It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb As A Rock: You Will Be Absolutely Amazed At The Things That U.S. High School Students Do Not Kn

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'd have to agree with a previous poster who mentioned that the decline and dissolution of the 'family unit' paved the way for the Defartment of Leducation, where 'multiple guess' tests are used as determining factors in 'grading' one's knowledge and or intelligence.

All the while we have schools damn near, if not actually, Competing for 'excellence awards', grants, monies and the like for things such as building design, architecture, 'campus life' etc.

Well ... they do still Compete for the same via 'national rankings', with regards how their students 'test out' ... But, we've already covered and addressed that ... 'our kids multiple-guessed better than yours' -like, so to speak.
:shk:

Don't get me wrong. There's still a great number of fantastically-brilliant, up and coming minds throughout ... but, sadly, there seems a significant majority who'll never realize much more than minimum-wage employment and 'state-dependency' ... no matter their best efforts.

Worse yet, a Lot of that isn't necessarily attributable to the educational system as it is to society as a whole - No Gumption.

Sad. that.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
reply to post by chr0naut

No I do not take it hard and thank you for pointing out my error - I never used to use the word dimension before - just a bad habit I picked up - Yet is my understanding diminished - Not really as you know what I meant - Perhaps you could check my post for other gramma mistakes - How does the word realm suit - Joking aside what word would you use for spiritual or soul realm - I do agree we must keep a check of the meaning of words such as Gay etc meaning happy but I guess we lost that one

In the book 1984 by George Orwell, one of the control methods used by the ruling oligarchy was to redefine words to the point where they no longer had an unambiguous meaning. In the book, they called it Newspeak.

Wikipedia: Newspeak

Perhaps the erosion in the understanding of our language is designed and intended?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yes I can understand your frustration - The education system does not bring out the natural ability's of a child - It crushes them.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Really?

I'm not surprised that some of the replies in this thread are chock full of grammatical errors.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Yeah, its called a typo.

Do you think a college education makes someone more intelligent?

Why would you point out such a petty discrepancy?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Sorry in advance for not posting a link, but I googeled around and found, the "Could you pass the 1885 Admission test for high school? " If that's the stuff they knew back then, things have gone seriously downhill.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Yeah, its called a typo.

Do you think a college education makes someone more intelligent?

Why would you point out such a petty discrepancy?

Shhh, there are grammar Nazi's present!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Yes I can understand your frustration - The education system does not bring out the natural ability's of a child - It crushes them.

Yes, my son marched to the beat of a different drummer, he always says the only thing useful he learned in school was typing.

But yes, he was always strong willed, and they couldn't break him.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

At least they are capable of staying on topic.

Which is a far more important talent, than being nit picky.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Your trolling and being a bully.

Yes you are most correct in your use of English but you could have simply u2u'd the person and not embarrass him/her.

That is being mean.
edit on 7-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I interact with youth on a daily basis...all walks of life. Some are urban, some country and agricultural backgrounds, all ethnic groups, all religions. They come into my farm supply store and need my assistance with items such as dog wormer, leashes and chains for their dogs, some are mounting gates for their yards or drives. Some are actually helping with farm chores.

The problem is so few can rationalize, utilize a critical thought process, most have problems doing even the most basic math and applications to real life...by the end of the day, I want a cigarette and I don't smoke.

If you give 1 teaspoon of dog wormer per 10 lbs of weight, How many spoon fulls do you give to a 50lb dog?

That one always gets them..

Some will buy chains to restrain their dog...usually a massive pitbull, and can not figure out why a 10 ft piece of chain at $2.99 a foot costs over 30 bucks with tax. Many can not even comprehend 10 feet in abstract fashion. When I explain that the floor tiles are 1 foot square... and 10 tiles equals 10 feet...I had one today actually walk it off to make sure... and then I had to lay the chain out as he couldn't count the tiles.

