauty pageants, if you bother to research the damage it does to young girls you will know it can be sexually related and girls and women objectified.
edit on 16CDT08America/Chicago02880830 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

So you should be ok with a woman in a swim suit if they want to because it is their way of showing their physical attributes that in no way is resembling sexual objectification. Right?

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Bull pooky.

Hot babes are still hot babes. We aren't "evolved". We aren't "enlightened".

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

So you should be ok with a woman in a swim suit if they want to because it is their way of showing their physical attributes that in no way is resembling sexual objectification. Right?

The point is the contestants had no choice in the matter. This beauty pageant is changing definitions of women and if you can't accept that, then don't. Change will happen nonetheless.
edit on 16CDT08America/Chicago03280830 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: WarPig1939

Thank God we don't live in Victorian times getting all giddy due to an ankle.

OMG WOAH! I had to magnify to 180% to see that sexy ankle! She is lookin FINE! I'd finagle that one! Yes

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Bull pooky.

Yeah but we came up with the internet.

Social evolution.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Bull pooky.

Social evolution.

There you go T&A gallore, no need to watch or comment on what beauty pageants are doing, now is there?

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Hey I'm not losing anything. I was merely stating how draconian they were going with it to advance their social advocacy platform. I got other things to occupy my time other than being told "This is how women are supposed to behave or talk about."

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Hey I'm not losing anything. I was merely stating how draconian they were going with it to advance their social advocacy platform. I got other things to occupy my time other than being told "This is how women are supposed to behave or talk about."

This is women defining women's beauty, so yeah, just ignore what women want.

link   

Bull pooky.

Social evolution.

I tried that same pose. . . .

link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Bull pooky.

Social evolution.

There you go T&A gallore, no need to watch or comment on what beauty pageants are doing, now is there?

Exactly. We've evolved past that. Do boys even look forward to the Sear's Wish Book today? I doubt it.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Decades of women transitioning from full coverage swim suit to bikini while telling everyone it's for their rights as women...

Now decades later they claim strutting almost naked in public in a bikini is anti women...

Poor people... Always doing what is trendy. The Western world forgot to think for themselves.

Had people not stopped thinking for themselves, the swim suit would not be part of the contest. Furthermore the contest would not exist.

link   

Bull pooky.

Social evolution.

Seriously, she is in a one piece bathing suit? You are actually mad she has very good physical attributes and claim she is showing T&A? Are you blind?

link   

Bull pooky.

Social evolution.

Exactly. We've evolved past that. Do boys even look forward to the Sear's Wish Book today? I doubt it.

Exactly, so the question for me remains is what is the purpose of these pageants?

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join