It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart to remove Confederate flag items from its stores.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

You can't separate the history of racism from that flag, as a symbol.

Can you separate that flag from history? It is a part of American history, however tragic it may be.

How can you justify being proud of it?

I have seen not one person say they are proud of it, other than some racist groups who have co-opted this flag as their symbol. I hate to see history revised to appease a few folks and allow them to boast of what they have done.

There are two evils that worry me equally. Radical Islam, and racism.

It's just a flag, right?

Although many have been called racist for not adhering to others beliefs. I don't see racists here, rather people who don't believe in maintaining history as it really happened, good or bad.

Why are so many vehement about getting rid of this flag?

It's just a flag, right?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

Right...

Go into any working class bar in the South where the stars and bars are proudly displayed. Just maintaining history? LOL

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
What is shocking about a man doing this after the media has been whipping up the race issue for months and months due to the shootings in Ferguson and other places. The man said someone had to do something. Given 10s of thousands of people with hate in their heart, one was almost certain to go nuts.

Bringing the issue into light almost certainly with bring the good and bad from both sides. The question is when and how is a middle found. History says it is a difficult task.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Wow! Okay, this totally changes how I feel about Wal Mart.

Said no one ever.....

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
a reply to: jaynkeel

If history has taught us anything, it's that it NEVER ends. Once the Confederate flag is buried in dustbins across the country, those demanding its removal will just move on to the next target, and there will always be a 'next target'.

And there's the answer.... I goes on and on and on. This is nothing more than a bullet on someones "Let's get rid of that list". Agendas. I don't really care at all about it. Walmart? Really... those fools will jump on any bandwagon to make a buck or get folks into there stores. Not me. I have a Super center Seven miles from my place and haven't been in it in three years..HA! (Guess I'm that stubborn)

But this Fag will be a big issue. I have been through the South many times and have many "Rebel" Friends. I have talked with them about it and they are DISTURBED! Seems quite a few of there Ancestors died following that flag.. well you certainly get the idea here.. It won't stop. Getting rid of a flag won't stop racism, just piss off more people and make this much worse...

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
First and foremost, the confederate flag is objectively just a crappy flag. It looks like fetish-wear... the stripes should be leather, the stars should be chrome and there should be hairy man boobs on either side of the X.

Second, there are VERY few people out there who sound the least bit credible when they say it has some historical or cultural significance that they actually understand and value. For most it's a simple yes/no on whether or not you're broke and bitter and want to come up at somebody else's expense.

Third, that still doesn't mean anyone is making a serious effort to expunge the flag from history or existence. The government can't do it because that's up to a vote. Business chooses not to because it's less profitable. But anyone who wants to be unpopular and unsuccessful has every right to put on their rebel flag and go win friends and influence people... but after that whole rodesia patch warning sign thing don't be surprised if the police ask you if you'd like to go to burger king and have a little chat- just as a matter of due diligence.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Wow! Okay, this totally changes how I feel about Wal Mart.

Said no one ever.....

Bwahahahaha......

It's no biggie though. They aren't calling for a ban on it, just buy it elsewhere. A business move. They made it where they are for a reason.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
POSTED FOR YOUR FREEDOM!

THANK ME LATER!

edit on 6/22/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I was born and raised in the south.

I used to have a hat back in my younger days that had the Confederate Flag on one side and the American Flag on the other...in the middle it said.... American by birth...Southern by the grace of God. I never thought of it as anything but cool at the time.

That was 40 years ago and I have grown much since then.

The flag itself means nothing. It's just a piece of cloth. Unfortunately it has become a favorite symbol for white supremacist and nothing is going to change that. It's archaic and really needs to just go away.

If you can't comprehend why blacks are offended by the Stars and Bars, then you need to read the Confederate Constitution. Especially the part where it says In all such territory, the institution of negro slavery as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress

So to say that the flag doesn't represent slavery isn't true. It represents a group of people who believed amongst other things that negros should only be thought of as slaves. Believing that negros had no other purpose on this planet other than being slaves might not of have been considered racist back in the 1800's, but I can gaurantee you that it is by today's standards.

