It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billionaire sheikh carves his name in desert so big it can be seen from SPACE

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
Just the other day I was saying, it is a shame we, modern man, have not made a monument to the scale of the ancients. It is too bad that when it is finally done it is out of the ego of one man.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

Every single monument in history is the result of someone's ego

To be honest, if I were as rich as him (and the $14b stated as his wealth is a gross understatement), I'd do the same...my name is longer though. And if someone asked my why I did it, the answer would be "because I can".

Also, I'm an environmentalist, I separate my trash, donate a few $1000 to Sea Shepherd and the Red Cross every year, but I don't see how this is harming the environment. I've been to Abu Dhabi multiple times, and the place where those letters now are is a desert. There's only sand...and plenty of it

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by silverking
Next thing you know when you look up at the sky instead of a beautiful natural full moon you will see the letters BP.

Then the Ground will have to be re plasmad
To a smooth natural surface again, SMH its a waste of money. But you know the rich gotta stay flexin lol

edit on 7/22/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I wonder how many people in the world have the name Hamad.

Just a rich mans way of doing graftit ... shame on him.
I could think of other ways id like to be remembered. you know like building self suficient villages, building parks for wildlife, education, oh my the list goes on..

but not this guy, he wants to be remembered for this .

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I wonder how many people in the world have the name Hamad.

Just a rich mans way of doing graftit ... shame on him.
I could think of other ways id like to be remembered. you know like building self suficient villages, building parks for wildlife, education, oh my the list goes on..

but not this guy, he wants to be remembered for this .

Actually...he's doing all of those things. They are still building entire eco-villages, wildlife parks, and education is not a real issue down there. Having said that, this particular project is a pure ego project of course

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I can honestly say even if I had all the money in the world doing something like this would not be something I would think of doing. Makes you wonder who he wrote it for. We can't really be mad about this sort of thing because we paid for at least some of it. We support their lavish life style every time we fill up our gas tank. Tomorrow will be my first day without a car since I was 14. I was second guessing my decision to sell my car and give up driving but reading this thread makes me feel much better about my decision.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Who does this oil belong to? A few people, or the citizens of dubai?

As this is in Abu Dhabi, it certainly wouldn't belong to the people of Dubai! The two are seperate Emirates, that, along with 5 more, form the United Arab Emirates.

The oil "belongs" to the Emirates, and the country as a whole, and for your information, pays for the development of the country and the locals (Emiratis) benefit greatly from the oil wealth of the country, with free electricity and water, free heathcare, generously termed mortgages, to mention but a few.

You should read up a bit about the UAE!
edit on 22-7-2011 by BlueOrb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by discostu123
half the worlds population go without access to clean drinking water, and people are allowed to waste millions on pointless things like this, absolutely insane.

if you want to talk about insanity and water - a 500ml bottle of local mineral water here costs AED 1, which is about 17p. ( 25-30 US cents)

How much do you pay for 500ml of Evian? How much profit do Evian make, basically bottling a natural resource? How much do they contribute to those countries where water is an issue?

I don't see many Somalis drinking Evian

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Could none of his mates tell him about photoshop?

On a more serious note this is the kind of thing you would expect from an anti-christ figure.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Me think's he's over compensating for something.
(small penis)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What a waste of money!

...I would have at least wrote something funny.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This time in two years our "HAMAD" will be riding on camels and living in a tent as he was born to do.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
These two images come to mind whence I viewed this...

Firstly, this;
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6874aa1fcd1c.jpg[/atsimg]

Then the more likely to be censored;

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3bb5f76f13bb.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DBCooper71

Ha! yep, tiny wang, over compensate by writing name REALLY BIG!!!!!!!
Problem solved.

edit on 22-7-2011 by BoneMosaic because: Edit canum canis.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by BoneMosaic

Even the richest man in the world would trade it all for an extra few cm's added to his tallywacker....(sad ain't it)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
You can check out his rather bizarre car collection here:

www.enam.ae...

Most of his cars are very run-of-the-mill. He has Volkswagons, Mini Coopers, Smart cars, Vipers, a Mercedes with rainbow seats, Porsches, old Cadillacs, a military vehicle with a golf range built on top, an upscaled Dodge Power Wagon with an entire apartment built into it (and a see-through roof), pickups, Jeeps, etc. etc. He must be a rather eclectic individual!

EDIT to add: I found a video of his giant Power Wagon (with the apartment built into it), it's an exact replica, but scaled up 64 times larger!!!!

edit on 22-7-2011 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
This time in two years our "HAMAD" will be riding on camels and living in a tent as he was born to do.

What do you mean? I'm pretty sure he rides a camel once in a while already as it's a tradition down there...and what's wrong with tents? Either way, your statement makes no sense whatsoever

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Well isn't he super cool now.

I'll try to calm myself from all the excitement.
edit on 22-7-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

lol! yup, but this guy added a few kilometres to his tallywacker!

So maybe it's now a Kilomawhacker?..........No?....

edit on 22-7-2011 by BoneMosaic because: the stuff and the things and the jello sweaters. And the attempt at the funnies.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Nice find that!

LARGE.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BoneMosaic

lol! yup, but this guy added a few kilometres to his tallywacker!

Well I must admit it is impressive, I bet he's the envy of all the other wealthy guy's with baby d**k's.
(Which I imagine most of them have)

edit on 22-7-2011 by DBCooper71 because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join