It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart to remove Confederate flag items from its stores.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I think it depends on which media outlets you go to -- I'm seeing people who support the flag in an uproar, and sure people are calling for it to be taken down, but they are not nearly as vehement about it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

PC weaklings, and simpletons! This is what our country has become full of.

The day before this horrible incident, no problem with the Battle Flag flying. If someone was offended, they turned away or ignored it. Today, it's more racist than any symbol known to man. When and where will it stop?

Students at the University of Texas are starting a petition to remove monuments from the grounds of the school that may be offensive to some. Why not just remove ALL monuments, museum displays, text, and pictures of the Civil War from the entire country?

Anything that may someday accidentally offend someone's precious sensibilities.

People in this country need to grow a pair now, before it's too late. What's next?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

if they offend someone, you bet!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I'm not being repetitive but could you name some of those sources I would like to look at them. I became aggravated sorting through Google about the lack of knowledge about the Civil War anywhere I want .

If you don't want to post them here p.m. them to me I would honestly like to see them .

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
its so funny seeing all the racist people on ats get mad
edit on 22-6-2015 by duesprimusvictorimmortali because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
It seems to me (from what I've read here and across the internet) that the people who support the Confederate flag are making a bigger deal about it than the people who don't like it and want it taken down from state property. It seems they are the ones yelling and complaining the most about having to take down their flag.

Just an interesting observation. Something to sit for a second and go "Hm" about.

Wait... so the people DEMANDING changes be made are making a lesser deal over this than the people who don't want to change and desire to remain in a status quo position?

I'm sorry, but by definition of change vs no-change, your statement is contradictory.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

I wasn't kidding either. I brought up a rather lengthy post about this and at the time I believed a lot of it was tongue-in-cheek . Imagine my surprise when this thread popped out ?

ATS thread

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: retiredTxn
Today, it's more racist than any symbol known to man.

Nah, that still goes to the Swastika. And Eastern symbol that was perverted. It's all about perception. They're making a call. It's all "M'eh" to me.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

What I'm saying is depending on where you look, the people demanding change aren't making as much noise as the people resisting the change. The pro-flag people seem to have their volumes up a lot louder than the people asking for the flag to be taken down from state property.

Now this Walmart thing...I'm just shaking my head.

I agree with just about everyone here, it's just a flag. The only power it has is that which people give it. It never meant anything to me, and it continues to not mean anything to me.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Just take a look right here on this forum...There's plenty of people up in arms over keeping the flag around. Turn on Fox News and listen to the talking heads.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'm white, I grew up in the south. I've seen racism and learned to understand why blacks see the confederate flag as a symbol of racism.

To me, having seen how white racists think, and what they say amongst themselves when talking about blacks and listening to stories of brutality from the past that were met with drunken laughter, and a few "hell yeah(s)" and seeing how many of these people were proud racists, and would display that godforsaken flag everywhere they could... Maybe getting rid of it is a good thing.

You can't separate the history of racism from that flag, as a symbol.

How can you justify being proud of it?

There are two evils that worry me equally. Radical Islam, and racism.

It's just a flag, right?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

In our defense, we live in a country where an activist minority has a history of ramrodding changes through despite the lack of intelligence and ridiculousness in those changes. We raise our voices because politely discussing it in civilized tones has gotten us nowhere but hind teat time and time again.

(Same reason the Redskins argument generates loud outcry from even non-Washington fans. I grew up delighted by Chief Nock-a-homa cavorting around at Braves games... he disappeared when people who saw him as a beloved mascot failed to raise their voices above the few who were determined to remove him from existence.)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
Yeah, lets erase everything that offends people....
Funny how people's reactions to a to a FLAG

I'm offended by foreign cars, can we ban those as well? How about anchovies? They offend me too! Lets ban those next!

How about banning people who whine about every little thing that offends them???

It's not banned. They are reacting to public pressure which is how capitalism is supposed to work.

If your offense of foreign cars was shared by enough people, I'm sure certain car lots wouldn't sell them. In fact, many car lots pride themselves on only selling American to cater to people like that already.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Hey, you won't get any argument out of me...

I just find it interesting that's all. I've already made my position known: it's a damned piece of cloth. If only has power if you give it power.

One thing I don't understand is, there have been lots of racially motivated murders in the last 50 years. Some of these were white on black murders (not mass murder, but just a single homicide) -- and the shooter may have had a Confederate bumper sticker.

What I don't understand is WHY NOW? Why is this becoming an issue NOW?

This almost seems pre-planned, as if some people had an agenda and a plan to get the flag taken down in the event of something like this. There's just no way so much of an outrcry for it to be taken down could come in so swiftly.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
I joke about this earlier.

What are they going to do next ban Lynyrd Skynyrd ?

If they do, they really ought to go out of business for it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Great the company that treats it's employees like slaves is jumping on the bandwagon, that is awesome!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Being a Yankee I see it as the flag being a symbol of hate but also a symbol of ancestry pride,and not necessarily negative pride but perhaps remembering the soldiers in family ranks. But more and more forcing people to take it down or hide it is about as stupid as making churches take down the cross from the steeple. Where does it end?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: jaynkeel

If history has taught us anything, it's that it NEVER ends. Once the Confederate flag is buried in dustbins across the country, those demanding its removal will just move on to the next target, and there will always be a 'next target'.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What transparent pandering by Walmart to keep poor people coming in to buy their Chinese Junk.

It's a shame Walmart doesn't care more for their employees and those sweatshop workers making their shoddy products.

I would much rather shop in a local mom and pop store and pay a little more for good service and quality products.

edit on 22-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

originally posted by: Greathouse
I joke about this earlier.

What are they going to do next ban Lynyrd Skynyrd ?

If they do, they really ought to go out of business for it.

I would not be surprised in the least if Walmart saw a backlash from this move . That place has virtually annihilated mom-and-pop businesses now they're moving on to our heritage?

"Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself"

Supreme Court justice potter Stewart .

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join