It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb As A Rock: You Will Be Absolutely Amazed At The Things That U.S. High School Students Do Not Kn

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo
reply to post by joyride0187

I went to school in a small town in southern PA. My entire town had less than 5,000 people in it.

We had no city aid for our school. We held carnivals, festivals, parents donated, and once a year we even bought a junker car and people paid $5 for 2 minutes with a sledgehammer beating the hell out of it.

And yet we could still afford labs, auto shop, wood shop, seamstress class, home ec, 4 sports teams... and that was just in the 7th grade.

I still wonder what the hell happened...

one of the main things that happened is chronic family breakdown, as a stable two parent family is MUCH more likely to produce "success" in all areas, including education, than a one parent family- kudos to those one parent families who produce well educated kids, but no point in pretending that it isn't easier to raise a kid with two..................

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What they do is memorize it for the test, and then they forget it because they've been told that passing the test is what really matters.

I don't think it's what they're teaching the kids; it's how they're teaching them and what they're telling them is the purpose of this learning.

Back when my parents were kids, you had to have Algebra and another random math. These days, you've got to have Algebra I & II and Geometry. My parents had to have just a couple of social studies credits; my brother had to have 4 or 5.

I think my point is that they're cramming so much crap into these kids' heads that I wouldn't be able to remember much of it, either, especially when all they're doing is teaching to the tests rather than actually educating.

link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

So you joined ATS when you were 14?

May I ask which topic brought you to these parts?

I've been browsing here for 5 years now, just because I searched for a picture of a cartoon alien for an animation class...

link   

Originally posted by randomname

Originally posted by joyride0187
The DOE has been a total failure since its inception.

edit on 7-2-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

future leaders don't go public school 15, they get expensive private educations, taught by the best money can buy and indoctrinated into the new world order.

Then why are most of them so dumb?

They're sheeple with money. That's the way I see them because that's how they present themselves.

And if you're insinuating that they're smart because they can lead people, you're giving them too much credit. You know what it takes to lead people? The right attitude. All you have to do in most cases is ACT ike you're in charge and the majority of the people you do that to will follow you.

Better thank God that I'm a nice guy becasue I could do a lot of damage if I wanted to.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I believe this is by designed plan of whoever is really running the show.

Read: the deliberate dumbing down of america - by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt. (Really good book).

Now couple that with many people that have higher IQ's are having fewer children and those that have lower IQ's are producing more children and you will end up with genetically a dumber generation each generation.

Description of video:

The Dumbing Down of America
www.youtube.com.../u/0/WCxBDDk4Y-M
If you ever doubted the decline of the American empire, a new report shows that the number of Americans obtaining college degrees is declining. Bottom line: Americans aged 25-34 have less education than their parent's generation.

Americans have always aspired to give their children a better life, but we seem to be backsliding. A few weeks ago I posted about how Americans' household net worth went down for the first time in history. But not only are we worse off economically, our children are not receiving as much education as we did.

Even worse, America is declining compared to the rest of the world. The US ranks second among countries of the world in the percentage of people aged 35-64 with a college degree. But among people aged 24-35 — the new generation in their most productive years — we rank tenth. Indeed, we are one of only two countries where the number of people receiving college degrees is declining. And for degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, the situation is even worse.

If you are seriously interested in this subject the video below is over 1 hour long - but this is a monumental video.

Description of video and really please if you are a parent and care for your kids see this video.

*** WARNING - While the video is not graphic Ms. Iserbyt does describe some very horrible historical stuff.

Charlotte Thompson Iserbyt served as the head of policy at the Department of Education during the first administration of Ronald Reagan. While working there she discovered a long term strategic plan by the tax exempt foundations to transform America from a nation of rugged individualists and problem solvers to a country of servile, brainwashed minions who simply regurgitate whatever they're told.

Part one of our exclusive interview with Iserbyt breaks down how conditioning/training under a corporate agenda has replaced traditional education, leading to a deliberate dumbing down of Americans. Iserbyt further explains how Reagan signed agreements merging the U.S. and Soviet systems under the United Nations banner, turning over education and many other areas of public policy to global control.

This 74 minute exposé is a must see for anyone who wants to truly know why the education system is deliberately crafted to produce human drones with no critical thinking whose only skills are to be subservient, trust authority and follow orders.

I leave you with just one quote:

I don’t want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers.- John D. Rockefeller

Now I wonder, I am 59 and read - do not watch TV and only play like word games.

I would wager most young people don't read or buy books.

Any youngsters out there (under 30) care to prove me wrong?

I own about 360 books (hard cover) and 1,400 e-books.

Again, the second video is chilling.

When my youngest son dropped out of high school I was heart broken but he went out and took his money and got his GED via the internet and I looked over the material and it was way better (and I mean WAY BETTER) than the books and lesson at our local high school. (And our high school is rated one of the highest in our state). Note: My youngest son is high functioning, very intelligent but autistic. He said he was put into a special ed class with retarded and mentally "crazy" kids.

