It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not Urgent, Not Important, Dont Bother Clicking On This Thread: Britain To Freeze To Death

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
WARNING! WARNING! Disinformation present in the thread:

Britain and Europe are heading into a winter unlike any seen in our life times. This is because the gulf stream is gone. The gulf of Mexico BP oil spill killed the gulf loop which is the driving force of the gulf stream. In the past it has brought warm water and air over to the coast of Ireland and the UK, which is the main reason we don't already suffer winters on a par with n.Canada and Russia. Well, the gulf stream is gone - and we are heading into a winter that this country simply cannot cope with. We have already seen a horrendous start to the UK winter with more set to follow next week, with forecasters saying its going to be here til Xmas (that's as far as they forecast folks! this is here for the long haul)

Note: Title and OP adjusted and adapted to satisfy the ATS members:

-- Apparently this is very normal and nothing to worry about...

-- Apparently trying to present information relevant to humanity is not permitted unless accompanied with a lengthy personal opinion despite facts in a video that speaks for itself...

-- Note the stars attributed to anything derailing this thread... Spreading truth is difficult as of late...
edit on 11-12-2010 by rajaten because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Dec 12 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten

Ice age cometh?

Is that really all you have to contribute to your own OP?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

edit on 11-12-2010 by rajaten because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I mean your own personal opinion on this subject. It was limited to just a few words. I find this topic interesting but I want to see the OP provide their own opinion on something instead of just throwing around videos and articles.

I see you added me as a respected foe, seems a rather petty reason but that’s not for me to decide. All I was doing is providing a little constructive criticism.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Nah the gulf stream has not stalled. Oil is not cement. The oil will travel up towards the northeastern waters of the atlantic and further, contaminating the water and poisoning the aquatic populations. Once the Gulf stream actually does stop, or loses strength due to the retraction of the ice cap, then yes, northern europe will see that the climate will mimic that of siberia.

i heard a hypothesis that the oil that traveled with the gulf stream actually has evaporated and is creating something similar so an oil screen at the molecular level, blocking out the Sun, which is why the winter is suddenly harsher than usual there.

Also i have heard that it could be a result of the melting of the ice cap itself, that the colder waters of the north are moving down south as they are released by the melting caps. think like if you had an ice cube in a bucket. at first the chill would be isolated to the proximity of the cube, but after it begins to melt, the cold water spreads, chilling more water around it. it wont be as cold as the water right next to the ice cube, but it will bring down the temp over a larger area over time nonetheless. this is occurring at a much larger scale in the north.
edit on 11-12-2010 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Why is this urgent and what do you mean by freeze? and how is the gulf stream dead,I am not watching the video ,You posted this urgent message ,you tell me

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

and i guess you don't know how the loop current in the gulf works or how the gulf stream works either.

and i guess you didn't know that our weather happens in cycles. some of those cycles last over 100's of years.

do some real research then come back and say the gulf stream is dead. because from where i'm at right now the gulf stream is sitting right on top of me getting ready to bring in a nasty weather system with a bunch of really cold air. but then again that always happens this time of year where i live. it gets down right cold here in the winter!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Ok, a couple of things

the last European ice age began around 1300, and ended around 1800, and was partly responsible for the dark ages!

The gulf stream can be interrupted by an influx of fresh water, or a higher fresh water to salt water ratio.

The gentleman in the video, relating the "failed" gulf stream to the BP spill is purely speculative, and in my opinion quite ludicrous as well.
What is ludicrous is whats going on with BP and the gulf of mexico proper.

I guess my point is, if it is happening, it is a natural occurrence

Be good

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

I guess not, so this isnt really important is it? Just another cycle and normal fluctuation.

Okay then...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

i'm just saying don't believe everything you see on youtube and do your own research. 99.9% of the crap you find on youtube is just that crap!

the loop current weakens over time and sometimes completely disappears for a few days then it slowly strengthens some cycles it just weakens then gets stronger. There are millions of factors that affect the loop current and the Gulf Stream. and that little bit of oil in the grand scheme of things that was leaked into the Gulf of Mexico isn't going to do a thing to the loop current or the gulf stream.

we're in more danger of an ice age from the melting polar ice stalling the currents than oil from the gulf.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I was suss just with the title of the vid..

"URGENT - Britain to Freeze Due to Death"

Well we all get cold once we're dead..So whats with that..

But on topic..Europe has been much colder in recent past than it is now.
The Thames river use to freeze every winter..

It's just a normal cycle and I'm sure our clothes and heaters will see us through.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
You know what the say in Britain about the weather? 'If you don't like it - just wait half an hour'.

