It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa
reply to post by Char-Lee

Do I have to mention a service dog for a severely diabetic person? They can smell/taste the sugar levels in their owners, and can alert them of a drop in sugar before it becomes critical, or possibly more (i.e. perhaps be trained to alert the staff of something wrong?).

So, in this case, even though it may seem there is no outward disability, there is a life threatening disease that the service dog is trained to detect. And, the owner is dependent upon this service animal.

I certainly agree but it is the law that is passed that counts. We had a person nearly die in the restaurant from some kind of blood sugar problem scared me to death!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

Sad :-( Heh try watching Monk on TV a few times kind of give you an idea.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by Krakatoa

Do I have to mention a service dog for a severely diabetic person? They can smell/taste the sugar levels in their owners, and can alert them of a drop in sugar before it becomes critical, or possibly more (i.e. perhaps be trained to alert the staff of something wrong?).

So, in this case, even though it may seem there is no outward disability, there is a life threatening disease that the service dog is trained to detect. And, the owner is dependent upon this service animal.

I certainly agree but it is the law that is passed that counts. We had a person nearly die in the restaurant from some kind of blood sugar problem scared me to death!

We are in agreement. However, I mentioned it in an effort to educate those that are not aware of the breadth of service animal use these days.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Why do you think people shouldn't be allowed to choose, for themselves, who they want to interact with?

Does forced integration not take away rights just as much as forced segregation did/does?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Yes people are dropping like flies because of dog allergies. Most people who enter a restaurant have touched or peted a dog recently..betcha.

People who touch dogs do not constantly release dander into the air around them.

Dogs do.

if this was killing people I do doubt they would have passed a law allowing the dogs in.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

well he doesn't have to let him in.. but I don't think people take too kind to the mistreatment of disabled people especially vets.

I think word of mouth will destroy it since quite a few of his patrons probably have disabled family members or service men/women.

allyou have to do is sit back and watch him burn
edit on 28-8-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

well he doesn't have to let him in.. but I don't think people take too kind to the mistreatment of disabled people especially vets.

I think word of mouth will destroy it since quite a few of his patrons probably have disabled family members or service men/women.

allyou have to do is sit back and watch him burn
edit on 28-8-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

On the contrary, he DOES have to let him in according to Federal ADA laws. He cannot turn him away based upon his service dog. However, he can turn him away if he is in any other way disruptive or will affect his business in a negative manner. But not because of his disability or related service animal.

Like it or not, that is the LAW.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Here's a hypothetical question for you all:

What if the restaurant owner suffers an anxiety disorder/ptsd that was caused by a dog? He obviously has some mental issue with dogs, so it's not out of the question, right?

Well if true, then what? Should the store owner be forced to work in a stressful environment? Who gets to choose? You help the serviceman by giving him a dog, why not help the store owner by removing dogs from his presence?

-just food for thought.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
Here's a hypothetical question for you all:

What if the restaurant owner suffers an anxiety disorder/ptsd that was caused by a dog? He obviously has some mental issue with dogs, so it's not out of the question, right?

Well if true, then what? Should the store owner be forced to work in a stressful environment? Who gets to choose? You help the serviceman by giving him a dog, why not help the store owner by removing dogs from his presence?

-just food for thought.

All hypothetical, and would end up being decided in court. That's how it supposed to work in cases of conflict such as your hypothetical. But this is not a hypothetical situation, so your point is moot in this context and topic.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

As far as I remember, there is no requirement to produce paperwork on a service animal. All that is required is that a person has a covered disability, in which the animal helps them. This guy needs to get an attorney quick.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I used to date a really hot broad at UCLA. I drove damn near SF once to pick her up for what was supposed to be a road trip back home. I left her äss up there when she told me she was not getting in my car unless I allowed the dog her sister gave her in the car too. The thing was slobbering and pissed itself twice. Needless to say, she got rid of the dog when it kept crapping in her really nice apartment. I honestly think that unless you are blind, dogs are an unnecessary burden & annoyance. I don't even blink when I hear stories about dogs getting run over or killed in dogfights. I think people that do have mental problems.

