It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2015

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
some more info about Japan earthquakes
see if your perceptions are correct about where the action has been in 2015
of the 41,022 earthquakes above M1
out of the 264 "regions" that NIED/JMA use
the top 20 for 2015 are;
number of quakes, region
2647, NEAR AMAMI-OSHIMA ISLAND
2161, E OFF FUKUSHIMA PREF
1768, E OFF MIYAGI PREF
1312, NW OFF ISHIGAKIJIMA IS
969, NEAR OKINAWAJIMA ISLAND
857, NORTHERN IBARAKI PREF
850, NEAR CHOSHI CITY
794, HYUGANADA REGION
790, NW OFF OKINAWAJIMA IS
746, E OFF IWATE PREF
713, E OFF IBARAKI PREF
706, FAR E OFF SANRIKU
633, NEAR ISHIGAKIJIMA ISLAND
619, NEAR MIYAKOJIMA ISLAND
599, HAKONE REGION
600, SE OFF MIYAGI PREF
596, E OFF AOMORI PREF
586, TAIWAN REGION
557, NEAR TANEGASHIMA ISLAND
499, SOUTHERN IBARAKI PREF

HYUGANADA REGION was a surprise for me, as I didn't think it was such a hot spot, can't say I noticed it much as I went through the daily postings of the maps. Hense the earlier post day before yesterday about that 5.2.

Now see how many questions that list raises, how many potential maps, graphs and summaries there can be ............
take the top spot, NEAR AMAMI-OSHIMA ISLAND, which is between Okinawa and Kyushu, all those quakes, and the biggest one was only a M5.1!
mag1= 1778 , mag2= 635 , mag3= 74 , mag4= 11 , mag5= 1
when did the 5.1 occur in the timeline?, where those others aftershocks or just normal background seismicity?
something for another day .....
too bad Bing only will show 200 icons/markers, (as does the new Google mapping system) it kind of limits what I can do now. I can still do static maps over 200 though.

edit on 0800000024024015 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

Hey Muzzy and all!
Last night I watched a documentary on slow quakes and Japan's mega thrust EQs.
I found it to be rather interesting because I have never heard of slow quakes and the link they are discovering between them and mega thrusts.

It gave me a rather clear understanding of how they work, what they are, and also how Japan is concerned about another mega thrust.

I figured I should share it as it seems to be a relatively newly discovered part of the mega thrust mystery.
If you have an hour this Saturday morning, give it a watch!

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I found quakes of the last couple of weeks to be pretty stagnant compared to the 1st half of the year.
Nothing really outstanding IMO and pretty boring to observe to be honest. However it feels like there is an EQ somewhere every 30 minutes not expert enough to say if that is normal or not

But one may wonder if that is the calm before the storm or nothing to worry about.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

originally posted by: muzzy
Now see how many questions that list raises, how many potential maps, graphs and summaries there can be ............
take the top spot, NEAR AMAMI-OSHIMA ISLAND, which is between Okinawa and Kyushu, all those quakes, and the biggest one was only a M5.1!
mag1= 1778 , mag2= 635 , mag3= 74 , mag4= 11 , mag5= 1
when did the 5.1 occur in the timeline?, where those others aftershocks or just normal background seismicity?
something for another day .....
too bad Bing only will show 200 icons/markers, (as does the new Google mapping system) it kind of limits what I can do now. I can still do static maps over 200 though.

Dementia is setting in!, i already covered that at the time. link posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:20 AM
Anyway I decided to take it out from 24 hrs to 7 days.
Again like Hyuganada just when it looks like its settling down, boom another one goes off (although the aftershocks are small) (see graph on link below). But its not complying with Bath's Law which states that the difference in magnitude between a main shock and its largest aftershock is approximately constant, independent of the main shock magnitude, typically 1.1–1.2 less on the magnitude scale. Maybe Baths Law doesn't apply to Japan. I'll have to do some more moderate sized quakes ( M5's) aftershock series to see.

Near Amami-Oshima Island 22-29052015 M5.2 and aftershocks 7 days page

edit on 0800000024024015 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

I wonder if that would help Mother Nature to heal the contaminated oceans? Could it help burn some of the radiation?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Ok, thats a rare one. Quakes in that location didn't happen for at least 8 months based on the site i found the info of course.

Magnitude M 4.4 (Dowgraded to 4.2)
Region SLOVENIA
Date time 2015-08-29 18:47:04.4 UTC
Location 46.29 N ; 13.70 E
Depth 10 km

www.emsc-csem.org...
edit on 29-8-2015 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Eagleyedobserver
Depends where you get your info and how low magnitude you go
its been 15 days since the last 6.5+
Japan has an earthquake on average every 8 minutes 51 seconds, based on 26/08/2015 data.
New Zealand every 22 minutes 51 seconds ( same date basis)
throw in everywhere else and its probably about every 5 minutes.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Magnitude 4.8
Region SOUTHERN XINJIANG, CHINA
Date time 2015-08-29 20:26:21.3 UTC
Location 40.40 N ; 77.49 E
Depth 1 km

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

Not sure how that would help.
I might be just misunderstanding your question.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing the video!! Very interesting, informative, well worth the time to watch.

