It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space storm alert: 90 seconds from catastrophe

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

Except the last solar maximum was 2001. Did our dependence on technology suddenly jump in the last 8 years? Our power grids were similar, our water supplies and sewage treatment plants were similar, our phone banks were similar.

The power demand in any country doubles every ten years. That is the global average for all countries. So, if one region has a power demand of say 5 MW then after ten years, it is 10 MW.

So, as power demand increases, the load capacity of wires increases, making it ideal target for charged particles.

[edit on March 21st, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I think these articles are a good thing. There are so many people out there that really give no thought to what could happen during an extended outage. I think the article is up front and realistic, we would be so screwed here in the US if we loose power.

The one thing people don't think about is the ever necessary ATM machines. Don't have any cash when TSHTF, you are out of luck buddy no electricity no cash withdrawal. Modern people flip if the power goes out for an hour, there is little thought of how to survive by those not into this whole world we are aware of.

Frightening but true. If the people had taken precautions and repaired the levies in NO that tragedy could have been avoided at best and made less severe otherwise. How much more should we be safeguarding the electric grid? Oh, gee I forgot it is far more important to finance these busturds in the banking industry than to use the money to protect our future. Typical.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Thank you for scaring the crap out of me. But you then must consider that if we all die, well life ain't so bad. Sure it would suck to die especially if its in a way that allows you the knowledge that your children and theirs wont last long enough to prosper and endure and simply exist. I am though a firm believer that there are two amazing and mysterious events in any humans life. Those being the event of life being created and the event of life leaving the human vessel. At the end of the day I think death is surely death but just because you leave the stage as one character and re-enter as another doesn't mean your entirely dead, you just dont share the same name, perhaps I am uglier next time around? Perhaps I will be reborn in an age long ago where I am wealthier than I could ever imagine in this life/timeline, or in the future or who knows? I just refuse to accept that this is the last stop for any soul. With that I say let the world do as it will and accept it for the journey it is, into death, life, new ages of unforeseen advances of humanity or whatever else may be in store. Bring it!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
QUESTION: if we buried our wire network that delivers and supports our electric needs underground and such would that help at all? just curious and sorry if that sounds stupid as a question....

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Averysmallfoxx

It will help to some extent. Because, when you are burying cable's underground, you have some insulating cover over it to protect against moisture and such, and so it not readily exposed like the open grids, so, being underground offers lot of protection to the cables.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
NASA is run and staffed by Masons, and they all lie to protect each other and there Big Boss Hog El Presidente.
They all bend over and do as they are told, like good hornay little disciple's.
But clearly, 2012 is still just another year, that stuff might happen, or it might not.

Holy Sh!t batman! Do you mean to tell me that if I go to NASA with my masonic ring on, I can gain access to all the hidden goodies? And to think I was going to go the FOI route.

You......wouldn't by chance have any kind of........proof.......nevermind. I think folks here are pretty linient on the providing proof for outlandish claims that make you seem, I don't know,crazy.

Cary on with the world is ending discussion. I have to go and meet with the "Higher levels" to decide what date we are going to fire up the furnace on the sun.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Hands up who's read the article? I reckon around five members who've replied.

For those who didn't get past the first reference to 2012 and for those who just didn't understand the rest. The author has used '2012' as a McGuffin, a journalistic device from which to hang the article from. The article is about a report by National Academy of Sciences (NAS) *not* NASA. The NAS were funded by NASA for research leading to the report.

Michael Brooks (author) uses 2012 because it's the next peak of solar activity. It makes the article relevant and topical. The article discusses the 'worst case scenario' that the NAS report highlights. This is the *possibility* that a severe solar storm could knock out the electrics systems of the Earth-side facing the Sun during massive coronal discharge. The report is in the abstract, the article makes it more subjective by raising the possibility of 2012.

Somehow, fertile imaginations have interpreted from these facts that Hollywood is secretly trying to warn us that someone has seen the future and knows about the solar flare event. That NASA and Russia are in cahoots to bring on the NWO and that it all happens in 2012. All this because the the magical '2012' appeared in a first paragraph
It's ridiculous beyond words and those that believe in it are utterly unable to see why it's ridiculous in the first place

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
There appears to an elevation in doomsaying in this and other forums. The saddest and probably most disturbing aspect is that these people tend to get furious and froth at the mouth when you try to suggest that everything's ok on planet Earth and we aren't all going to die.

