It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football Players Penalized for pointing towards Heaven.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
We get that in the UK all the time, it often has little to do with religion as a whole and more to do with the agenda of TBTB. For example, anything to with Christianity is seen to be outlawed in the work place etc, yet other religious traditions are widely accepted and encouraged. Go figure. I'm not religious, but I believe in freedom of expression and freedom of speech. If a footballer wants to point to the sky, let him, what harm does it do? I draw the line with Suicide bombers, but generally, I'd rather listen to their rhetoric and give open argument against, than to repress and force it underground where there is little counter argument for easily influenced minds to take on board. Bottom line is, whether I like it or not, I'd rather hear it than not. I'd rather believe that freedom still existed, than not. If not, then there is no stopping the censorship train! Those who it runs down could easily say "Me today, you tomorrow" and they would be not far from the truth.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
As long as they don't point to the sky using their middle fingers, I think it's alright. What if they wear a lucky shirt? That's kind of superstitious. Maybe that could be banned too.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Annee

That's BS and you know it. Emotion is a part of the game. So is teamwork and loyalty. If someone wants to show respect to their God, or their fallen brethren, it is perfectly fine. The rule is there to prevent "excessive celebration," but not to stop a simple gesture.

Not to me. I don't agree with you.

It costs a lot of money to go to any professional sport these days. As a paying customer - - I do not want anyone's personal belief displayed.

Well I do.
When I watch Messi score a goal in 'real' FOOTball I like to see him point up with BOTH his fingers to God.
I'd love to see someone TRY and stop that.

All you do is talk nonsense.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

It has been a rule for quite sometime. All players are aware of it.

Fans pay to see a game played. They do not pay to witness God.

Witness God? Ok that makes sense..

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
So American Football players pointing to the heavens to honour their dead friend after scoring a touchdown might be seen as offensive to some? Is this a joke? The Political Correctness Brigade strikes again!
edit on 1/9/2011 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Having read many comments from atheists (not just in this thread), I have to say you lot are becoming worse than the bible bashers! Just as you say you don't want other peoples religion shoved down your throat, is it really necessary to have a go at everybody who does believe in a particular deity?

Any time somebody mentions something pertaining to faith, you can be guaranteed there is an atheist lurking to flame them. If they are forcing their faith on you sure, but a mere mention of religion is no reason to be an ass.

edit on 1-9-2011 by Supacabana because: Grammar

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I will most likely get flamed here, but so be it. But before you flame me, read the entire post. First and foremost, I am an atheist. I don't believe in some giant guy in the sky controls every move I make. Until I see physical proof it exists, then it doesn't.

Having said that, I am also an American. And as such, the Constitution gave all Americans certain rights, one of those being the freedom of religion. There are no stipulations on that, and there should be no interpretation of that. As an American, you should be able to practice your religious beliefs in any manner you see fit, in public or otherwise. As long as it does not trample on my freedoms to oppose it, then I see nothing wrong in what they did. I see pro players do the cross gesture when they score, so how is this any different? If they wanted to pray before/after a game, that is their right. If they want to pray in school, that is their right. The United States of the Offended needs to stop! Quit being trifle over stupid sh*t and mind your own damn business! Quit worrying about what someone else does, and worry about what you do!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
simple he just has to claim that he was designating himself number 1 !

as in I am number 1 baby !

Oh I hate to say it but it sounds like america is turning into , "dont you'll offend someone britian ! "

edit on 1-9-2011 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

And people like you are the reason that our country is in the downward spiral that it is in..... When are we going to see that all of this "political correctness" is killing our way of life? Sad, sad, sad.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Alright a comment like this is enough to get a rise from the sailor. We as parents should thank god everyday for the gift of our children. Not to mention pray for the safety of our kids during these types of sporting events. It's not surprising this type of behavior in our lady gaga gay sensative society, that someone would take offense. That being said excessive celebrations do occur and do distract the game. This ref made the call and the team was penalized. But, what will he tell jehovah on judgement day? I was only doing what I was told to do. Do you think that will be good enough? This statement is true for every human being on this planet. Each man and woman will be judged. What will you say? I say I'm sick and tired of the rich and famous degrading our society for the benefit of wealth and prestige. I know I strayed from the topic of the game, but this world has gotten way too GODLESS for me!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Football is a joke nowadays anyway!!

One example, Manchester City. They were nobodies going nowhere until a rich arab came along and splashed some cash around allowing them to get their hands on some of the best players in the world. Now? They are at the top end of the table with the possibility of actualy winning the Premier League. It's seriously annoying because it all comes down to who has the biggest wallet.

