It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piercings and tattoos at work

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

The word sacrifice is perhaps a little dramatic, but I do kind of get what you are saying. The thing is that you can't discount the fact that a huge chunk of the population is older than you, and servicing them is going to be on the mind of most corporations. Until your cohort has the bulk of the purchasing power, that's just the way it is going to be. I can't swear, drink, dress provocatively or make dark jokes at work, and 3 of those things I love to do dearly. That's what my weekends are for. I love my job regardless. I also can't swear, drink, dress provocatively or make dark jokes when I'm with my elderly aunt. Nor could I if I went to church. Those things require me to employ a different discourse. Thaat's just how it goes. A society is built of a miriad of different generations. We need to do what we need to do to get along with them all as best we can.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

I have thought of starting my own business! I can say with certainty that I would not want to start a business that serves the section of society that would take issue with the way I look.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jebbaroo

Those generations are often not willing to give an inch though.
They're old, so they're right. You're young (and dumb obviously), so you're wrong.

I'm lucky enough to work for a corporation that is pretty middle of the road. The fact that they're not American owned may have something to do with their company policy. They simply want them taken out while you are working. Which is a real pain in the butt, but does not dictate my life outside of work which is fine for me.
edit on 14-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
you knew that visible tattoos and piercings could hurt your chances of getting employment, and would make it difficult to be viewed as a professional in any management capacity, yet you chose to get them anyway, and now you are complaining about it?

I say grow up and learn to live with your choices.

Oh, and before you go trying to run wild with how I just hate tattoos and piercings, let me tell you, I'm a professional tattooer, and have been for 21 years.

I made my decisions and I live with them.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by peck420

I have thought of starting my own business! I can say with certainty that I would not want to start a business that serves the section of society that would take issue with the way I look.

I sincerely wish you good luck with that.

I was that naive at the beginning too.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by eightonefive

What is a tattooer? If you're gonna lie, make it believable kid! The correct term for that occupation, is tattoo artist.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
www.philshamrock.com

tattooer is the old school term for my job. don't test me, and don't call me kid.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

What is a tattooer?

A tattoo artist (also tattooer or tattooist) is an individual who applies permanent decorative tattoos, often in an established business called a tattoo shop, tattoo studio or tattoo parlour.

Although, it is not the most commonly used form of tatto artist, I know a couple of old guys at the shop my wife gets her work done at, that still use the term.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Two things are for sure...you are a drama queen with a sense of entitlement. I'd have fleshed that out in an interview and never hired you. Sorry, but that's my hard reality. Times are tough and a business does what it thinks it needs to do to NOT dissuade even a single customer from purchasing its goods or contracting for its services.

My guess is that your employer has simply had enough of your lousy attitude and is looking for a way to make you walk so he/she does not have to pay you unemployment compensation. Lots of hungry unemployed who would be more than grateful for the job you are complaining about.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

I'm not naive, but I'm not beat down and scared of the man either.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
It's for this very reason that to this day I refuse to do facial, neck, and hand tattoos on people who aren't in the business. back in the 70s and 80's the NTA (National Tattoo Association) would kick you out if they found out you had performed a facial tattoo on someone else, even if that someone else was a tattooer themselves. I have Facial tattoos myself and I know what it's like to live with very visible work.

Kids these days think they can just mark themselves up without any repercussions, but I'll tell you right now, I remember just 15 years ago when mothers would pull their children away from me when I walked by them at the grocery store.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

You are most definitely naive if you believe that company dress codes have anything to do with 'fear of the man'.

It is the fear of not putting food on the table, fear of not having a roof over my family's head, and fear of alienating my clientel that drive me.

'The man' is the easiest one of the bunch to deal with.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Read the thread! It helps to understand the situation that brought this issue up, but it's not the point of the thread.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I'm definitely not "all marked up". I have one tattoo, that's not visible, and one facial piercing that is not very visible when removed.

Yea, I'm all marked up and crying about it. Read the thread to know why I'm being bothered about it.

reply to post by peck420

Who tells you that you can't put food on the table because of a piercing or a tattoo? The man, the machine, that's who.
edit on 14-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
so the lip is the problem?
seems silly. I was under the impression it was much worse than that. Society is changing sweetheart, you are just on the cusp of it. wait until all these kids that are covered are the business owners. Then it wont be a problem. Be thankful you didn't have to go through the years I did being heavily covered.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
NEWS FLASH
Nobody is hiring this guy......

I can understand accepting people for who they are
tats piercing and all, but some stuff just is ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE...

You feel me?

I have no tats, will not ever get one. I can not think what I want to
eat for a whole week at a time let a lone if I would want the same tattoo
i think is cool now, in 40 years..

Tats are for military men and Indians.

Personally I do not care.

I was taught growing up only military men and indians should have tats.
Now how true is that? I do not know.

I personally would never look down on a man in service with tats
of his divisions and service
or Indians (or Africans I suppose) That use it as tribal tradition..

Just look AT THIS GUY!

This guy is a total tool... !!

Do you want your grandma being nursed bye this guy at the nursing home>?

NEVER not even changing her diapers..

THERE IS A LINE.
edit on 14-11-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I get similar reactions with just a tattoo on my neck now...kinda hurt at first but then I figured it was their problem I'm happy with me and proud of my art

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Not to sound racist here, but black women love my facial tattoos. I've had black cashiers reach across the coutner and touch my face. "ooo that's sexy..." OMG I wish that would stop.

But, I bought the ticket, now I gotta take the ride. right?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

That's funny though!!! I feel for ya

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightonefive
you knew that visible tattoos and piercings could hurt your chances of getting employment, and would make it difficult to be viewed as a professional in any management capacity, yet you chose to get them anyway, and now you are complaining about it?

I say grow up and learn to live with your choices.

Oh, and before you go trying to run wild with how I just hate tattoos and piercings, let me tell you, I'm a professional tattooer, and have been for 21 years.

I made my decisions and I live with them.

May I ask why a bit of ink on your skin can deter an employee from hiring a brilliant mind? Is a surgeon less of a surgeon because he/she has a motorhead tattoo?

Is a soldier less of a soldier because he/she has a LFc tattoo?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join