I've had young people come into the store to buy chicken feed...layer pellets, and can't find them. I point them out.. literally stacked in front of them...the reply.."Oh, I didn't see them, they are the same color as the bag beside them." When Purina switched their bag color for Scratch Grains for chickens from yellow to brown...so many people couldn't find it...even though Scratch is printed in 8 inch letters.

Some times we have torn and damaged bags of feed...many ask the reduction and I will say half price as marked...So what is regular price?...30 dollars..."so how much is the half price?"

There are many that don't realize that a rope with a 300lb weight stress limit will not hold 400 lbs...

Or they can't figure out that a 10'x10'x6' dog kennel panel that is 10'x6' will not fit into the back of a mini van or that a large dog carrier with a 4' width and a 4' height will not fit into the back seat of a pimped out Toyota.

And don't even try explaining basic engineering and construction... "How long are your 8' gates?" or "How wide a path will a 12' gate cross?" or why they need long bolts to go really deep into a post to help support the weight of a 10' gate...

Anyway... I feel really frustrated at days end and yet really pity these young people. They have a really long road ahead of them. I don't even know if they comprehend the idea of rights, a Constitution, but judging from the dull look in their eyes when they complain about the sales tax and I explain to them that they can make a difference in the upcoming elections....

I'd say the US is in a world of dookey.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

Really?

I'm not surprised that some of the replies in this thread are chock full of grammatical errors.

Sword, I am not college educated, didn't graduate from high school either, had two children by the time I was 18, two more by 38.

It wasn't until I wanted to learn more about religion and its roots that I started reading and researching many years ago in the public library, then I got the computer, it and the school of hard knocks is where I was educated,

Every time I post I am sure it is full of errors.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by blackrain17

"Those who know the least obey the best." -George Farquhar

I collect quotes and that one is a gem, thanks................and it bears repeating!!!!!!

link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Perhaps the erosion in the understanding of our language is designed and intended?

Yes I think you have made a very good point for consideration there (above).

Even ancient egyptian scribes warned of such things occuring ie that their original philosophy would be lost in the transcribing of thier words of power ie meaning and would be replaced with a showy language ie Greek

link   

Some of the most intelligent and capable people I have known dropped out of high school. Those who graduated college typically had very little respect for the system.

From everything I have read, it has gotten far worse since I graduated HS thirty plus years ago.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

"United we stand, divided we fall"

"Knowledge is power."

Quite agree with you too.

It's right under our noses and yet so many just remain asleep.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Some of the most intelligent and capable people I have known dropped out of high school. Those who graduated college typically had very little respect for the system.

From everything I have read, it has gotten far worse since I graduated HS thirty plus years ago.

Many people are successful with out high school or college degrees, the way they propagandize now, and indoctrinate, I wouldn't care if my children spent much time in those not so hollowed halls.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Just remember when choosing a mate (and I'm old enough to be your mum) - you can always get her plastic surgery and or a gastric bypass but not a brain, a heart or courage..................those three things cannot be bought.

(Scarecrow, Tinman & Lion / Wizard of Oz).

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

In eighth grade we were given a blank map of the USA with the state borders but again blank. We were graded on how many we could fill in with the correct state and Hawaii and Alaska were included. I got 95% (Alaska & Hawaii were easy).

Still disappointed, I studied so hard I should have gotten all of them.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Just remember when choosing a mate (and I'm old enough to be your mum) - you can always get her plastic surgery and or a gastric bypass but not a brain, a heart or courage..................those three things cannot be bought.

(Scarecrow, Tinman & Lion / Wizard of Oz).

Just out of curiosity, how old do you think I am? I'm interested to know how my writing comes across to strangers.

I know how old you are when you stated that you graduated high school in '71. I'll just say that you're not old enough to be my mom.

The one "potential mate" I've got my eye on BTW has all the above. Brains, heart and courage.

She has to in order to put up with my social retardation

And plastic surgery? They could use her picture as a model by which to operate on the "asthetically challenged"

She's beautiful.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join