It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not Urgent, Not Important, Dont Bother Clicking On This Thread: Britain To Freeze To Death

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I note that people say it's a natural event like that means it's a good event, I don't want to live in a Maunder Minimum era, around the world food crops will fail when compared to what we regard as the norm.

In 1800 when the Thames used to ice up we had a pop of about 6 million one tenth what it is today, in the dark ages when the Normans came about 2 mill, those are the kind of pop figures that the UK could support when rthe weather was crap, of course with modern methods available to us those figures will be higher but there wont be many countries will export their food to us and life will be bloody hard, no thanks I aspire to more for my kids.

None of the UK's utilities are buried deep enough to survive a consistent prolonged freeze and our roads can't cope thus food and other essentials can't move around the country, if this weather pattern continues for another 1.5 years I'm certainly gona consider selling up my family's property in the UK and moving South, before property values shrink when everyone gets the same idea.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
For some it is the start of an ice age and for some it is a medium harsh winter

+ 20 C - Greeks put on sweaters (if they can find them)
+ 15 C - Hawaiians turn on the heaters (if they have them)
+ 10 C - Americans shake, Russians are planting cucumbers.
+ 5 C - You can see your own breathing. Italian cars don't start. Norwegians take a bath in lakes. Russians drive with lowered windows.
0 C - Water freezes in America, in Russia it thickens.
- 5 C - French cars don't start.
- 10 C - You're planning a vacation to Australia.
- 15 C - Your cat insists to sleep in your bed. Norwegians put on sweaters.
- 18 C - New York landlords turn on the heaters. Russians make their last seasonal picnic.
- 20 C - American cars don't start. People in Alaska start wearing long-sleeves. For some the ice age has begun.
- 25 C - German cars don't start. Hawaiians are dead.
- 30 C - Politicians start talking about homeless people. Your cat prefers to sleep in your pajamas.
- 35 C - Too cold to think. Japanese cars don't start.
- 40 C - You're planning a 2-week hot tub bath. Swedish cars don't start.
- 42 C - Transportation stops in Europe. Russians eat ice cream on the street.
- 45 C - All Greeks are dead. Policians really start doing something for the homeless.
- 50 C - Your eyelids start sticking when you blink. In Alaska, people close the window in the bathroom.
- 60 C - White bears start moving south.
- 70 C - The hell froze.
- 73 C - Finnish special services evacuate Santa Claus from Lapland. Russians wear earmuff hats.
- 80 C - Lawyers put their hands in their own pockets.
-114 C - Ethyl alcohol is freezing. Russians are pissed.
edit on 12/12/10 by Thill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Text-114 C - Ethyl alcohol is freezing. Russians are pissed.

it made absolutely no difference then.

it's a win win for russians.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Lost in america

Think you used the wrong graphic, that one is sea height not current speeds..... The average speed in the gulf is 3.5-4 knotts, when it goes up the east coast to Britan it slows to 1.5 knotts... it does stall and return off and on all year..BUT....it has stalled more this year then previous... Oh you probably want proof... well its on the site you were at .. here is the page for the last 2 years of the flow in animation..seems to have slowed drasticly to me.

(1) I was using the same information as Dr Zangari therefore in the context of my reply the graphic was not wrong.

(2) Yes it is sea height. How do you think they measure the flow from satellites? Dangling a meter in the water? No, they use altimeters. What do altimeters measure? Height! Perhaps before commenting you might take the time to investigate what you are commenting on.

Surface Current Information

You might also find this of interest. The Gulf Stream. To be fair it is not just height as measured from satellites. Drifting buoys are also used and these measure currents, temperature and salinity (another important factor in the thermohaline conveyor) The temperature gradient plays a part as well, particularly with regard to the atmospheric effects.

Drifters in the North Atlantic right now. (Red SST, Blue SST and SLP - Sea Level Presure)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d4e18a6b5535.png[/atsimg]

Many scientists, however, are warning that the North Atlantic might cool down, perhaps by the turn of the century. Paradoxically, global warming would be to blame. Rising temperatures may trigger events that could not only slow the supply of tropical water flowing north, it could disrupt the entire ocean circulation pattern.

This scenario has led to wild talk of the start of a new ice age, a notion that climate scientists universally dismiss. Still the impact on the world’s climate could be profound. Scientists are therefore scrambling to gather data on ocean circulation and the forces that drive it.

Source: NASA Ocean Motion

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Originally posted by Phantom traveller

Originally posted by rajaten
reply to post by mars1

Do you think the weather is out of the norm?

Is this year much different from the last few?

