It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piercings and tattoos at work

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I personally don't have any tattoos are piercings, but I don't think it should matter much in the workplace. As long as they are not gang tats and are not rascist it really shouldn't matter too much. Tattoos are a way of free expression for some, almost like a artform, so they should be entitled as other types of art. I think piercings can get a little odd if you have a huge circle see through loop through your nose or something that might affect your speach, but other than that it really shouldn't matter much. Once again just my opinion.

-SAP-
edit on 14-11-2011 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jebbaroo

Well, where I'm from, in rural Canada, a gay teacher is still definitely a no-no. But why not a well-medicated, self-aware bipolar surgeon? Kaye Redfield Jamison is a highly respected bipolar psychologist, who is completely open about her illness.

Being a psychologist is different than being a surgeon. Do you know any bipolar people, and would you want them operating on you? Sure, maybe a family practitioner, or a psychologist, but not a surgeon. Too much risk involved, and very little margin for error.

As for gay teachers, I suspect there are many areas they are still not accepted. The gay boy scout leader was a good example. I don't think I would want my kids having a gay boy scout leader, but math teacher would be fine. At my old high school, our lesbian girls gym coach ended up marrying our football defensive line coach! He was the only guy in the school tougher than her! What an odd couple, but I think they are still together almost 20 years later.

Back to tattoos, they are a choice. That is much different than a health situation like bipolar, or an affinity like sexual orientation. (Don't know if it is a choice or not, not gonna debate it in this thread.)

A tattoo intentionally sends a message to be wary of that person. It is a little different for women. The "tramp stamp" sends a whole different message, LOL! But, I would say, even on a woman, a visible tattoo outside of the range normally covered in clothes, is intentional to send a message to respect their personal space and do not approach uninvited. This isn't the message you want your sales people sending to your clients!

Piercings are an entirely different story. I see no problem with a subtle eyebrow ring, nose ring, or lip ring, as long as it is small and tasteful. I do see a problem with a large spike, or the giant holes gauged out, or a bone in their lip or nose, LOL! That is gawdy and distasteful to some (most) people.

Plus, lets think of the many things people have lost their jobs for. Hank Jr is the latest. He didn't compare Obama to Hitler, he compared the golf game between the Obama and Boehner to a game between Hitler and Netanyahu. It was a comparison of drastically opposing sides, and it was taken out of context in a surprise question during an interview that was supposed to be about his father's new cd, but he still lost his job over it! Anything that even has a slight potential to sway someone's dollar away from a business is taken very seriously! So, if an employer thinks even one customer might be offended, it is worth taking the precaution and not allowing it.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Even one customer could be offended by anything that they choose to be offended about. Employers, especially in customer service watch this like a hawk nowadays, because customers have become increasingly immature. They are watching and controlling their workers a little too closely imo, in my state, and it needs to go.

Sounds like you're doing a flipflop here. How dare you keep Ron Paul in your signature while flip flopping! A real travesty.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

I agree customers are far too fickle, and businesses cater to them too far. I tend to frequent the little specialty shops that are what they are, and they make no overt attempts to be something else. I don't like the big franchise stores very much. It is a tough habit to break though!!

And, not flip-flopping. I said earlier in one of my first posts that I don't think the nose and lip rings are inappropriate, and I actually think covering them with a large bandaid looks more grotesque than having the subtle piercing.

I could never disrespect the good Dr, that way!

My First Post in thread.

One exception though. I think the little nose ring, and little lip ring are less obtrusive than the giant bandaid that covers them up! I think it looks nasty to have a waittress with a giant bandaid on her nose and another on her lip. I'd rather just see the piercing.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I thought you were eluding to the idea that you supported the complete and permanent removal of them, even if they were deemed tasteful by the majority of society.

I was kidding about the Ron Paul thing. Giving you a hard time.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I worked in a bottle shop (selling Alcohol if other countries call it something different!
) and I had this face
and never got a complaint (about the piercings, that is!
) . My old boss used to call the septum a 'bull ring' so i'd flip that one up while working with him, out of respect, but they hired me with them, and promoted me while working there
My left ear got to 20mm (and to the guys that called the gauges, please, don't.) and right ear got to 18mm. Not a word.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Other countries are much more accepting than the united states when it comes to work attire. Imo it's just another indicator that this country has been bought out a long time ago, and that we as Americans need to challenge these things when they happen.

We call it a bar or a club btw.
edit on 14-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I thought you were eluding to the idea that you supported the complete and permanent removal of them, even if they were deemed tasteful by the majority of society.

No, I never meant to imply that. I don't believe the employers should ever say you can't have them period, just that you can't have them at work.

