It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roddenberry, Trek, and "The Nine"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2024 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

May this Thread live long and prosper.............*)

posted on Jun, 5 2024 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: burritocat

But threads like this were at one time very common on here from what Ive been told. Its a shame we dont have anything matching this quality recently.

Reading through this thread as well, I noticed how thoughtful and valuable most replies were. It's like night and day! ATS lost the Twitter Wars I guess. It is a shame because this used to be THE conspiracy site. It was unique and special for what it was. Now it's just an inferior forum to all its competitors.

edit on 5-6-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2024 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

May this Thread live long and prosper.............*)

Challenge accepted!

Thinking back to the TOS days I realized there were a handful of episodes that dealt with AI controlling societies and entire planets from behind the scenes. What a revolutionary thought for the time.

Only took a couple of decades but here we are...

edit on 5-6-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2024 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AlroyFarms

Thinking back to the TOS days I realized there were a handful of episodes that dealt with AI controlling societies and entire planets from behind the scenes. What a revolutionary thought for the time.

the one that sticks in my mind was the one about interplanetary war. where attacks were simulated, and people lined up to go into the disintegrators. that is until kirk and spock put a stop to that sh@@.

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

"A Taste of Armageddon"

That episode gave me chills the first time I saw it

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 06:52 AM
link   

The Changeling S2 E3 was the one where the probe and alien probe repair themselves into one. the new one's mission was was going round wiping out biological infestations, and thinks kirk is it's creator, then gets the red ass when it finds out he's not and decides to go to earth and wipe out all the biological infestations is it's net mission.

you'd think going back people would have seen all the warning about AI and wouldn't be so arrogant about thinking they can build and control it.

dumb ass bastards.

the movie Star Trek: The Motion Picture was just a play off this one. V'ger was one of the Voyager probes that got repaired by AI LIving machnes and programed to learn all there is to learn, in doing so it becomes sentient then gets depressed and find meaningless is the answer and starts killing all life it encounters. but in this one the creator is mankind
and it wants mankind to to come on board so it can finish it's mission and download all it has learned.

edit on 6-6-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Roddenberry was a giant amongst mere men.

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Was that the one they visit a planet at simulated nuclear war so they retain their infrastructure.

And if your number comes up you have to report and be exterminated?

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Was that the one they visit a planet at simulated nuclear war so they retain their infrastructure. And if your number comes up you have to report and be exterminated?

yeah that's it, i just didn't look up the the season, episode name and number. just popped it off the top of my head.

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Was that the one they visit a planet at simulated nuclear war so they retain their infrastructure.

And if your number comes up you have to report and be exterminated?

Yes, sir!

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 08:01 AM
link   

"I am the Guardian of Forever " was another great episode from the original series.

"Mirror, Mirror" was another.

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I got one for ya where the society doesn't know they're guided by AI.

"Return of the Archons"

In the episode, the crew of the Enterprise visit a seemingly peaceful planet whose inhabitants are "of the Body", controlled by an unseen ruler, and enjoy a night of violence during "Festival".

The episode contains Star Trek's first reference to the Prime Directive.

Kirk and Spock use their phasers to blast through the wall and expose a computer programmed by Landru, who died 6,000 years ago.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 6-6-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 08:10 AM
link   

How about "The Squire of Gothos"?

I thought "Trelane" was a great character..

And if you read the subsequent books it turns out he was "Q".

Think the books called "Q Squared".

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Oh yeah all fantastic episodes, the ones that really stick out in memory for sure. "Squire of Gothos" is easily a #1 pick for best episode. And of course Trelane is Q everyone knows that

How about this one? Found another where AI is at the helm

"The Ultimate Computer"

Captain Kirk is sceptical when he learns that the USS Enterprise is to be piloted by a machine. The computer is to take control of the ship during the Star Fleet war games, but catastrophe strikes and Kirk must battle with technology to regain power.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 6-6-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Class in a glass.

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 08:58 AM
link   

are you sure that was the name of the episode? I thought it was the The City on the Edge of Forever S1.E28 but they may have changed the name in the UK don't know for sure. that is the one Joan Collins was the guest star in, that changes history if McCoy saves her. a play on Guardian also was in STD, which at first i tried to watch, but it got to woke, Strange New World was / is more bearable but is still a little to woke for my taste. any way it's season 3 episodes 9 and 10 and the Guardian has tramsformed into a being named carl.

if i'm not mistaken they also did a play on the two animated series of the Guardian of Forever. didn't even watch those they were to cheesy.

ETA: Mirror Mirror was a good one, they also did a play on that one on StarTrek Enterprise which was a two parter, that i thought was much better. and if i recall they did one on Discovery or it was a recurring theme

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Archons was a good one, i also like the ones where they went to the planet that copied the 1930's gangsters.

A Piece of the Action S2.E17

and the one where the Star Fleet observer goes to a planet and sets them up like the nazi's.

Patterns of Force, S2.E21

two more and i'l just give hints,
in one there a line, bonk bonk on the head
and khom's and yangs are what the inhabitants are called is other

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Not sure no.

The last time i watched Classic Star Trek would be a while ago now.

I did however just finish watching Star Trek Discovery Season 5.

Which had some Mirror Universe backstory.

Quite liked it, have to say.

edit on 6-6-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 10:53 AM
link   

we have a channel ( H & I) here that runs all the old Star Trek episodes from TOS, TNG, DS9, STV. and STE 6 nights a week n order. most nights i have it on for back ground noise while i surf the web cuase thereain't nothing else on worth a damn now days unless you stream. and to get good shows, there are to many networks / streaming services to that you have to pay for you can go broke trying to see them.

i watched all the STD, STNW, and Picard seasons streaming on Paramount a few times, and they were all good except for all the woke melodrama in them. you can tell a story about space and not go into all inclusiveness of the crews life for half or better of it. out of the last three Picard was the least woke of them.

posted on Jun, 6 2024 @ 10:57 AM
link   

StarTrek TNG went in a few awful directions at times imho.

And yeah the woke nonsense could get tiresome.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join