One of the reasons we start our converstaions with a comment on the weather is because it IS constantly changeable. Please note the comment above re the last ice-age. I was taught in primary school (before all the global warming tosh) that we were still exiting that ice-age and could anticipate a warming climate. They dropped the term global warming - cos its NOT happening - and adopted the term 'climate change' to maintain a fear factor, charge extra taxes etc.

You llook pretty young - but the wimters in my childhood were pretty harsh. My son didn't see deep snow until he was 12 - and I live in Scotland. So we're going to have a cold winter - good! It'll help kill some of the blasted midges.

Undertake a bit more research before you terrorise yourself OP.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
The video doesn't seem very credible.

Even so I do personally believe that we are going to have a madly cold winter this year, and continue doing so until we reach an Ice age. We are well overdue one regardless of the gulf stream "disappearing".

Global warming is natural and eventually leads into an Ice age. Man made global warming isn't helping but it certainly isn't the cause.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

No this is not Gulfstream, this is something different but i guess that no one can give explanation. Gulfstream was slow for 1-2 months but this was 3 months ago. According to satellite data its speed for now is in good condition. But may be we need to see data for temperature of streams.
Everyone can see data at rads.tudelft.nl...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Here is the science behind the slowing of the Gulf stream.They are talking about an abrupt slowing or stopping of the gulf stream. This video was made before the BP oil disaster which of course is being speculatively blamed for the recent alleged halt of the gulf stream.

Britain: The New Alaska? - Horizon: The Big Chill - BBC

Could Britain be heading for a climate like Alaska? A group of scientists dare to think the unthinkable and examine whether the Gulf Stream 'conveyor', the vast current of water that keeps us warm, could be cut off. Watch more high quality videos on the BBC Worldwide YouTube channel here: www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Over dramatic... It is a cold winter but that is not unusual. Swarms of cold winters occur together..
The gulf stream does all soorts of weird and wonrerfull things...
kx

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

sorry but i think you should do some research as dr gianluigi zangari has been researching the gulf stream and how it works for years he works for the frascati laboratories in italy and is saying that because of the corexit used in the bp oil disaster to disperse the oil, the oil has now dissappeared downwards to wards the sea floor and has affected the gulf loop current which was stalling before the disaster and has now stalled/stopped completely just use a search engine to find articles on dr gianluigi zangari he knows what he is talking about.....

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Over dramatic... It is a cold winter but that is not unusual. Swarms of cold winters occur together..
The gulf stream does all soorts of weird and wonrerfull things...
kx

Yes, I'm in Australia and we have just been through 10 years of drought..
Now the last 2 months have been some of the wettest on record..
But some went back and checked records and there seems to be a 10 year cycle..
10 years is long enough for most to forget what it was like before..
Heck, I forget what I had for lunch..

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

i have to agree with you on the mad cold winter this year. and winters not being as bad as they were in the past.

this weekend it is suppose to get down in the single digits here where i live in the states. and i can't remember it ever getting this cold this early here in my lifetime.

My dad use to tell me stories from when he was a kid growing up here about how bad the winters use to get. a snowfall of several feet per storm was common when he was growing up. these days our worst snow fall is less than 2 feet once a winter if that. We get more ice storms these days than we get snow storms here.

whether we are still exiting the last ice age or not is open for debate. as is if we are close to another one.
99% of the people on this planet forget that we go through cycles some short some long but we go through them. evidence of this can be found in the ice core samples that have been taken from the Antarctic which show evidence of warmer than usual periods and colder than usual periods.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

rajaten, s&f GREAT THREAD. This is a very serious issue that many dont want to see because basically THE TRUTH HURTS. When the situation occured in the GoM, this was one of my major reasons of concern. See many spoke of the global warming issue as a joke or something not to be taken serious. But over time those who introduced the global warming agenda to the EA masses changed the name to climate change. This was a very important change that many sheeple minds took lightly and overlooked. It made complete sense to me when I began to understand more what was being told to those of us who were listening. The fact that the global warming weather would cause the ice in different locations to began to melt and then the cold ice water cooling off certain streams or currents causing a climate change that would potentially trigger a ice age.

When that GoM mess happened the thing I begin to think of amongst many other things was the effects this will have on certain currents or streams. So I was kind of hoping this was not going to take effect so fast but it seems it has. And my friend IT IS URGENT AND EXTREMELY IMPORTANT because it involves ALL of EA inhabitants. Even those who may feel there is some strange way to controll or get around this VIA $$$$$$$$ nope them too.. So I encourage you to keep up the good work reminding many that this is a sever issue if not adjusted in some way......
PEACE

edit on 12/11/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join