My grand daughter currently goes to a private school and she is turning out very well, she has a passion for books (already up to about 60). I have caption for the hearing impaired and my grand daughter in second grade could read out loud the caption with no trouble. She loves to read because, "I want a library when I grow up like you have Grandma."

Lastly I was blessed with some really good teachers in high school.

So so professors in college, but I could only afford a community college.

Now, in my husband's family, they are all very well educated, one from Duke, one from Sorbonne.

The other three from very good universities located in the US.

Now, the five young nieces and nephew we have are in the 30's and just now getting married, (the three that are now married are marrying well ie: very educated, nice, intelligent, professional men) none are having children yet...............they are smart and planning out their life.

Yes they will be successful, have nice homes, smart kids and God willing, a happy and long life.

Schools vary according to location. The richer you are the nicer the area you can afford, the better the school (normally).

Again, I do think this is a most interesting subject because I do believe the puppet master's don't want the natives getting too smart...............too smart = harder to handle.

edit on 7-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
What they do is collect hundreds if not thousands of answerst to their question and sort out the most stupidest ones, then present them in an article that is written as if all people are that stupid.
Have you ever heard the name Uwe Boll? Known as one of, if not the worst movie director of all time? He did the same with his god-awful 'documentary' Auschwitz. He went to a german School, asked hundreds of kids, recorded their answers about the holocaust and only presented the most stupid ones in the beginning (It's obvious because they show only 3-4 kids giving stupid answers). If you watch that, you might think "man, german kids are stupid". At the end of his awful 'documentary' he went to a higher educational school and asked again some students, they seemed to be a bit more intelligent but again, it's only 5 kids over and over again.

I don't know how and why people think, that 5-6 people repesent millions of other people. If that was the case, i could say after reading through ATS: "OH...so all Americans believe that every star is a UFO" "OH all americans love Ron Paul" and "Oh....all americans believe in 2012" which would be clearly wrong.

I doubt that his generation is more 'stupid' than the previous ones. Difference is that until 10-15 years ago, nobody gave a # about such 'news' and stupid people lived...without 20 cameras and 10 'news'reporters in their faces. If anything i think today there's a wider gap between the more educated, intelligent kids (those who do research over the internet, learn, want to read more) and those lazy mostly rap music hearing idiots who aren't interested in anything, for the US, those kids who will end up at Wendy's or McDonald's and never get out of that slump.

To say "I'm happy i'm from another Generation" or "Yeah, they're all stupid" would be completely ignorant and stupid.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
My kids got their education in public high school. In history, they had to do research using the Federalist Papers to support positions.

They finished 2 years of Calculus and my younger one had enough college credits to finish her BS in only three years.

The education system is there for those that want to benefit from it. For those students who are more concerned with the next post on Facebook , or what the latest fashion trend is, then all they need to learn is "Would you like fries with that?"

It's always been this way. The top 10-20 percent thrive in school, the rest shouldn't waste their time trying to go to college.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This is what happens when you teach people that they "deserve" things just for existing. That nobody wins or loses - they all get a participation trophy. There's no need to learn to be better and have self worth and to be of value to society, everyone gets a diploma if you just show up. Why learn anything when the government will just give you money that other people earn.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Wow that is sad, I'm Australian but I know almost all of those things you wrote down (except for the US constitution questions).

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

In a recent thread here on ATS about the nature of space-time, the majority of posters stated that time was illusory, gravity is a type of magnetism and any talk about spatial multi-dimensionality seemed to be construed as a mental exercise about the spiritual realm.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
I thank God I was born into my generation. In the 3rd grade we were taught proper use of the telephone, how a grocery store works and they provided a cash register so we could learn how to make change. We were taught Real American History & Science and on and on . The DOE has been a total failure since its inception.

edit on 7-2-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

I'm only 26 but in 5th grade..1995 we had to learn how to balance a check book.. We all had a check book and were given 200 fake dollars....Then every day I teacher would give us a series of random occurances for purchases and spending and we would have to balance the book before we could move on.

Every single 5th grade in my class could balance a check book perfectly./ or close to it....

We also were lucky to have a computer lab attached to a class room ( only one in the school like that ) and we all became proficient in learning the use of the computer, including using spread sheet, and microsoft word.

Also we played Number munchers a lot so our math skills increased a ton. Me and my friend finished our entire math book and assignments by march and got to go on the computers during math for an hour every day.....which helped motivate me to do good in math and to learn the computer more.

I'm not that old. but I feel like my generation or age range was literally one of the last groups of kids who actually received a pretty good education.

