It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billionaire sheikh carves his name in desert so big it can be seen from SPACE

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Yeah yeah its a waste and the guy is an egomaniac and think of the children...but still...I must admit: the guy is an original, and that makes me smile. I'm a great fan of eccentric characters on an intuitive level. This is like the fantasy you'd get if you asked a five-year-old what he would do with a billion dollars...something in me is happy an adult can still retain -- and act on -- such fantasies.

For an encore, I recommend that he gather 50 of the world's greatest genetic engineers and splice some of his genes into an aneorbic bacteria culture, which he could then use to terraform Mars, bombarding the planet with rockets loaded with the new life. Every creature in the new world would bear his genetic fingerprint...talk about immortality.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
He's just marking his territory.

If he wasn't rich, he would have stole a can of spray paint and found a wall...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
its the biggest tag in the world!

dude is taking it to a whole new level

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Meh. Big deal. It does NOT compare to the pyramids (as ego-centric as they may have been) because with a back-hoe and a few days the next rich schlepp can come by and just fill it all back in again. Unlike the thousand+years reign of the pharoes, this guy's real estate won't be his for more than a generation.

So the guy carves his name in the sand. Whoopee. What a colossal waste of resources. People like this remind of bullies in the sandbox that always had to have the biggest toys and occupy the most sand, shoving everyone else out Unimpressed then. Unimpressed now. And what kind of idiot would spend all this money and then put it in upside down!??
What a buffoon!!

I'd like to take a planeload of my best buddies over there and share a few kegs of beer and turn one of those letters a nice bright yellow. Now that would be something to see from space!

Pound THAT sand, pal!

edit on 7/21/2011 by Outrageo because: whatever...

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

someone needs to sneak in there at night and change the HA to a 'U' and put a question mark at the end.

"Hey fellas, come and have a look at the satellite pictures I have here"

"Look, you can see my name from space, aren't I rich!!"

'UMAD?'

"mother-F*********RS!!"

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Yet another megalomaniac. Not good karma, rich man.

Spend your trillions on feeding starving people.

He is a sitting target for something - evil aliens who want to know your name...something anyway.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by flyingkiwi

Hemad.

Star for you, sir, for a good laugh

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Hamad is a pretty common name. It's not "his" name.

By god this is some serious ignorance.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
HAMMAD spelled backwards is Damm-a**. I had to go there but y'all catch my drift, eh. Maybe the winds will take care of that pitiful need for attention. I mean, how many hammads are there? I don't even know what the guy looks like or care if he is wealthy. It goes to show how wasteful people can be.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Rich people suck all around the world....You know, I never see graffiti I like.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
As for the name HAMAD carved into the desert. Personally I think it is pretty cool and kind of goes along with the size and scale of the tourist locations, but one disaster like a major sand storm, earthquake, tsunami, raising sea levels, etc. and its all gone. But hey now that I think of it, by turning it into a water way that could actually help to compensate for raising sea levels to a small point. S&F for posting V1RT

reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Hi Prefessional,

Here we are yet again. So many times I see you write how smart you are, how educated you are, etc., yet here we are again with it in question. Oh wait...just a minute...okay...Its always in question. Thats why I am so familiar with How Educated and intelligent you are.

I was wondering if you use memory altering substances, because that would explain an awful lot, but I really don't want to know, nor do I care really. I will just explain this one to you as well.

Do you remember, oh so many years ago, way back in 2008, that Dubai was all over the news because they were building a palm tree island and other artificial islands in various shapes and sizes including a global map?
And do you remember that they were building a ski scraper, and nifty little Temple?
Here is a video to spark that memory: www.metacafe.com...

I hope you watched the video because it also answers this next question. Why are they building them?
Dubai is running out of oil and has decided to maintain its newly founded wealth by creating a financial center and tourist destination. These projects began in the 80s. If they were running out of oil then, how much do you think they have now after 25 years + or -?

Then there was the controversy over genocide and borderline slave labor to complete these projects. Remember? I will tell you what, I found this little web site called;
"English-Online Articles in Easy, Understandable English for Learners"
and the article is called; "Dubai - A Persian Gulf Emirate"
Here it is: www.english-online.at...

edit on 22-7-2011 by IPILYA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Future generations will interpret the inscription as HA, MAD!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

HE USED OBAMA STIMULUS MONEY TO PAY FOR THIS!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

That's one big tag that other graffiti artists are going to have trouble trying to top.

As to people saying the damage to the environment just to satisfy this bloke's ego, it's no different as to the desecration of the Black Hills at Mt Rushmore just to satisfy the American ego.

If you think it is a great symbol of America, not everyone agrees.

Corporate Avenger - White Faces In The Black Hills!

edit on 22-7-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I'm surprised Obama didn't beat him to it.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
No different than any other punk azz drop out with a can of spray paint defacing the planet with graffiti . If he couldn't stick a pipe in the sand and suck up oil he'd just be another 8th century barbarian . Money can buy you stuff but it can't buy you class .

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pr0sp3r0
Eheh... The guy used the latin alphabet ; probably an homage to the romanesque purveyors of his undue fortune...

Yeah and the majority of the world uses Hindu-Arabic numerals... What's your point?

I'm sure he probably took the million dollar space tour that the Russians offer to see it.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
half the worlds population go without access to clean drinking water, and people are allowed to waste millions on pointless things like this, absolutely insane.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Originally posted by Agarta
Just the other day I was saying, it is a shame we, modern man, have not made a monument to the scale of the ancients. It is too bad that when it is finally done it is out of the ego of one man.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

That is really no different than the Egyptian Pyramids though. Same thing done for the same reason.

That, my friend, is dependent upon whether the true purpose for the Pyramids was actually as a tomb OR if the original purpose was a power source and spiritual and astrological Temple.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
You are all just jealous that your pockets aren't as big and you didn't think of it first.

Ok seriously, I hope this doesn't catch on! Can you imagine the earth scattered with all the logos from major corps that want to make their mark and be seen from space and when will it stop. Next thing you know when you look up at the sky instead of a beautiful natural full moon you will see the letters BP.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join