In Greece it is for sure.Until yesterday afternoon we had in Athens 15C to 20C degrees.Yesterday morning when i went to work wearing a tshirt and a light jacket,the sun was shining and no clouds in the sky.Suddenly at about 16:00 it started getting cloudy and the temperature dropped to about 5C.By 21:00 it had dropped more and it was snowing.Now tell me that this is normal.
Usually when we see snow in Athens there is a gradual drop of the temperature.It gets cold and then colder and colder.This is the first time that temperature dropped 15 degrees in a matter of hours.

I'm afraid your information is flawed...the temp did NOT drop 15 degrees in a matter of hours

check the link from the NOAA Athens Temp Last 24 Hours

I was there you know.I didn't check it on the net.I have a thermometer in my store those were the readings outside in the center of Athens.In the nothern suburbs where i live the temperature was even lower.
Today on the other hand although it's cold,no clouds in the sky and i dare to say the sun is shining.

+ 20 C - Greeks put on sweaters (if they can find them)

The truth is it took an archeological dig to find my sweaters.
But like a new Indiana Jones i found them

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
All i know is the UK has been having very abnormal weather for this time of year, I'm not talking about any particular part, i'm talking about UK as a whole, we have been breaking records for snow fall and low temps, i'm not saying the gulf stream has stopped but something defanitely isn't right, and yes, this type of weather might be normal if you live in america, russia or the scottish highlands, but i'm talking about the UK and no, its NOT normal AT ALL.

Also i'd just like to add, don't even bother quoting the metoffice or many of the other websites because they are wrong %90 of the time! last year they told us a barbecue summer and mild winter, yet we had a terrible summer and one of the worst winters on record, unless you do your own research and your a climate scientist your just quoting somebody elses work which could very well be wrong.
edit on 12-12-2010 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by kix
Some Facts because this thread seem to be lacking a lot.

1) It is not winter yet, so those who say " we have seen worse winters here in the UK, please rephrase "we have had colder autumn before here in the UK" Please learn about solstices.

Definition

solstice noun
/ˈsɒl.stɪs//ˈsɑːl-/ n [C]

either of the two occasions in the year when the sun is directly above either the furthest point north or the furthest point south of the equator that it ever reaches. These are the times in the year, in the middle of the summer or winter, when there are the longest hours of day or night

Source

Bold by me.

Depending on your point of view your statement could be deemed to be incorrect. Winter can be defined as running from the Autumnal equinox to the vernal equinox, and summer from the vernal equinox to the autumnal equinox.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Facts??? from where...? please back up your FACTS otherwise they are no better than anything else posted in this thread, im assuming your facts are well documented all over the internet? please show us some.

Originally posted by kix
Some Facts because this thread seem to be lacking a lot.

1) It is not winter yet, so those who say " we have seen worse winters here in the UK, please rephrase "we have had colder autumn before here in the UK" Please learn about solstices.

2) We have had worse conditions before in the so called "mini Ice age" and yes the Thames froze and If I remember correctly the even had a summer with snow and a frozen river.

3) Right now the carribean has record low temps and that is a fact and even if the gulf current is healthy and running strong, I dont know where the heat will come if the caribbean is cold to start with. (just google Can cun Record low temps and then check other temps around like fort laurerdale etc...)

4) Last time there was such extreme low tems, a lot of people died of starvation and was a disaster population-wise. This time with bigger cities and more people, things could get really nasty right away, just remember the cold in Canada a few years ago, were an emergency was declared due to lack of electricity and extreme cold.

5)Some of my friends (pilots) have reported that east bound flights have not encountered a lot of jet stream, in fact my flight on Nov 14 from NY to Mexico was 45 minutes shorter!

6)Its too early to tell, but here in MExico we are freezing in fact yesterday we were at 0 C (32f), and its NOT WINTER YET. Be prepared because if this gets really cold you wont have a chance to buy goodies if people panic.

I put 300Dlls in my Propane gas tank (560kgs) just in case and I have bought a watter purifier, and some extra food for a week, because lets face it, if the SHTF, everyone will try to buy food/gas/generators and such.....

my 2 pesos.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
reply to post by rajaten

On the contrary - what is NOT normal is the ridiculously mild and wet winters we've been having the past 20 years. You're just not old enough to know that. (I'm not trying to be rude here - that is simply a matter of fact).

Star for you, I'm in my mid 40's and it's only the last 15 years or so when we haven't had real snowy weather. Until the last couple of years we have had ridiculously mild winters and now we are back to what I remember as a child and as a teen.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Over dramatic... It is a cold winter but that is not unusual. Swarms of cold winters occur together..
The gulf stream does all soorts of weird and wonrerfull things...
kx

Couldn't say it better myself.

