It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The quest for planet X continues

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer
a reply to: 5thHead

Given the assumptions of radius and albedo that we used for the reference population, we can update expected Planet Nine parameters. The remaining population has 15.9, 50.0, and 84.1 percentile values for mass of 6.3 Earth masses, semimajor axis of 460 au, perihelion of 340 au and aphelion of 560 au. The other parameters are generally unchanged. Not surprisingly, a survey ruling out more than half of the most bright parameter space pushes the expected orbit of P9 further away.

A Search for Planet Nine using the Zwicky Transient Facility Public Archive

Based on the most up to date data, if Planet Nine exists, the closest it comes is 340 au. That hardly matches up with Sitchin's claims about Nibiru.

Sitchin's claims? So, your back to saying it's sitchin fiction and not what the sumerians actually talk about in their tablets?

It's also hard to know the orbit of something that you've never observed. I mean if we knew it's orbit it wouldnt be a mystery.
edit on 5310909America/Chicagoam01 by 5thHead because: Sp

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 10:10 AM
link   

As I said previously: So you believe the scientists that believe there's a planet in the outer solar system but you don't actually believe any of the science that led them to that hypothesis?

And yes, it is Sitchin's claims. Ask any actual Assyriologist if the Sumerians wrote about aliens that came from the planet Nibiru and they'll laugh in your face.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 10:32 AM
link   

As I said previously: So you believe the scientists that believe there's a planet in the outer solar system but you don't actually believe any of the science that led them to that hypothesis?

And yes, it is Sitchin's claims. Ask any actual Assyriologist if the Sumerians wrote about aliens that came from the planet Nibiru and they'll laugh in your face.

en.m.wikipedia.org...(Babylonian_astronomy)

Quote from the link:

The Enûma Eliš states:
Nibiru is [Marduk's] star, which he made appear in the heavens... [130-131] The stars of heaven, let him [Nibiru] set their course; let him shepherd all the gods like sheep.[4]"

Well it looks like they did talk about people coming out of the sky (aliens as you degradingly call them)
And yep, they say nibiru is Marduk's star.(Planet)

These aren't sitchin's claims. They are what the sumerians claimed. Sitchin's biggest claim was that the stories the ancient cultures talk about might be more true than we give them credit for.

Just trying to assassinate someone's character is a gross tactic designed to derail the conversation. Truth is the sumerians did talk about people coming out of the sky. ...and nibiru.
edit on 5311010America/Chicagoam01 by 5thHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Sumerians are not Babylonians.
Sumerians are not Akkadians.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Sumerians are not Babylonians.
Sumerians are not Akkadians.

Who care? 😕

Lots of cultures talk about the same stuff. What's your point?

Planet X

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 12:50 PM
link   

The fact that you're conflating three different cultures that spanned thousands of years that all had different beliefs.

You tried to explain how the stars in Cylinder Seal VA243 are actually planets by referencing Babylonian astronomy and an Akkadian creation myth. This take is completely ignorant of the fact that Sumer did not have any kind of mathematical or scientific form of astronomy. They recognized the Sun and the Moon. All other celestial objects were stars to them.

And now you're bringing in a Neo-Assyrian stela that was created about 3000 years after Sumer ceased to exist.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5thHead
a reply to: chr0naut

If you look at the sky long enough you're going to figure out that some points of light in the sky move differently than others. Some of the planets are visible with the naked eye.

We know these people studied the stars, so how could we be sure they didn't figure out that some are not like the others and put them in a special category?

To say you know is just arrogance.

Yes, I'm arrogant. I also don't believe in much unhistorical BS.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 04:12 PM
link   

And now you're bringing in a Neo-Assyrian stela that was created about 3000 years after Sumer ceased to exist.

Yep.

People have talked about it for way more than a few thousand years. We're still talking about it today.

By your logic though this thread must be talking about something other than planet X because after all we are a different culture and in a different time.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

You don't have to believe in something to acknowledge the possibility of said thing.

That's how science works. You'll never learn anything if you don't open your mind to the possible.