Anyway, I served twice in Iraq and I think only weak minded pansies look for handouts or ask for help dealing with it. Weak. I don't believe in PTSD. If we let them, mental health professionals *cough cough*....would make up excuses and illnesses for every gripe or anxiety out there. People need to grow a pair and deal with things like adults.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

So your answer is: Said hypothetical isn't true, but if it were, then the court gets to choose?

Do you not want to think about it? Why?

It's clearly not out of the realm of possibilities. The owner showed hostility for the dog, thus he was obviously distressed by it.

Do you think the store owner's distress is of less importance than the serviceman's? If so, why?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

So your answer is: Said hypothetical isn't true, but if it were, then the court gets to choose?

Do you not want to think about it? Why?

It's clearly not out of the realm of possibilities. The owner showed hostility for the dog, thus he was obviously distressed by it.

Do you think the store owner's distress is of less importance than the serviceman's? If so, why?

I don't disagree, its just off-topic IMO.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Fair enough.

I thought the topic was about the morality of the store owner's actions - not the lawfulness of them.

Obviously it was unlawful so .... /thread

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Are people allergic to humans' dander? Will any of these human activities affect another human being negatively to the point where they need to go to the hospital?

Honestly, you people have the weakest arguements I've seen on this site in a long time.
edit on 28-8-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

Um...lets see.....e. coli, hepatitis, dysentery, ect...... yeah, all these products of humans will get you sent to the hospital. Things that get passed on from unwashed hands or improperly washed hands

I would say your argument is weaker. The number of people who are allergic to animals to the point of requiring hospitalization are small, and brief exposure in a restaurant is pretty light. Compare to the number of people who have fatal food allergies to things like nuts or eggs.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Boycott is what people used to do before they used the government to enforce their opinions.

I support a voluntary boycott of this restaurant but all this restaurant owner did was RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE at his property/company/establishment. No law should tell a business/property owner what to do to make his customers feel good or comfortable, that should be up to the business/property owner to know how to do to attract more customers resulting in more revenue.

edit on 28-8-2013 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Very true. I joined the army straight out of school for many reasons, but killing people or getting oil, lithium, and college money weren't on the list. I had no desire to get pregnant and collect welfare. One of the reasons I joined was because I felt I could fulfill a greater purpose beyond myself.

I really shudder at people's responses to people with mental or emotional disabilities, whether they are veterans or not. The ignorance of just how crippling mental disorders are is astounding. I seriously hope these people do not find themselves in a similar situation. People think just because you have two arms, legs, and can see and walk, that you should be able to function. The mind is the control panel to the human machine. Anyone who knows anything about machines knows a fried or severely malfunctioning control panel pretty much kills any useful function the machine can perform, at least not without serious intervention.

It's no wonder people snap so much. With such attitudes towards mental illness, and with mental illness a very large problem in society, I understand why there are so many problems.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I would polietly ask him to leave his dog outside. Animals have NO place in easting establishments.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by samuel1990
I would polietly ask him to leave his dog outside. Animals have NO place in easting establishments.

You are aware this was a certified service dog and not a pet, right? As such, it is against the law to deny his service animal access.
edit on 28-8-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Skadi, unfortunately everyone had a mental illness. It is being overused as an excuse to get pills, disability checks, and now a pass to walk a dog legally into an establishment. Hey, I don't care if a dog is in a restaurant or not, but like I said, I see this service dog cert. being abused a lot. Some old rich hag gets panicky because she left her little Tootsie at home all alone and buys a vest and downloads an online card to put in her Gucci wallet.

All I am saying is it is abused and owners/servers HATE these people. It has become common practice for people to play on the service dog by saying they have emotional problems. Almost always women. Everyone has an emotional handicap in one form or another. Maybe I can get a service dog identification because I have an immense fear of children with red hair. My dog will save me from them.
edit on 28-8-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join