Make an "URGENT WE'RE GONNA DIEEEEE" thread, when the stream completely dies out for real. For atleast a month straight... not that we won't notice it ourselves.

What you have here is NORMAL behavior. People like the OP remind me of a really sensitive claymore mine... one fractional anomoly in the world and BOOOM! "Armageddon! Wikileaks Insurance File! Skynet is online! Assange is creepin' in your Window!"

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shikamaru

Over dramatic... It is a cold winter but that is not unusual. Swarms of cold winters occur together..
kx

Make an "URGENT WE'RE GONNA DIEEEEE" thread, when the stream completely dies out for real. For atleast a month straight... not that we won't notice it ourselves.

What you have here is NORMAL behavior. People like the OP remind me of a really sensitive claymore mine... one fractional anomoly in the world and BOOOM! "Armageddon! Wikileaks Insurance File! Skynet is online! Assange is creepin' in your Window!"

Says the dude whose siggy warns of impending doom next June!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Could the sheer volume of COREXIT oil dispersant (used by BP and endorsed by Obama during the oil disaster) be a catalyst that changes the gulf conveyer current?

It is a university level physics experiment to use a tub of cool water and inject a colored stream of warm water into it. You can see the boundary layers of the warm water stream. If you add oil to the tub it breaks down the boundary layers of the warm water stream and effectively destroys the current vorticity . This is what is happening in the Gulf of Mexico and in the Atlantic Ocean The use of Corexit and other dispersants by BP, w

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I live at the base of the foothills in Denver Colorado.....it's 2 weeks til Christmas and I am heading out to water my lawn this morning. Never done this before, never needed to. It's been mostly 50-60 this winter, and honestly can't remember the last time it snowed this year. I even bought a bad ass new shovel in October...hasn't been used once. I guess "strange weather patterns" are happening all over the world....it's weird really. Oh well, back to Tv watching and watering my lawn!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
New research indicates there is a 45 percent chance that the thermohaline circulation in the North Atlantic Ocean could shut down by the end of the century if nothing is done to slow greenhouse gas emissions.

Even with immediate climate policy action, say scientists, there would still be a 25 percent probability of a collapse of the system of currents that keep western Europe warmer than regions at similar latitudes in other parts of the world.

The Atlantic thermohaline circulation, better known as the Atlantic heat conveyor belt, is a system of currents in the Atlantic Ocean that result in a net transport of warm water into the northern hemisphere. A weakening of the system, which includes the Gulf Stream, could cause a cooling in northwest Europe and worsen droughts in equatorial Africa.

The research will be presented by Michael Schlesinger, a professor of atmospheric sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, tomorrow at the United Nations Climate Control Conference in Montreal.

"We found that there is a 70 percent likelihood of a thermohaline collapse, absent any climate policy," Schlesinger said in a statement, "Although this likelihood can be reduced by the policy intervention, it still exceeds 25 percent even with maximal policy intervention." Because the risk of a thermohaline collapse is unacceptably large, Schlesinger believes carbon capture and sequestration should be given serious consideration in addition to the policy measures -- like carbon taxes -- currently on the table.

news.mongabay.com...

Just thought I'd add this.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Hr2burn

It has been strange weather on the front range this season. Looks like we might break the record from 1888.

Denver could have record-dry start to snow season

The city is on track for one of the driest snow seasons in history, with only 1.5 inches of snow since July.

The average snowfall total by this time of the season is 25.6 inches.

The driest December on record was 1888, when 3.8 inches of snow fell on the city.

Question to everyone: If a rare pattern of weather for a region is fully documented as happening before you were born, but not in your lifetime; is it an apocalyptic event when it does occur in your lifetime?

edit on 12/12/10 by Ferris.Bueller.II because: Correct spelling.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I guess I should be thankful for the 80 degree December temps here in Phoenix then.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirTFiedSkeptic

Originally posted by Shikamaru

kx

Says the dude whose siggy warns of impending doom next June!

Part of an experiment studying human behavior. Which you just became a part of. hehe Thanks

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Depending on your point of view your statement could be deemed to be incorrect. Winter can be defined as running from the Autumnal equinox to the vernal equinox, and summer from the vernal equinox to the autumnal equinox.

I like my old 4 season view of the year.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
oh no cold weather!

come to the canadian north, and then say its a big deal

The UK has been hit by cold weather before. Maybe not quite this cold for the past 30 years.... but none the less, your sensationalized dribble pisses me off

hand on right bicep, arm held high

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Not sure if someone mentioned this already but wont this meant the gulf is going to get hotter?? like, a lot hotter...?

edit on 12-12-2010 by theUndecided because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join