It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Australia and New Zealand - now it's Ireland and England in the wrong locations!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I've just been reading that extremely popular thread where increasing number of ATS members are beginning to claim a difference in their perception or recollection of where Australia and New Zealand are located geographically, relative to one another.

My immediate reaction was "you've gotta be kidding me", followed by "what prohibited substance are they on ?".
I mean, how ridiculous are their claims ? Everyone knows exactly where Australia and New Zealand are on the map !

Anyway, just out of curiousity, I pulled up an atlas and took a look and no surprise at all - they're both exactly where I left them

But whilst I had the atlas out, I thought I'd have a look around and refresh myself on what the world looks like.

And I almost had a stroke ... because right there in front of my eyes, Ireland was on the WRONG side of England !!! I couldn't believe it and thought to myself I must be imagining things because I have ALWAYS known that Ireland was located in the North Sea and not the Atlantic Ocean.

The reason I'm so certain is that back in High School, I had to do a research project on Ireland focusing especially on the ease with which Scandinavian invaders and later on settlers, were able to reach Ireland in pre-BC times. In fact, this was strongly reflected in the actual Irish language that owed much of it's structure to this Scandinavian influence. There was much eventual trade between Ireland and the Scandinavian countries purely and simply because of their easy access to each other directly across the North Sea.
I also remember how I liked the way the west coast of Ireland seemed to fit so well into the east coast of England, as if at one time they were just one land mass that had later separated and drifted apart.

And yet the maps were saying differently.

So what the hecks going on ? Is it just me or do others have similar recollections ?
I sure don't want to think I'm a loony-bin candidate or that early dementia is staring to set in

Here's the way that I remember Irelands location:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7e216432390a.jpg[/atsimg]

Thoughts anyone ?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Not only that, New England, that used to be located in the middle of Texas has moved as well.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by vita eternus

Thoughts anyone ?

Well, I’ll take it as a sort of ”ATS popular prank”, when I left the school 30 years ago the Ireland's location was on the west coast of the British Isle and as far as I know it is still there.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by amkia]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by vita eternus

Sure it's not just faulty recall? Because I've never seen a map with Ireland on that side of Great Britain before.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Sir,

Could it not have been at the tim of your research project in school, you were looking at the map upside down?

I genuinely wnat to know what is going on here, whether this is projected memories, or just delusions I do not know.

But please understand these islands just don't float around on the waters surface. they are formed by the crust and contours of the earths surface protruding sufficiently high enough above see level to create an area of land.

Should there have been an island in the north see between the UK and Denmark, surely it would not have taken the same form exactly! as we now see on the other side of the Irish and Celtic Sea.

not to mention that the Gaelic language bears no resemblence in it's word base to scandanavia / Tuetonic languages.

This bear more to welsh / cornish / scottish native languages. and not the Homogony that is Aenglisch (English)

Anyway, if this is what you belive so be it, but I would advise to think really hard if this is actually what you remember. and if it is then ask yourself why?

Anyway, nice graphic

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Maybe this IS just a practical joke.

It's really getting hard to tell what people belive is reality in this place.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by vita eternus

Thoughts anyone ?

Hmmm, it's not yet April 1st.

I can tell you for a fact that Ireland has always been on the Western side.

An upside down map seems to be the likely cause of this confusion.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by john124]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Hence the reason for the highy irish populations in port towns on the west of England and scotland.

They're ones who coul not swim back!!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
OMG! There are rainbows in sprinklers now!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
All right I'll bite.

What if for years TPTB have been feeding mis-information regarding maps. What if the text books were all wrong. Seems like I remember a post in the Australia/New Zealand thread saying something about a BBC show regarding American textbook maps being printed wrong. And they continued to circulate for 10 years despite the mis-prints. Well that might explain why you remember things wrong. They wanted you to. To question yourself, your sanity, your validity. And then as you question your validity so does everyone else around you. Especially if you are not the status quo and come out, knowing you will get flak, and say HEY WHAT'S GOING ON HERE!
Confusion, the master of destruction...
I mean it's genius really. Think about it, with all the information pouring like rain from every direction if your head is not spinning, I say you're simply not paying attention.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

An appropriate response to the sprinkler woman :

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4252fdf3791e.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I dare say this isn't a political discussion, but I'd assume the standards still apply, no?

Geez people...Either contribute or don't post. This is certainly not the way to nurture growth for anyone.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by recycled

I don't know what else you expect people to say about this thread. It's obviously intended as a bit of fun.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I've always remembered Ireland being to the west. Not that I'm an expert on geography...

What really amazes me is how big the New Zealand thread got.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think your thread is valid! I remember New Zealand to the West of Australia (so a different map- different timeline) but I always have known that Ireland was West of England.

So maybe- just mabye- there will be others that dont remember New Zealand being in a different locale will remember Ireland being to the East. Thus different timeline.

Very interesting! S+F

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Most Americans are so horrible at geography, they can't point to Canada on a map. It doesn't surprise me in the least they can't tell where New Zealand or Ireland are.

It's embarrassing really.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Ireland has been where it always been west of england in the atlantic ocean not on the east of england please stop this stupid thread its embarrsing to think that people belive this crap

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I heard a theory that St Patrick cast the snakes out of Ireland which was relayed to me by a Priest when I was younger.

I researched it and the reason there were no snakes is Ireland is because it had broken away from the land mass that currently comprises of Scotland, Wales and England has tectonic pressure let it drift off into the Atlantic ocean.

I suppose the same theory could hold true if it went to the East instead, but then it would've been connected to France for longer and had a stronger chase of infestation of vipers and grass snakes.

-m0r

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Can this get moved into the hoax Forum?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
Can this get moved into the hoax Forum?

My opinion is that you shouldn't discriminate in this case ... BOTH this thread and the ridiculous Oz / NZ thread should be consigned to the hoax forum ... and the Oz/NZ thread should have gone after just the 1st few pages !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join