For those that feel that the Confederate flag is simply a representation of the southerners rights to free themselves from what they believe was an oppressive government, please by all means, take the Stars and Bars and proudly wave it as you walk down the middle of any neighborhood with a large black population. Explain to the 40 or 50 people who will quickly gather around you that it simply represents the South's efforts to free itself from the tyrannical government of the north. Get back to us on how that works out for you.

edit on R592015-06-22T19:59:55-05:00k596Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
"As a people we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause. ... As a national emblem, it is significant of our higher cause, the cause of a superior race, and a higher civilization contending against ignorance, infidelity, and barbarism. Another merit in the new flag is, that it bears no resemblance to the now infamous banner of the Yankee vandals."

- William T. Thompson... Confederate Flag Designer...

LoL.
Keep saying it's not a symbol of absolute racism.

Denial is strong on some.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
HOW'S THIS FOR FREEDOM?

Are you trying to be ironic?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: The Vagabond
First and foremost, the confederate flag is objectively just a crappy flag.

I've always been fond of its appearance, to be honest. Maybe it was being a child in the '70s and early '80s, watching The Dukes of Hazzard, I don't know, but I've always liked the look of it.

(For the record, Boston born and bred)
edit on 6/22/2015 by ProfessorChaos because: correction

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Well, the whole thing is just laughable. If you like Wal Mart, this isn't going to change your mind. Same if you hate it.

Economically fragile consumers are the absolute bread and butter for Wal Mart, many of which are African-American or Redneck or Southern. Are any of those going to stop shopping there? No. In fact, in most towns across America, Wal Mart is the only game in town.

Wal Mart didn't really have to weigh in on this at all. So why did they? Because Wal Mart is so politically correct? My turn to BWAHAHAHA!

edit on 6/22/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: proob4
HOW'S THIS FOR FREEDOM?

Are you trying to be ironic?
I edited it, maybe the picture/message is more clear?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

For me it's southern rock. Not just Skynyrd. Hey, I grew up in the 70's. Like I said earlier, it's perception. I don't think these guys were racist but the flag is tainted. Like the Swastika.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
New small business opportunity to take over the middle man spot for flags and other items.

The risk, don't know.

Just saying...

I'm with this guy. Especially if Amazon and Ebay drops the flag.

I have never owned a confederate flag piece of material in my life, and could care less, but ... a business opportunity such as this only comes once in a lifetime.

By the way, I see the flag all the time in upstate NY. I live in rural areas. That's in reference to everyone acting as if the flag is only seen in the South.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: retiredTxn

Right...

Go into any working class bar in the South where the stars and bars are proudly displayed. Just maintaining history? LOL

That's their business, not mine. I could have sworn we are discussing the battle flag and not the "Stars and Bars".
They are two completely different things. I can never say that everyone who flies the battle flag has intentions of "maintaining history", and you should know that as well.

Try Googleing the history of the flag before jumping into the discussion.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

a reply to: intrepid

Wal Mart didn't really have to weigh in on this at all. So why did they?

Seems like just a public showing of 'PC Piety'. Like a kid at Christmas time that has been bad all year and then tries to do a few nice things to counter all the 'naughty' points they've accrued.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

For me it's southern rock. Not just Skynyrd. Hey, I grew up in the 70's. Like I said earlier, it's perception. I don't think these guys were racist but the flag is tainted. Like the Swastika.

I think it's only tainted depending on who's looking at it.

And
for the Southern Rock.
edit on 6/22/2015 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Wal Mart didn't really have to weigh in on this at all. So why did they? Because Wal Mart is so politically correct? My turn to BWAHAHAHA!

A business getting into politics? Hmm. Chick-fil-A comes to mind.

Btw, I'm actually agreeing with you.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join