So, do you think the powers that be changed the status of Pluto simply so the missing object would be planet 9 rather than 10 ? As in planet X? as in the cross? Or the planet of crossing? I wouldn't put it past 'em. Poor Pluto. You're still a planet in my book.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Nibiru /= Planet X /= Nemesis /= Tyche /= Hercolobus /= Planet Nine

All of these terms refer to different hypotheses. The only one that hasn't been shown to be false is Planet Nine which, once again, bears no similarities to Sitchin's debunked hypothesis of Nibiru.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 05:24 PM
link   

If Pluto was a planet, then Planet Nine still wouldn't be the tenth planet. At the very least Sedna would be considered a planet and Ceres and Eris would have strong claims as well.

Also, when did the IAU become the Powers That Be?

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Outside of the HUMAN habitable zone.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 07:40 PM
link   

No I'm not seriously saying that. Because it is beside the point. Rain "comes out of the sky" but I don't think that qualifies it as being extra-terrestrial.
But you did say that. You said it was a fiction made up by some man thousands of years later. If it's "beside the point" and you didn't even believe it then why did you make the argument? Why trash some old dead guy like that? That's not nice.

Here's the Wikipedia page on Zecharia Sitchin. I didn't write any of it. His ancient aliens stuff is just Sci-Fi. It doesn't fit with what we know from science or with history.

Also, your rain analogy is weak. Almost every ancient civilization (if not all of them) talked about people that came out of the sky and bossed them around. If you want to get lost in the clouds and water things down with comments about rain go ahead. Party on dude.

Partying on!

When ancient people refer to things that "came from the sky" it does not mean they came from space or from another planet.

Those are modern concepts from modern scientific knowledge.

The Sumerian culture did not seem to have any scientists, or the documented scientific method.

They had a base 60 number system, which is almost impossible to do mental arithmetic with and were an agrarian society.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 07:46 PM
link   

If you look at the sky long enough you're going to figure out that some points of light in the sky move differently than others. Some of the planets are visible with the naked eye.

We know these people studied the stars, so how could we be sure they didn't figure out that some are not like the others and put them in a special category?

In my thread I have covered the real hypothesis about where the ninth planet could be without of course the conspiracy nonsense.

It is hypothesised that the planet has a similar mass to the mass of Earth and is located anywhere between 250-500 AU from the Sun.

With 1AU to be the average distance between our planet and the Sun. It's too far away and too small to be detected especially when it has a very low albedo.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 07:48 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus

Outside of the HUMAN habitable zone.

The temperature is close to absolute zero, so cold thar chemistry can hardly happen.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 08:12 PM
link   

You don't have to believe in something to acknowledge the possibility of said thing.

That's how science works. You'll never learn anything if you don't open your mind to the possible.

Yes, but not so open that ones brain falls out.

So, do you think the powers that be changed the status of Pluto simply so the missing object would be planet 9 rather than 10 ? As in planet X? as in the cross? Or the planet of crossing? I wouldn't put it past 'em. Poor Pluto. You're still a planet in my book.

The designation of Pluto as a planetoid rather than a planet was because it is so small. When they mistakenly thought it was a planet, it was because of its albedo which made it appear brighter and therefore bigger in their estimation. Then they discovered that it is only about two-thirds the size of out moon.

Size matters in the misogynistic world of astronomy.

edit on 2024-03-01T20:12:45-06:0008Fri, 01 Mar 2024 20:12:45 -060003pm00000031 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Venkuish1

In my thread I have covered the real hypothesis about where the ninth planet could be without of course the conspiracy nonsense.

It is hypothesised that the planet has a similar mass to the mass of Earth and is located anywhere between 250-500 AU from the Sun.

With 1AU to be the average distance between our planet and the Sun. It's too far away and too small to be detected especially when it has a very low albedo.

It's a reasonable hypothesis, but it isn't really science until we find something.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 08:20 PM
link   

When ancient people refer to things that "came from the sky" it does not mean they came from space or from another planet.

Yes it does. That's exactly what it means. LOL.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Venkuish1

It's a reasonable hypothesis, but it isn't really science until we find something.

It isn't a fact you meant.
It's a scientific hypothesis for which there is a lot of research at the moment. Just as when looking for exoplanets. There are several universities and researchers involved in the hunt for the hypothetical planet but there is indirect evidence it might exist for the the peculiar orbits of dwarf planets and planetoids beyond Neptune.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join