Here's a good article about the same type quakes in Cascadia and how ocean tides also have some action in the movements.

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com... n-fault/

edit on 29-8-2015 by SeekingDepth because: more info

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

Thanks for sharing that link!

So tidal forces also add to the experience and could be part of the trigger.

The next slow-slip event is expected to begin sometime this fall or winter. The Cascadia fault and the one responsible for Nepal’s devastation are both boundaries where tectonic plates collide. In Nepal, the Indian subcontinent is being forced under Central Asia, while in the Northwest, the seafloor is diving — or subducting — under North America. Even though the faults aren’t identical, geologists say the Cascadia analysis could help improve the broader understanding of when and how such plate boundaries rupture, generating some of the world’s most powerful quakes.

For the study published Monday in the journal Nature Geoscience, UW geophysicist Heidi Houston analyzed tens of thousands of faint tremors under Washington’s Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island between 2007 and 2012. The tiny quakes occur when tectonic plates slip slowly past each other 20 miles or more underground. These slow-slip events last for several weeks and can propagate 100 miles or more north and south. The pattern repeats roughly every 12 to 14 months.

Scientists and self-styled seers alike have long been intrigued by a possible link between earthquakes and gravitational and tidal forces, said UW earth sciences professor Ken Creager, who was not involved in Houston’s study.

The idea is that fluctuating tidal forces should raise and lower the strain on faults, causing them to snap. But despite decades of study, the impact on regular quakes has proved negligible. Creager and his colleagues were among the first to show that the story is very different with slow slip. They found a clear link between tremor rates and tide cycles in the complex topography of the Pacific Northwest.

During some phases, the minute changes in pressure encourage tremor; during other phases, tremor is inhibited. Houston delved into the data in more detail and found that when a portion of the fault first begins to slip, it’s not very sensitive to tidal effects. But as the tremor continues over several days, the fault weakens and the tidal pull becomes a much more dominant factor. “We think the stress causes the fault to start slipping faster,” Houston said

Wow!
Although you can't say one will happen for certainty, this sure does help to kind of give a warning of when one might occur.
edit on 29-8-2015 by Darkblade71 because: Mind blown!

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzy
a reply to: Eagleyedobserver
Japan has an earthquake on average every 8 minutes 51 seconds, based on 26/08/2015 data.
New Zealand every 22 minutes 51 seconds ( same date basis)

Japan every 8 minutes 39 seconds for 28/08/2015
so it seems to be pretty consistent
I guess a major quake would change that frequency though

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I can't hear what they are saying, as I have no sound on my laptop now.
I followed that slow-slip in South Honshu for a while here
but nothing much was happening.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
2 new, felt Earthquakes:

Magnitude 5
Region NEPAL
Date time 2015-08-30 13:17:30.0 UTC
Location 27.72 N ; 85.75 E
Depth 10 km

+

Magnitude 4.5
Region SOUTHERN GREECE
Date time 2015-08-30 13:28:03.3 UTC
Location 37.88 N ; 21.27 E
Depth 5 km

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Thanks for posting the Doc. I wasn't able to watch it til now.

This Doc is very informative, like how different parts of plates move in different directions. That has always confused me.

TA did a thread a couple of years ago about the area around Tokoyo and how the plate was twisting. I have to look that up, it too was very informative.

Puterman has taught me energy release is something you have to look at. This doc talks about that too.

I would recommend this video to any of us armchair earthquake watcher. LOL!

I plan on watching it again this afternoon.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is one of TA's threads about this area. There was also another one which I can't seem to find.
edit on 30-8-2015 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

Another really good article about slow slip and the cyclical movements of these plates.

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed the read.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
further to post: muzzy
won't put the lid on it yet but looks like that 3.5 might be the Bath aftershock (the biggest)

rightclickviewimageforfullgraphsize

new focus on SW Shizuoka Pref. Honshu, port town of Jitogata, 5km from Hamaoka Nuclear Power Plant!
and 21km from the Median Tectonic Line (the red swish)
24 quakes 29/08/2015, not sure if that 3.6 is the mainshock, or there could be more to come .........

rightclickviewimageforfullgraphsize

as I said before there is always something going on in Japan, I look for the clusters

edit on 0800000024124115 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
11 minutes ago
Haven't felt a quake here for a while, I "heard" this one though, the house creaked (more so than it usually does when the Sun comes out)
Public ID 2015p653589
Intensity strong
Universal Time August 30 2015, 19:52:40
NZ Standard Time Mon, Aug 31 2015, 7:52:40 am
Depth 8 km
Magnitude 4.3
Location 5 km east of Eketahuna
Latitude, Longitude -40.65, 175.74
Agency WEL(GNS_Primary)
Type earthquake
Status reviewed
www.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

To me earth is like a body, and when a body gets an infection it creates a fever to burn out the infection.

Call me childish, but my question was aimed at the possibility of magma burning off some of the radiation from Fukashima which is killing our oceans.

No need to reply, did not mean to derail, always pop in to read this time I wrote my thoughts in post rather than keeping to myself...

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Anyone noticing the swarm in Oregon ??

It's been a while since I've seen them swarm like this...

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join