As for goal celebrations? Just slap their wrists and give them a fine - hell, they can afford it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

It has been a rule for quite sometime. All players are aware of it.

Fans pay to see a game played. They do not pay to witness God.

"to witness God"???

Fans are there to watch their kids play - it's High School Football. And regardless of your religious orientation (or lack there of) the obvious spite you are displaying for anything referencing God betrays the belief you claim not to have.

None the less, the "spirit" of the rule is to limit actions meant to honor ones-self in a self-glorifying manner or in a manner meant to taunt the other team.

The Ref who threw the flag obviously was more worried about either:
A. Enforcing an arbitrary rule to the letter regardless of intent
B. Ensuring his team had a chance to kick a field goal...

Lots of home cookin' in that call. What a tool.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrixXxtaR
Football is a joke nowadays anyway!!

One example, Manchester City. They were nobodies going nowhere until a rich arab came along and splashed some cash around allowing them to get their hands on some of the best players in the world. Now? They are at the top end of the table with the possibility of actualy winning the Premier League. It's seriously annoying because it all comes down to who has the biggest wallet.

As for goal celebrations? Just slap their wrists and give them a fine - hell, they can afford it.

You do realize this is about American football in High School right? No fines please, they're part time jobs at McDonald's can't afford it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Annee

That's BS and you know it. Emotion is a part of the game. So is teamwork and loyalty. If someone wants to show respect to their God, or their fallen brethren, it is perfectly fine. The rule is there to prevent "excessive celebration," but not to stop a simple gesture.

Not to me. I don't agree with you.

It costs a lot of money to go to any professional sport these days. As a paying customer - - I do not want anyone's personal belief displayed.

YOU NEED TO READ!

It was HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL... NOT PROFESSIONAL SPORTS...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Celebrations are regulated. That's what it is.

Personally, I find the pointing to God thing to be totally tacky.

People are starving to death, but God loves me enough to give me a touchdown. Woo-Hoo. Frackin' Narcissistic Idiots.

He was pointing to heaven for his recently dead best friend that he was the pall bearer for that morning... read the dadgum article.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRemedial
reply to post by Annee

The fact that you find a person POINTING offensive is just stark crazy and with that level of intolerance you would fit in perfectly into any oppressive society. Offensive to the other team and patrons, give me a break...And they bloody well wonder why thing's are the way it is in this society. It's any wonder we get anything done.

I have the right to my opinion - - as do you.

You tell me how fans and media would react if a player - in the same situation - held up an Atheist symbol.

These type situations - - don't swing both ways.

ROFL... what is an "Atheist Symbol" ??? how can you have a symbol for believing in "nothing"?

Just my opinion (since you're fond of those) - I think you believe very much in God and are very angry and/or scared of him and what it means to you... so you fight it for all you're worth and claim to wave a flag of "Atheist" when all that really means is "Denial".

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by gncnew
ROFL... what is an "Atheist Symbol" ??? how can you have a symbol for believing in "nothing"?

Just my opinion (since you're fond of those) - I think you believe very much in God and are very angry and/or scared of him and what it means to you... so you fight it for all you're worth and claim to wave a flag of "Atheist" when all that really means is "Denial".

One thing I've noticed about this website is that almost nobody here has even the most remote idea as to what atheism is.

You are yet another.

I've also noticed I spend a lot of time trying to correct these misunderstandings.

I failed to recognize the obvious: that nitwits are unlikely to ever learn.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

They pay to see their team. If they don't like their team, don't pay.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Seems dumb to me. School can not officially promote nor demote religion. But your personal opinion can be expressed. That's plain old fashioned constitution.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Not surprising. Sensitivity has become the new religion of the left. "don't offend" is the first commandment and "conform" the second.

This is another chapter out of the same book that rips dodgeball out of the school yard because fat kids are offended. It is all the same PC, do not offend, lets feminize the the society rubbish that is stripping our culture from expression and individuality.

The country was build on a foundation of the acceptance of the individual. Its what makes the society unique. Why don't folks ultimately like the religous expression? Because religion is the primary competitor of government. If someone is offended by someone pointing to heaven then need to get a life. What if he's pointing to the upper deck? Is he going to have to explain that? "No ref, I was point to the upper deck. Thats where my family sits". The the entire thing is PC trash.

Personally if something offends the overly sensitive, I tend to think its a positive thing.

Football is a violent game when every play can be the last one, someone religious thanking God is reasonable. What's next, removing the groups of players who openly pray in circles before games, mostly praying for the safety of the players (including the non-religious)?

Now if the player were to knee down and touch his head on the field in the direction of Mecca, that would not be a problem........
edit on 1-9-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join