It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
While I respect a fellow veteran, I think he's milking the story for attention...which I hate passionately. What an attention w---re.

First, its unsanitary to bring mutts into a restaurant. Doesn't matter who/what the scenario is. I would not want to eat in a restaurant where dogs are allowed. That's sick. Second, as I already said...so long as the owners/management politely ask someone not to bring their dog into an eatery, the patron should just shut it and comply. They are not at home.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
The funny thing is even with all of that the dogs mouth has fewer germs then a humans. They are under the table on the floor that everyone walks on with really filthy feet not on the table or chairs.

False myth.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
reply to post by InhaleExhale

Yes, i've thought about that, which is why I don't rub my head on the seat. Fleas jump a lot farther than lice and also carry far worse diseases. And yes people do shed their hair but not at the rate which dogs do. What if it gets excited and pees on the floor next to you I dont know humans who do that do you? What if someone is allergic? What then? Who sues who? You do realize that many people are allergic right? and many expect to be able to go out to eat without having to choke down dog hair?

If I wanted to sit down with dogs and eat i'd stay at home and eat on the floor with my dogs. I don't want dogs in a restaurant where I am eating and would gladly tell the owner of the dog so. Besides this was not a seeing eye dog this was a dog for someone with anxiety. He should just stay home then if he is so frightened by the world.

Im tired of this ptsd crap anyways. Who the hell hasn't had some trauma in their lives at this point?

edit on 28-8-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

This is a TRAINED dog...

Fleas jump a lot farther than lice and also carry far worse diseases.

I don't know where you live but fleas live on the ground they can get on you as well as a dog outside, where they are living, in your yard.

And yes people do shed their hair but not at the rate which dogs do.

One dog verses hundreds of people a day?

What if someone is allergic?

Do you were a scent? I am then alergic to YOU.

and many expect to be able to go out to eat without having to choke down dog hair?

For this to happen you would have to lick the poor pup! Ask for a seat on the other side of the room.

He should just stay home then if he is so frightened by the world.

That is just sad a person could so lack compassion.

Who the hell hasn't had some trauma in their lives at this point?

I think you are either very young or very unaware of what a soldier sees and experiences it is not the average " trauma ".

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

If I was this veteran I would stay the hell out of that place. If you think finding pubes on your meal is bad imagine what this restaurant could do to get some revenge.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by brandiwine14

You know; it is the pathetic attitude that people like you hold that caused one of my best friends to stick a pistol in his mouth and blow his brains out just weeks ago. If you have never been subjected to the horrors of war then how do you know what it is like. Some people, mostly sociopaths may come back from war ok but most come back with disturbing memories that lead to social problems. And people with your attitude only worsen the problem. And from personal experience nobody is mentally prepared for what happens in war. You can prepare your mind all you want but you can not help how it affects you when you return home. So don't tell me it is because they are not mentally tough when they go off to war because you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Yes and many of these people are very young, they join up because they leave school have no job and no one wants to pay their way or send them to college. What can they do, if you are female get pregnant and have a baby you get welfare, the guys can't get any money. They serve in the hopes of getting somewhere, most are from poor families.
My brother was drafted in Vietnam, he was in college age 18 and a great student and they took him anyway...he was not the same when he came home, he said their was bodies in the road and they had to just keep driving over them. he could not say much but he killed himself at 42.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by Hollie

An online certificate does not make a dog a service dog. Only those who have been trained by accredited organizations will get licensed as service dogs. I am in the process of getting one of my dogs into a program to be trained to not only be my therapy dog but to also be a certified therapy dog that I can take to hospitals to visit other veterans and sick children. Anyone who enters a business with a service dog must show valid licensing when asked by the owner of the establishment. I just don't understand why so many people have problems with service dogs.

We know this. It does not prevent the crazies from coming in with their online cert. or vested dog. Like I said, it is those types that have ruined it for the legits. As well, almost all of those are older female entitlement junkies that try to find ways to get around the rules. There are way more of the phonies than there are legits. I promise. I see it almost daily.
edit on 28-8-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

My husband and his father each own a restaurant very busy places in the tourist season..we have had ONE dog EVER in 15 years!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicalRazor
First, its unsanitary to bring mutts into a restaurant.

BS. Dogs are not unsanitary.

Doesn't matter who/what the scenario is. I would not want to eat in a restaurant where dogs are allowed.

As it stands service dogs are allowed in all restaurants so feel free to stay at home then.

That's sick.

Second, as I already said...so long as the owners/management politely ask someone not to bring their dog into an eatery, the patron should just shut it and comply.

They can politely go and shove their requests to unsanitary places. Law is a law and the restaurant owners feelings do not matter.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

If this had been a Down's Syndrome person I doubt this would have stirred so many people's emotions -- and that saddens me.

Actually I think it would have stirred much more emotion!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the fact that people have allergies to dogs and this ADA law is kind of not very bright for specifically including restaurants. I'm not sure that it's fair if other customers need to leave to accomodate someone who has a service dog when realistically I'm not so sure a service dog is going to help someone eat their food or speak to the server. Why can't the dog just be tied up outside?

