It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football Players Penalized for pointing towards Heaven.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I can promise you this; if one of the players were a muslim and had to wash his feet on the sidelines in a "holy bath", NOBODY would dare call foul. Just like footbaths in airports...that's okay but the 10 commandments is wrong; a cross is wrong.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeGuitar
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I agree with your assessment there, but I wonder what your position is on this particular topic (if I missed it earlier, I'm sorry). I find it utterly ridiculous that such a gesture from a high school kid could possibly affect people in that way. Do other people's actions hold that much power in some minds?

I'm going to ask you.

Why is this news? What is the real reason this minor event is all over the internet - - - even becoming a discussion on ATS.

I certainly didn't make it an issue. I'm commenting on it - - - but I did not make it an issue.

I also find it utterly ridiculous that a minor 2 or 3 second gesture is being blown up all over the internet.

So why is it? Be honest.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourignoranceisbliss
Except people are not robots. We do not work for your entertainment mechanically. The guy expressed his feelings in a non-obstructive way.

Did you really just complain about seeing something completely harmless that you didn't like?

You're in for a rough ride in life, kid.

People who cause controversy like this are a sad reminder of the times we live in.

I did not make the rule. Do you think kids should be given a pass on established rules?

Kid? I'm 65.

Who caused controversy? And why?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by marinesniper0317
if an atheist wants to point down after a goal I could care less...it does not bother or offend me...

Why would an Atheist point down? Are you equating Atheism with Satanism?

If I was to point at anyone it would be my teammates - coach - mentor - - or another living person that affected my life in a positive way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But rules are rules. If you don't like the rules - - then you do something to change them - - before the fact - - not after.

Is it right to tell young impressionable kids - - - they don't have to abide by established rules?

Because god might be involved - - - you get a "pass" on following established rule?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The ref is obviously a Satanist.
There seems to be a lot of Satanists in America & the UK these days,
especially with all the discrimination against Christians of late. So c'mon Christians grow a backbone and celebrate & wear your Christian bling with pride and tell these Satanists to go burn in hell.

When people think they have the right to force & tell another human being what to think or what to believe, when it isn't even harming anyone, then they are stepping over that fine line called respect. That's the time to show them the two finger salute,
or even better, just ignore them and walk away.

edit on 1-9-2011 by kindred because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rabbit281
Like I said, I don't know exactly what call the Ref made, but as someone who is really into football, I can say that for one certain call he may have been justified, for anything else, he was jsut being a controlling a-hole.

Thanks for your post.

Who exactly is objecting to this call? And why?

Having raised two kids in youth sports - - - you learn quickly about "judgment calls". Parents can behave extremely crazy in such situations. The kids seem to take it more in stride. If trained correctly - - they respect the officials call. They may not like it and think it is unfair - - but kids should respect that an official is just doing his/her job. They are human too.

It is up to the coach to disagree/object.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Why would an athieist have a symbol for one thing, sorta would go against your religion. And another thing, are they putting some kinda stupid potion in the water around the world? Im really starting to wonder. Could we as a people get any dumber, with all this petty crap? I dont want ot go to a game because i dont want to see a religious symbol displayed by a player,so some people go to the game to watch the game. Most normal people dont give a hoot if they point at the sky, the goal post or if they celebrate. They are there to have fun.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
There are enough legitimate violations of church & state separation that I fail to see why something like this even pings the radar. Firstly, there is no "heaven" to point to, and if he were to "point towards heaven" 12 hours after this it would be in the exact opposite direction. Secondly, placing a finger in the air doesn't appear to be religious to me.
Even as an atheist I'd refuse to take this battle.

I somehow get the feeling the team got a penalty for celebration and are attempting to morph it into a religious issue to gain sympathy.
Either that, or maybe the ref hates that team. I really don't see why they got penalized, it wasn't excessive at all, religious or not.

Originally posted by Tarzan the apeman.
reply to post by Annee

Why would an athieist have a symbol for one thing, sorta would go against your religion.
You have no idea what atheism is, do you?
edit on 1-9-2011 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Why would an Athieist have a symbol for one thing, sorta would go against your religion.

You need to be religious to have a symbol?

Go against your religion? What religion?

Lack of belief - - is not a belief.

Some Atheists have adopted the international symbol for the Atom - - with variations in design.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Your post made me smile. You are a prime example of a great American. I would be proud to fight alongside of you against any oppression.

As for the OP, my opinion is that, yes, rules are rules. If they point, pay the price

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
You said pointing towards Heaven. Now show me where "Heaven" is first...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I always just assumed that those guys were pointing at the overhead blimp, as a way to keep people focused on who is actually responsible for their wonderful touchdowns or whatever. The sponsors.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

If it is something you think to be true, then it is a belief is it not?

Regardless....This is absolutely rediculous. Poor athiests worried about a person pointing at the sky and ruining their otherwise perfect day! Such a sin!...wait...no such thing as sin. Such as waste of air displacement!

Next thing you know, I can't wear my cross, and my tattoos have to be removed for fear of frightening the non-believer.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Did someone see where he was pointing? This could be the "smoking gun" to find out if Heaven is real or make-believe!
edit on 1-9-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

How does one define religion in the first place? Is it religious to point at the sky? What about bumping your chest twice? What about kneeling with your head bowed? What about a black number emblazoned on a shoulder patch? The sport itself is a sort of religion, so how can we possibly be offended by one gesture and not another? We absolutely cannot remove emotion from the game.
reply to post by getreadyalready

I have to agree entirely on this. Coming from the UK, people are as passionate (if not more so,) about football than god. The football terraces are the new churches. The chants and songs you hear are the new hymns and prayers. It's a battle of Good Vs Evil! (lol). It's passion, it's pleasure and pain. It's....religion! The teams are not made up of automatons, but individuals with personalities that play their part on the bigger picture of the collective you choose to worship. Some people are offended when a player comes on and crosses his heart/shirt, or picks a piece of grass off the pitch, etc before he plays. Why? What about all the players that don't? Should I be offended that that player didn't somehow choose to express himself in a way that I can relate to/support/empathise with/connect with? What do we do next, strip clubs of their identities, have everyone playing in a universal nationwide club colour so that 'Hey everyone is a winner somehow!'
You can stick your political correctness up your 'Gay Whales against the Bomb' self righteous hole.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Athieist push there none belief almost as bad as religious nuts push there belief, they are one in the same. But it is kinda hard to see when you are wearing blinders.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Athieist push there none belief almost as bad as religious nuts push there belief, they are one in the same. But it is kinda hard to see when you are wearing blinders.

Atheism is not a belief or even a none belief. It is not any kind of belief. It is a lack of belief.

Truthfully - - Atheists are mostly in the position of defense.

Blinders? Hmm? After a 60 year god quest - my ending conclusion is it makes no sense - there is no god.

Which blinders are you referring to exactly?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A rule was broken - pay the price.

Why is no one answering my question of why this is even news?
edit on 1-9-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm
reply to post by Annee

If it is something you think to be true, then it is a belief is it not?

NO.

I have beliefs. They do not include a deity.

Lack of belief is lack of belief.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You either believe there is a god or believe there is not.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
A Glasgow Celtic player does this before each game. Hondurun International player, Emillo Izzagire.....never heard of a problem. BUT.........crossing yourself in Scotland can get you into bother. Google Arther Boruc.....Scotland is a vert protestant, racist country. .

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join