It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart to remove Confederate flag items from its stores.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: whatmakesyouright

It's capitalism. Someone makes money off every situation, good or bad. The flag gets removed from the capitol grounds and appears all over for a few months in protest. Then it's back to same old, same old.

People will get bored with the issue and start up a new one to replace it. What that is, the news will tell the society.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
Yeah, lets erase everything that offends people....
Funny how people's reactions to a to a FLAG

I'm offended by foreign cars, can we ban those as well? How about anchovies? They offend me too! Lets ban those next!

How about banning people who whine about every little thing that offends them???

Not so funny when you realize its just a scape goat its all it is.......

More division tactics and pandering, causing an uproar , divert, discract, make a patsy......

You know........since SC is not in full blown riot mode, they have to create something

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Plus, this move by Wal Mart simply means some Chinese company is going to go out of business.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Plus, this move by Wal Mart simply means some Chinese company is going to go out of business.

Silver lining. Maybe it will have an impact on China's carbon footprint.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

Being obtuse doesn't change reality.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
So if some one does this with the US flag.
they will stop selling that too?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
For those who are calling the flag in question the Confederate flag, or the Stars and Bars, I present to you the real Stars and Bars.

The flag in question was the Battle flag for Northern Virginia troops under General Lee, as well as the Naval Jack. It was square, and only a component of the 2nd and 3rd Confederate flags.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I haven't read every page so forgive me if this was posted.

Confederate-Themed Barbecue Sauce

You may remember the raucous debate about whether the Confederate flag should be flown over the South Carolina State House in 2000, but you probably didn't know the battle spilled over into Walmart's grocery aisles. At the time, 90 Southern Walmart stores were marketing a mustard-based sauce created by Maurice Bessinger, an outspoken advocate of flying the Rebel flag over the State House and owner of eight Piggie Park restaurants.

During the flag debate, Bessinger replaced all American flags at his eateries with Confederate flags, a move that Walmart saw as objectionable and needlessly provocative, so the company yanked his sauces from its stores. (Don't feel too bad for Bessinger, though; it took nothing less than a 1976 Supreme Court intervention to force him to serve African Americans in his restaurants.)

Some more...

10 Things Walmart Has Yanked Off the Shelf

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

Being obtuse doesn't change reality.

So no real reply, just reverting to a bad attempt at sounding important. That's all we get? I really feel some on here don't understand what reality is. Your reality is not what everyone else buys. At least you can go into Walmart without being offended.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Thank goodness they stopped selling the confederate flag.

The more flags we get off the streets, the less of a chance for a flag to shoot up a church, school, etc.

Who in their right mind would buy a gun for a flag in the first place?

Also, the confederate flag means The General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard. I'm an 80's kid.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
What was the flag that was flown when the government was killing Native Americans? If people in this country could pick something worth fighting over that would actually make a difference for EVERYONE, our country would be so much more productive and start to be the place it once was and not a shadow of itself.
edit on 22090000006 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The dynamics of racism in this country have changed somewhat over the last several decades. The numbers of blacks born and raised in poverty, among gangs and violence, feeling hopeless and without opportunity, and have been programmed to blame whites for all of their problems. Their hatred runs deep, and should be more alarming than it is.

The problem is that there is no perceptible decrease in the numbers of hard core white racists either.

The potential for widespread racial violence is perhaps higher than it has been in decades.

There really are no easy answers prohibition of the confederate flag, or steps to remove it from public display aren't going to resolve these issues unfortunately. It isn't that simple.

But it is a symbol of racism, a dark history that is better left in the history books and not proudly displayed in public...

imo

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
Yeah, lets erase everything that offends people....
Funny how people's reactions to a to a FLAG

I'm offended by foreign cars, can we ban those as well? How about anchovies? They offend me too! Lets ban those next!

How about banning people who whine about every little thing that offends them???

Does this mean you're asking to be banned?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
Who in their right mind would buy a gun for a flag in the first place?

Isn't that the definition of the 2nd Amendment?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

LOL Wasn't the US military caught using flags that were made in China? I think the US military banned Chinese-made American flags because of that.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

originally posted by: beezzer
They made a symbolic gesture to get rid of a symbol of slavery.

And in doing so, gave power to that symbol.

Symbols never hurt anyone. (Unless the symbol was a cross and you were a vampire or an athiest. )

But now that flag, that flag has been infused with power. It is now the symbol of racism. It is the symbol of a mass murder in a church.

Now the racists have a flag that they can rally around.

The confederate flag may have respresented many things before last week.

But now it will only mean one thing from now on.

Nailed it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you for directing me to your last post. I agree with your post, excepting just 2 things.

IMO, I have seen a decrease in racism. Folks I grew up with that were racist as all get out, have mellowed and changed as we have grown older. Hard core racists I know very little about, other than those I dealt with in the prison system. White supremacist groups have been with us a long time. I don't know if they are growing or not, but The average American has grown away from that.

As I stated in an earlier post, everywhere we look, someone will find something they consider racist, or a micro-aggression that offends them, or they feel is an unintended indignity. Do we rewrite history because someone may be offended?

Yes, hard core racists have co-opted many symbols that is not their right to do so, but ignorance cannot be the driving force behind our daily lives. IMO.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
And you know what? Banning a flag, icon, monument or anything else isn't going to magically end racism.

Open communication, education, integration and exposure to people not like yourself is what's going to make positive, forward change.

I'm grateful to have black friends that I can talk openly and honestly with. Through them, I can get to understand what life is like for them. I won't ever be able to know exactly what its like to be them, but by being a friend, coworker and colleague with them -- I can get a bit of perspective. I hope that the street runs both ways too.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Good on walmart its about time!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join