For some things, removing them at work might mean they are going to close up, so instead, the person needs to find a way to cover them, or maybe find another position with less contact with the public.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Yeah, from the inductions i've done for the US companies, you are really strict - but i'll say those companies were also run much better in terms of efficiency! It wasn't a bar or a club, just where you sell wine/beer/spirits - I worked at a bar once and hated it, perverts everywhere! :/

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I have plenty of Tattoos and I work in Corporate America as a Sr. Systems Administrator, I do not catch any flack at all, I get plenty of compliments. But none of my tattoos go below the wrist or above my shoulders, and none of them can offends anyone.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Bottle Shop = Liquor Store in the US.

I don't think most Liquor Stores, or Bars would have a problem with the picture you posted. A few of the big box stores might, but not the smaller stores. BUT, I think you would have a hard time getting a job at Best Buy, or Wal-Greens, or Publix Shopping Centers with that look. It's a different crowd they are catering too.

What do you call those hoops that stretch the hole out? I've heard someone call it "gauging," but I don't know what it is really called. No offense, but it is my absolute least favorite of all the piercings. Only outdone by the prosthetic implants for spikes, and horns and such. Those are my really, really least favorite, LOL!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Yes, that is an issue. I just stab mine back through when that happens.

I guess I misread that and thought that you were jumping down my throat and thinking I demand to be able to look like Mike Tyson at my job. Sorry, my mistake.

I've heard those earrings called "plugs" btw.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

People call them gauging because they go by gauge, like 0gauge, 00gauge 000gauge, then into the fractions of inches etc - the things that you use are tapers and you put plugs or tunnels in once they are stretched, so they are just stretched ears. I'm allergic to the acrylic so it's a nightmare to stretch, have taken them out now, but they sit at about 6mm open now and forever. Usually you just say what mm you're at, the people that say gauges are usually the ones that say 'ink' instead of tattoo, and 'tattoo gun' instead of machine ;p. Maybe it's a bit more clique-y up in here, Brisbane/South East QLD has some of the best tattoo artists/piercers in the country, but some shops will laugh you out the door if you ask to get some 'ink by a tattoo gun' haha!

ETA, or like, Evolutionsend said, if they've got plugs in there, they're called plugs too

edit on 14/11/2011 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/11/2011 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
i think its fair to discriminate against those with tattoo's, people who get tattoo's know that they'll be judged to a certain degree for having them but do it anyway.
i'd say stop whining and dont get anymore.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I guess I misread that and thought that you were jumping down my throat and thinking I demand to be able to look like Mike Tyson at my job. Sorry, my mistake.

No, not your mistake, I did kind of think you were demanding that an employer let someone look like Mike Tyson at work. Not you necessarily, but that it should be someone's "right." That is why I came out hard on the other side of the fence. As in all things, the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

I used to have a mechanic that worked for me that looked a lot like the guy in this video. He had one side with a full sleeve, he had the "plugs" in both ears, he was a big, good-looking guy, and a good mechanic, and I made him keep a long-sleeve shirt in his toolbox in case any corporate folks ever came around. Otherwise, I thought he looked good for a mechanic. When he eventually became a Service Manager, he had to wear long sleeves all the time, but we let him keep the plugs in, because his ears looked worse without them.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

So it's a case of the private sector putting it's influence on it's workers? Why do we as a society allow it? Why, in a world of self expression and tolerance, are we still allowing this to go on?

Private business can't hire based on religion, sex, race, age, disability, or creed. The CRA doesn't cover tattoos, as well it shouldn't. If a business doesn't want a walking billboard working for them, it's their right or to tell them to cover them up, to not hire them at all.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Well, yeah!
If you do not like a businesses stance on tatoos or piercings, you do not have to grace them with your business.
I am not fond of either of them.
Piercings are ok on a womans ear one or two, but I do not care for tats on anyone.
If one needs to prove how tough they are to their Daddy, there has to be a better way.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I'm not really fond of "clearing the slate" as I put it, but when an employer wants to dictate whether you can have something outside of work, it's a problem for me. They have quick and easy ways to hide piercings, and it's barely noticeable unless you're into someone's personal space.

how to hide a piercing

reply to post by The Old American

As I've said previously, an employer does have to answer to their employees (and society) to an extent, whether it's union or not. We need to remind them of this fact.

The highest law in the land, is actually social law. Which is why people convicted of heinous crimes are shackled while wearing body armor, because officials fear that social law will execute (assassinate) the offender before due process has been made.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Can't say that I catch any flack for my "tattoo" but then again it IS on my back so no one really knows I have any ink (as I prefer to not "show it off" as it is personal message meant for me only):

(I have had around 20% more work done since that pic...essentially all of my lower back has since been incorporated into my piece, another 15% or so and my full back piece is complete)

NT
edit on 14-11-2011 by Newbomb Turk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

If one needs to prove how tough they are to their Daddy, there has to be a better way.

Gee gosh, I wish someone had told me there must have been a better way years ago! /sarcasm.

What a stupid generalisation.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join