Don't get me wrong, this restaurant owner is a crazy buffoon, but it's the law that I think is a little silly unless someone can explain to me why someone would need a service dog to help them in a restaurant.

I'm not so sure a service dog is going to help someone eat their food or speak to the server.

you could be very wrong there. The dog may be a source of courage to do normal things they could not do without the dog.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the fact that people have allergies to dogs

Someone did, i see it as irrelevant. I am severely allergic to perfumes and everyone it seems douses themselves. if I am seated next to a particularly odours person I ask politely if i could be moved.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
reply to post by Char-Lee

Not to mention humans scratch their butts, scratch their balls, pick their noses, fondle their gonads, wipe themselves, and rarely wash properly afterwards. On top of spitting and doing disgusting things to food for revenge or amusement.

Are people allergic to humans' dander? Will any of these human activities affect another human being negatively to the point where they need to go to the hospital?

Honestly, you people have the weakest arguements I've seen on this site in a long time.
edit on 28-8-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

Yes people are dropping like flies because of dog allergies. Most people who enter a restaurant have touched or peted a dog recently..betcha.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LogicalRazor

would not want to eat in a restaurant where dogs are allowed.

That is all restaurants and what the thread is about.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I'm not so sure a service dog is going to help someone eat their food or speak to the server.

you could be very wrong there. The dog may be a source of courage to do normal things they could not do without the dog.

I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous. "I can't speak to people or eat food unless my dog is here"...? That's what you're saying?

If that's the case, I don't think he's going to last very long here in reality. I take it, of course, that when the dog dies the man will obviously cease to function entirely since every aspect of his functionality is dependent on the dog's presence?

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the fact that people have allergies to dogs

Someone did, i see it as irrelevant. I am severely allergic to perfumes and everyone it seems douses themselves. if I am seated next to a particularly odours person I ask politely if i could be moved.

So say that a restaurant you frequented had a sign on it that said "No perfumes or body sprays", so you went there all of the time. Now say someone walked in with a harsh cologne or perfume and the law said that they cannot be denied service because the perfume gives them confidence. You would ask to be moved?

What if it was still bothering you?

What if you worked there? Would you have to claim "unsafe working conditions"?

Would your employer have to pay you to sit in the back until they were gone?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Yes people are dropping like flies because of dog allergies. Most people who enter a restaurant have touched or peted a dog recently..betcha.

People who touch dogs do not constantly release dander into the air around them.

Dogs do.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicalRazor

The funny thing is even with all of that the dogs mouth has fewer germs then a humans. They are under the table on the floor that everyone walks on with really filthy feet not on the table or chairs.

False myth.

May be but that is what my Dr told me, that i should not worry about the dog licking the kids, the dogs mouth was cleaner then theirs.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

"I can't speak to people or eat food unless my dog is here"...? That's what you're saying?

Yes that is what i am saying...I have a degree in mental health, but i am very sure most people are aware of this.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

So say that a restaurant you frequented had a sign on it that said "No perfumes or body sprays", so you went there all of the time. Now say someone walked in with a harsh cologne or perfume and the law said that they cannot be denied service because the perfume gives them confidence. You would ask to be moved?

Yes I would ask to be moved, I doubt anyone could pollute the whole place.

I am allergic very severely to cigarettes and they used to allow smoking so i know how to handle what is MY problem.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Do I have to mention a service dog for a severely diabetic person? They can smell/taste the sugar levels in their owners, and can alert them of a drop in sugar before it becomes critical, or possibly more (i.e. perhaps be trained to alert the staff of something wrong?).

So, in this case, even though it may seem there is no outward disability, there is a life threatening disease that the service dog is trained to detect. And, the owner is dependent upon this service animal.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I owned my own place and will again shortly.

I have never set a double standard when it comes to dogs. If a trained dog with a certificate can enter my place, then an educated dog without one can as well.

If its small and wont pee or poop....cool. If it wont bark and explore ...cool..

If not then I say no and ask for proof if its not obvious as to why...with respect. I never had to ask.

People are making a big deal out of nothing. No one could ever even tell when a little quiet dog was under someone's table. My customers loved my place for it. I made good tills by NOT being an anal retentive jerk.

I will keep the same policy. Happy customers are happy people after all...and that is your sole purpose in the restaurant business ...you sell food and give away happiness and good times.

This owner literally crossed into the dark side by purposely making someone have a bad day.

I hope its true that the owner apologized and realized how and why he was a jerk.

also I hope he gets his head back in the game and conducts himself in a manner fitting of the profession.

edit on 28-8-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

"I can't speak to people or eat food unless my dog is here"...? That's what you're saying?

Yes that is what i am saying...I have a degree in mental health, but i am very sure most people are aware of this.

Oh so it's like The Golden Compass? His soul is attached to the dog by dust through another universe and if the dog is away from his presence for any amount of time he will surely cease to function.

Is this what they taught you in your mental health courses? They could've just saved the lecture and played the movie.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join