It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is WHITE history month?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminateme
reply to post by DevilJin

If it is black American History then why do I always see stickers of the African continent or African American this and that. I don't recall seeing Black American anything.

My grandparents were immigrant who came here legally from europe and they (both sets) assimilated to american lifestyle to include learning the language (i.e. English) and refused to speak their native tongue for they were in a new country. Yet I do not see a German or Polish history month or even a week, let alone any other nationality or color. I don't consider myself racist as I have freinds of many races and colors and get along with anyone who is sensable to reason with. however what is touted by SOME not all blacks and latinos (as these are the two who cry the most) or any other race is why we still have racism in this country and all over the world. Most if not all of the atrocities that are rehashed happened long before any of this generation were born. If you are so proud of your heritage move back to your ancestral home, there is nothing stopping anyone from leaving this country.

Is this country perfect? not by any means what-so-ever. I am a proud AMERICAN not a proud german/polish/american. I was born here and am glad for it.

There is a German-American Heritage Month, and a Polish-American Heritage Month. Even tho I am black, I enjoy celebrating the heritages of all Americans

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Ive always said black history is american history.
Its not separate because they were black. it should not be
celebrated in my opinion. But its kept in place to keep race
separation in peoples minds.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

Take your pick. Itallian, Irish, Spanish (yes, they're white).

You certainly don't think whites are all the same in as much as blacks are not? African American is one of many groups celebrated.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
How about world history celebrated every day of the year, instead of confined to one month?

Why can't people get over the 'I'm white, you're black' and vice versa, and start seeing each other as people?

link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Dude, newsflash, poor white people get treated like trash, the same as poor people in any race... Where do you think the term white trash came from? It was what uppity white folks called white folks on the "wrong side of the tracks".

link   
It's all about jealousy. The blacks think they got left out etc. Truth is, every race has been abused by another, it's the human experience. I am white and when I look at a black person I don't see someone to be feared or hated, but to be treated as I want to be treated. The goes for every race I know.

BUT....

I am not going to pretend to be blind that a person is Black, White, Hispanic, or Asian. No, because I believe in God, and I believe that God created the races to compliment each other as the whole of humanity. If we were all the same everywhere, the world for us would be boring and dull. Even in nature there are more than one kind of bird, or fish, or cat.

Unfortunately, the blacks in the USA feel left out and not compensated for the wrong done to them by their white slave masters, for which 150,000 other white people shed their blood to set them free from such abuse. So the separation continues to this day. It saddens me. I know Black, Asian, and Hispanic Christians, and in Christianity we don't call them anything other than family and love everyone the same as we do ourselves.

White history month ? Black history month ? How about human history month. Let's look at the human condition and learn from it.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
the 11 months after black history month

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

That sounds pretty racist to me.

Then you don't understand what the word racist means.

You think every white person had slaves? No, it was rich people that could afford such things.

If the poor White's did nothing to end slavery, then they are just as guilty. It's not like we're talking about going into the middle east halfway across the world, this is something happening in their backyards.

Most of us come from normal and even poor people. Our ancestors did not have slaves.

Did all the White people everywhere give you authority to speak for them all?
Who is most of us? Who are you speaking for? Our ancestors?

Again, your ancestors saw it and did nothing.

A lot of our ancestors immigrated here a long time after the genocide of the natives. That crap has nothing to do with most white people's history.

And a lot of your (again who are you speaking for?) ancestors DID come over before the genocide of the natives. You still live on Native America land if you live in America.

It's funny how the genocide of the Native's is "crap" to you.
Thanks for showing your true colors at the end.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Yes after reading some of this thread the term Black is quite vague. So now are we to be in the business of chromatologist's? I mean how close are you to being black, tan, yellow, red, beige, sandstone, ivory, buff, raw sienna, or burnt umbra?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
We should be a unified world of people celebrating life every month and treating strangers as we wish to be treated ourselves. We are only here together for a relatively short time before we 'color' the cosmos. Enjoy what you have when you have it while you have it.

Gooday.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
So when do I get to demand compensation from the Turks for overtaking Hungary, my ancestral home?

Since we're talking culture here, I want a Canadian-Hungarian month. I will settle for a week if a month is too long for some..

Seriously, this whole race thing just gets old after 100,000 years...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

We are all some shade of brown...Where the heck did the Meme come from that the whiter you are the better you are?anyway...Its got to be remembered that Britains working class carries 5% of west African Genes..When the slavery was banned in Britain.The Emancipated Slaves married into the working class.Which in the end creates "Hybrid vigour".