I also think we were an experimental class with some of the things they taught us too....worked great...although later when I was in Highschool they tried " integrated math " .....our school distracts math scores went from highest in the state to well below average in just 4 years.....they scraped that before my little brother got there but it was too late for me.

I went from a B+ math student to a C- almost instantly.....They would teach us one thing for 2 weeks and then not come back to it until maybe 4 months later...They would teach us barely a little bit of everything but just little enough that we never got to grasp the concept of said math and we moved on......

Horrible decision by the distract that I assume had to do with money some how...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I don't think that this is a reflection on the intelligence of youth. To me this is an indicator that knowledge that is important to youth has shifted. Ask someone from the older generation to reconfigure a blackberry or set up a wifi and they would be stumped. But then putting down others to make yourself feel superior is an indicator of personal insecurities this is called projection.

This is a well known fact in psychology. If you knew anything about the causes behind this type of projection because you were knowledgeable in psychology and projection you would not have started this thread.
You see? Because this subject matter is not where you place importance it is not something that you would apply value of information to. (Yes I do see the hypocrisy of my last statement) The same can be said for the students who did not place importance on retaining factoids stipulated as important by the state.

Deflecting self issues onto a group or people is not only ignorant and projecting behavior but it tells the reader much about your own state.
Hope you feel better soon mate its a beautiful day.

One more thing I think that because of the ability to source information within seconds on ones phone the focus of this generation may have shifted to honing other abilities as memory retention of factoids is no longer as valued a resource because of the availability of fast answers at our fingertips. Culture shifts happen throughout history. The generation that came before always seems to gripe about the next when in reality we co created the society in which they now live.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Shirak because: add sum more.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I know plenty of young people, and they are not dumb.

If you asked them about the workings of an ipad, or something relevant to their lives, you would be surprised at how much they know, and how little you know.

The problem is our schools, which are mainly designed to exclude all but the most conformist of students.

Interesting, I found a link to a book that I think makes some excellent observations.

This one, I think, it particularly accurate.

johntaylorgatto.com...

During the post-Civil War period, childhood was extended about four years. Later, a special label was created to describe very old children. It was called adolescence, a phenomenon hitherto unknown to the human race. The infantilization of young people didn’t stop at the beginning of the twentieth century; child labor laws were extended to cover more and more kinds of work, the age of school leaving set higher and higher. The greatest victory for this utopian project was making school the only avenue to certain occupations. The intention was ultimately to draw all work into the school net. By the 1950s it wasn’t unusual to find graduate students well into their thirties, running errands, waiting to start their lives.

Recently I was reading a book of short bios, "The Book of the Dead', and one thing I noticed, is that back in the day, typically a boy would be made an apprentice around the age of 13. Now that sounds like exactly what we should be seeing. It isn't until you go to work, that your education really begins.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This is what you get when you remove the creative process from schooling. Anymore it's memorize this and spit it back out on paper tomorrow. No worries about showing your thought process on it because we will tell you what and how to think. What a joke! Was a very big eye opener when I dropped out of public high school to take home school and I got my hands on a history book writen by national geographic. It was like learning history all over again, and it was fun because I decided what to think and how to feel. I might not have the best grammer or spelling but atleast i'm a creative and can think for myself.

Education doesn't always equal intelligence.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Thanks for posting your links - Very important and explains so much
I posted a link to her site earlier - I do hope people pay attention
Thanks again

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

In a recent thread here on ATS about the nature of space-time, the majority of posters stated that time was illusory, gravity is a type of magnetism and any talk about spatial multi-dimensionality seemed to be construed as a mental exercise about the spiritual realm.

I hope you are not talking about me Mr chr0naught

I little understand the science and you did make that simple to understand
However science is not the only truth and of course when speaking of other dimensions if one believes in life after death ie we have a soul then other dimensions are a part of that even if not scientifically proved it is has a strong Philososophical base
edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: uneducated typo

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Oh boy. So basically, if 2012 doesn't do us in, then the younger generation certainly will bring about the end of our world.

Here's to living in Emarika!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by onewithall
Oh boy. So basically, if 2012 doesn't do us in, then the younger generation certainly will bring about the end of our world.

Here's to living in Emarika!

Not quite true or fair to blame the youth for being brainwashed more than prior generations.
Blame the old fart elites and their master plan first

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Excellent post OHD. Thank you for that. I'll come back to this later. This is proof of what I suspected for a long time. There are more workers than leaders as it is, and with the breeding habits of both, coupled with the educational disparirties, those numbers are going to remain the same for generations to come.

Time I found an intelligent woman who is up to my level and keep her barefoot, pregnant

Again, great post and videos.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

im a high school student, and after clicking on this post, i thought it would say stuff like "high school students dont know what 12x15 is" or something thats not true. what he said is true, but that's only because its history. this generation isnt stupid, we just dont care about history. (yes, i thought alaska was an island...
)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join