It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb As A Rock: You Will Be Absolutely Amazed At The Things That U.S. High School Students Do Not Kn

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Four words for you........................home or private schooling.

My son got his GED through Phoenix (now for GED they are called something else, same company).

Quite expensive, but worth every penny.

None of this bullying, head games, hormonal frenzy - but than again my youngest is autistic and so this was the very best thing for him.

He is high functioning and very intelligent. Socially he is quiet, shy but at my oldest son's wedding, they called upon him to give the first toast and I am still proud at how nice of a toast in front of everyone he gave.

I also have a girlfriend that did not want her children to mingle with kids that had loose morals
So she kept hers at home and home schooled them. One went onto Cambridge and the other I can't remember but both boys, now young men are professionals and married nice girls they met at their church.

Gosh, now they have kids..............I'm getting old.

Her kids did socialize, with my kids and the local baseball, soccer teams and their church so both young men are quite charming to have at Christmas Parties, polite, educated, interesting to talk to.

My friend did a good job. They had less money, not as fancy as a house or car but their two boys ended up very decent men.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yes, my son marched to the beat of a different drummer, he always says the only thing useful he learned in school was typing. But yes, he was always strong willed, and they couldn't break him.

Einstein and Mozart's mothers probably could have said the same thing.

The other post about 1984 "newspeak" I also starred..............chillingly accurate.

A lot of good replies on this subject.
edit on 7-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

What? You don't see the irony?

People complaining about the educational system when they are a product of that same educational system?

In other words, they're just as dumb as the high school kids they like to mock.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I know a girl who graduated last year. She is dumber than a box of rocks. When she writes it is nearly indecipherable. My 6 year old niece can write better. She's sweet, but utterly stupid. She's not the only one. I know another who "graduated" with a certificate of completion and she is no better than the first. The first girl "CL" has a boyfriend who is a genius compared to CL, but he's still about as smart as I was in the first grade.

The sheer stupidity of the current generation terrifies me to no end. We will be done for if they ever get in power.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Private schools aren't that great. I went to one and the education was nowhere near as good as the education I received at a public school.

Ditto for homeschooling. I think homeschooling is for hippies or religious people.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Reply to post by joyride0187

Just because they don't the exact date doesn't make them stupid. We live in a much different world where memorization isn't needed. Now if they need this fact everyday and still can't remember or don't know how to use google to find it, then I would be concerned. A bigger question is, can they solve problems?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

In other words, they're just as dumb as the high school kids they like to mock.

Not sure who you are talking about when you say "they". If you mean high school drop outs, well, they are not products of our school system, they are people who rejected our school system.

Did you read my earlier posts on the subject? I was hoping for some comments on the essay I found on the issue. This is not the same old stuff that is oft repeated.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7-2-2012 by poet1b because: typo

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I have friends who home school who are niether Hippies or Religous
Thier kids are doing just fine.
I have helped home school also (Art)
What do you have against home schooling?
ps What do you have against hippies or religous folk?

edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: TYPOS - PRODUCT OF A STATE EDUCATION

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

Yeah I joined ATS when I was 14. I don't know I was always interested in politics and history. Then I think I got here from searching chemtrails on google.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Boredom?

I'm just saying that you shouldn't be so quick to write off ALL public schools.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by artistpoet

Boredom?

I'm just saying that you shouldn't be so quick to write off ALL public schools.

Boredom

God I dont know why I use those stupid smiley things - It is not like I am a teenager
Yes point taken
< must stop doing that

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

reply to post by poet1b

Did you go to college?

It's advice, not advise.

Dude the last thread you created was called "Increase in Trolls/Trolling" in which you whine and complain because you think there is a increase in trolling. Yet you are one of the biggest trolls on ATS! Stop trying to get a rise out of people because you are bored and then create a thread about there being too many trolls on ATS. You have no problem trolling anyone who disagrees with you but can't take it. Your blatant disrespect for other people's views is obnoxious!
edit on 7-2-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by Tw0Sides

In eighth grade we were given a blank map of the USA with the state borders but again blank. We were graded on how many we could fill in with the correct state and Hawaii and Alaska were included. I got 95% (Alaska & Hawaii were easy).

Still disappointed, I studied so hard I should have gotten all of them.

My kid just had to that same thing in his FIFTH GRADE public school class. They also had to write in the capital and the postal abbreviation. He misseed 2 capitals and 2 abbreviations. He said all the kids did pretty well.

Those of you knocking the education system don't know what you are talking about. Dumb parents breed dumb kids. It's not the schools fault. There is more opportunity to learn than we could have concieved 30 years ago. The kids just need to want it. The kids won't want it, if the parents don't.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

reply to post by ofhumandescent

Private schools aren't that great. I went to one and the education was nowhere near as good as the education I received at a public school.

Ditto for homeschooling. I think homeschooling is for hippies or religious people.

My friends son was home schooled.

He's just got his PhD in pure mathematics.

I think home schooling can be pretty good in some cases.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

Because people don't know a when a certain era took place, that makes them stupid? LMAO ok.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

im a senior in high school and im pretty sure more than 60% of my class could answer these questions correctly. i do think though that schools are not challenging their students more. my school is a nationally recognized school for our test scores and acheivments and we are straight up slackers. we get by doing the bare minimum. blame the generation teaching us..

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
As a 19 year old, I can vouch for this study. Most people my age are clueless to the world outside their facebook pages.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join