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You are lumping ALL white people in with the RICH white people. That is racist.

Well if you go by that logic, then we are all guilty of genocide this generation then aren't we? We don't do crap about our government sending our soldiers to the middle east to kill people. Since we haven't done anything, we are just as guilty. The war may be happenning in the middle east, but the orders are coming from our back yards. The people giving the orders live in our back yards.

I am speaking for a majority of white people, who are not rich, and were not born with a siver spoon in our mouths. Generations of us that worked in mines, as fisherman, as carpenters, as lumberjacks, as farmers, a lot of different professions passed down from father to son. None of them involved slavery. Again, what are people supposed to do? By that logic we should be storming walmarts and construction zones, to free the exploited illegal immigrants, making 50 bucks a day plus lunch off the books(that is NY prices). It is happening right under our noses, and the companies that do this are putting honest companies into bankruptcy.

You don't think genocide of native amreicans is crap? Well hell yeah I think it was crap! Do you think it was a good thing? And yes I think slavery was crap as well!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
hahah!! really White history month? I'm black and I say go for it! i don't care, I'll like I treat Black History Month, its just another month. Its Black history month woohoo! SO WHAT? do I get presents? nope.. Just a bunch of those commercials and stuff on BET, which I'd don't see because I no longer enjoy watching tv. I think it was just a way for the government to say "Our Bad for what your ancestors went through, you can share this month with Valentines Day" just like they give Native Americans reservations for the whole country they snagged from them. Neither of those are a good deal for those people who were there and suffered during it. But me, I don't care. Why? Because I wasn't there. We're all humans, the sooner we all realized that the sooner racism will die. I agree with the idea of turning it into Heritage Month, but the idea of White history month I won't mind.. other people will though, and it won't solve anything, only lead to more racism..

WAIT! One more thing! someone asked for a WET since theres a BET? The white equivalent to BET is CMT, duh..
Lets be honest. BET- Mostly black people watch it and are on it, theres a few other races in there but mostly black. CMT- Mostly white people watch it and are on it, BUT theres a few other races in there but mostly white. Big deal so what? Just because it says Black Entertainment Television, doesn't make it a requirement to black to watch it, heck you paid for it watch what you want! There's white people that watch BET and black people that like CMT, good we should be more like this small group of people and be more diverse.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Has nothing to do with being poor, it's the way certain people act that get them called trash.

Girls like Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton get called trashy all the time. They poor? No. They get called trash because of the way they carry themselves. Poor White people call other white people trash, it's not just something the rich say.

Try some facts next time, instead of your baseless assertions.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Byteman

Yeah and what happens to these rich "white trash" people when they are caught again and again breaking the law? A bit different from how a poor white folk would be treated committing the same crime don't you think?

I think that maybe you think I am a white guy lol. Well that is true, from late fall to early spring. The rest of the year my native american shows through more, and I become more brown from the sun. I am a mut really, my mothers side is mostly native american, my fathers side is acadian canadian(canadian version of cajun).
edit on Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:45:20 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

Please define WHITE for me, as in your thread title. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This type of thing is not very helpful. Nobody wins this argument. It's worse than a blurry UFO picture.

Nobody wins, sides are taken..........Please before somebody says something ignorant.

Too late, maybe next time. I would rather watch that Zorgon guy argue, he has game.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Exactly...
You are wise.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804

A better question in my mind would be why do we refer to people as African American, Black, Asian, Hispanic, Mexican etc. Why not just call them people? So yea me and my friend here were just wondering what that guys name was over there? Instead of So yea me and my friend were wondering what that black guys name was over there? See my point?

Now obviously there are times when things are different such as if you are conducting a criminal investigation, but seriously why do we constantly refer to people by there race? Why do we even have politically correct terms why is it even necessary?

There is no such thing as an African American. Black is a race, as is hispanic, asian, white, etc. Africans is a nationality. As is Mexicans, Americans, Europeans, Asians, etc.

And to answer your question, color is a descriptive resource. Hair color, skin color, clothing color, etc. When you motion in a group of peoples direction to point out someone it usually requires describing the most prominent feature, which most likely would be skin color depending on other members of said group.
edit on 13-2-2011 by ohioriver because: Add Content

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join