It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is the sun doing!?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

That was a biggy, but not the largest recorded.

As I said, the 1859 Carrington Event was much, much bigger.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Great thread. You should post this in the 2012forum too.

Star.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The sun is in a period of intense activity. Sunspots, flares, filament strips, coronal holes, and CMEs will increase over the next year. This is just the beginning.

We have been lucky only getting glancing blows. It is only a matter of time before one of the blasts is line up directly with earth. When that happens we won't be simply loosing GPS and a few other luxuries for a short period as in the past.

There will be major disruption and damage to systems at a minimum..

I have an article on my blog showing up to date info and pix with links all in one place. I am not fishing for hits - it is a free site with no ads. You can click on my signature to check it out.
edit on 10-4-2011 by webworker because: fix fact

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by webworker

About the solar activity

Its true the sun is near solar maximum - but it has actually been rather "weak" then what it usually is in its cycle.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Anyone experiencing any effects from the CME and solar storm? Anyone loose GPS? Any amateur radio operators in HF?

Had a few satellite channels disrupted a bit here this afternoon.

Check in if you experience anything.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Moxiaty

I think solar maximum will be in 2013. This is just a preview!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

nice post.. do u know? last week in my country i took a pic of the sun... believe me it was red, almost 99% of times we cant see the sun... ill try to upload the pic i took, but it was red... and it can be easily seen... think it was kinda weird.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by bittiyo

Sounds like there may have been smoke or something similar in the air between you and the sun.

That often make it appear red.

Please do upload the pic if you can!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Yes, thats correct, solar maximum will be in 2013 - but it will be weaker than previous solar maximums. The suns activity has not been extreme during this cycle.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moxiaty

Yes, thats correct, solar maximum will be in 2013 - but it will be weaker than previous solar maximums. The suns activity has not been extreme during this cycle.

actually they are thinking its gonna be quiet of a tough ride..

i hope you are not still stuck with Morrison's testimony right??

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by bittiyo

nice post.. do u know? last week in my country i took a pic of the sun... believe me it was red, almost 99% of times we cant see the sun... ill try to upload the pic i took, but it was red... and it can be easily seen... think it was kinda weird.

Red sun! So what's the big deal? This photograph was taken in 2008 and the world hasn't ended yet!!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

y all the sarcasm in your post?

dont tell me you are trying to achieve credibility with that

he asked a question , did not mention any doom..you could have just told him that is is normal to happen thats all

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Actually it's predicted to be considerably less intense...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
hahaha..sry forgot to point out that..

its not the number of spots which is the most of concern..

the intensity of the spots that there are... + the breach in the magnetosphere = many scientists ringing bells

The Sun is waking up from a long quiet spell. In mid February it sent out the strongest flare for four years. Scientists were warning that the Earth should prepare for an intense electromagnetic storm that, in the worst case, could be a "global Katrina" costing the world economy $2,000bn.

Anastasia: Senior officials responsible for policy on solar storms, also known as space weather, in the USA, UK and Sweden urged more preparedness at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Washington.

"We have to take the issue of space weather seriously," said Sir John Beddington, a UK chief scientist. "The sun is coming out of a quiet period, and our vulnerability has increased since the last solar maximum about a decade ago."

A more extreme storm can shut down communications satellites for many hours - or even cause permanent damage to their components. On the ground, intense magnetic fluctuations can induce surges in power lines, leading to grid failures such as the one that blacked out the whole of Quebec in 1989.

The most intense solar storm on record, which ruined much of the world's newly installed telegraph network in 1859, took place during an otherwise weak cycle.

1859, took place during an otherwise weak cycle

Military and Space Review → The Sun burning point

Chad..you refer to 1859 cycle quiet a lot...i firmly believe you didnt know..this cycle and 1859's are quiet related..

geomagnetic storm of 1859, for instance, occurred during a solar cycle of about the same size we’re predicting for 2013

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Time will tell I suppose.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

time will tell what sorry?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

If we get a big solarstorm.

And what exactly it does to us.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

yes in fact..hope nothing...but..i am a bit stuck with the fact that humanity may have been warned by the 1859 event how vulnerable our technology is to such manifestations from our Sun..and i think that there is nothing we can do about it now..this aint no computer program you can patch...our technology's foundations are wrong...it was not electricity the way to go..do we really understand what this means?

that electricity may have not been the way to go...huh..that would be epic

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
another CME Earth bound....another Japan EQ...

and this is just the beginning

Earh Bound CME THread >>>

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
reply to post by OrionHunterX

y all the sarcasm in your post?

he asked a question , did not mention any doom..you could have just told him that is is normal to happen thats all

Ok! It's normal and happens all the time. Happy?

Why the dickens can't some see an attempt at humor amidst all the doom and gloom?

edit on 11-4-2011 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join