In a recent 'chicken little' thread, a doomsaying member even had the cheek to accuse all the people who claimed that the sky wasn't falling of being a negative influence in the thread.

For some reason positive and cheerful news makes them miserable. Go figure!

IRM

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
AHH so my question wasn't so dumb after all...god to know. Let me start by saying I DID read the whole article and secondly that whether the possibility of this coronal discharge is very high or low it still has a very real possibility for happening and no amount of scoffing the least likely scenario or the most likely scenario will change the possibility of it occurring. It is an unknown factor and will continue to be until such time as a positive identification of the state of the sun's surface during the time in question can be verified as one way or the other and even then there is that great possibility for human error or just simply the natural order of things which is entirely (at times) unpredictable....I think covering all the bases of awareness (and for those more concerned) preparation is never bad. The Government or military or whoever runs the underground bases being established and those that have been already seem to think that preparation is important so shouldn't we?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
There appears to an elevation in doomsaying in this and other forums. The saddest and probably most disturbing aspect is that these people tend to get furious and froth at the mouth when you try to suggest that everything's ok on planet Earth and we aren't all going to die.

In a recent 'chicken little' thread, a doomsaying member even had the cheek to accuse all the people who claimed that the sky wasn't falling of being a negative influence in the thread.

For some reason positive and cheerful news makes them miserable. Go figure!

IRM

That is quite unfortunate. I happened to believe that the mind generates exactly what it chooses to believe in reality so the culmination of X amount of pessimists or optimists with an understanding of the power of belief/mind/meditation one way or another is very essential to the realiztation of one's personal reality....

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Averysmallfoxx

If all these mass intention experiments proved to be true, then we are all doomed because it's been wished upon us by millions of fear mongers.

It would be an ironic twist of fate that the doomsayers themselves caused the event.

IRM

[edit on 21/3/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by XIZTENZ

To the OP.....'90 seconds from catastrophe'????

Just in case no one else noted this, do some math.....get your calculators out...

Distance from the Sun to the Earth: 96,000,000 miles

Speed of light: 186,000 miles per second

Simple math.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Tentickles.....no need to be afraid of flying, just because of the electronics onboard!!!

That is why we have human pilots....and back-ups for the back-ups, in terms of controllability.

A thread such as this.....I blame wholeheardedtly on Hollywood.

Now, before I get into trouble, allow me to explain: I have read hundreds of Science Fiction books, I grew up on it. I made it a point to be able to strip out the fantasy from the reality, whilst keeping the 'potential' of science forefront in my mind.

There is a subset of Science Fiction called 'hard' Science Fiction....that is, the stories were based on the latest and greatest, in its day, understanding of science. Sir Arthur C. Clarke's "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a prime and well-known example.

Also, I say that National Geographic and other Science channels on TV are great sources of information.

Back to my point: Hollywood depictions of natural disasters, such as a planet exploding, are, by definition, inaccurate....because an audience is not going to sit there and wait the several hours it will take for a planet to explode, even if it could happen....

I know I have strayed, but to the topic....Tentickles, you can feel safe to fly. The worst thing that could fry electronics would be an EMP from a nuclear blast....and, in that case, you have more worries anyway.

A Solar flare, as happens in the Sun's approximately 11-year cycle, will be, as usual, mildly annoying. The Earth's magnetosphere helps a bit, as it deflects much of the energy and particles. IF you live near a pole....North or South....it may be possible to see an impressive Aurora, during the events. (since more people live in the North, they are referred to as the 'Northern Lights')

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

The Carrington Event

In September of 1859, the entire Earth was engulfed in a gigantic cloud of seething gas, and a blood-red aurora erupted across the planet from the poles to the tropics. Around the world, telegraph systems crashed, machines burst into flames, and electric shocks rendered operators unconscious. Compasses and other sensitive instruments reeled as if struck by a massive magnetic fist. For the first time, people began to suspect that the Earth was not isolated from the rest of the universe. However, nobody knew what could have released such strange forces upon the Earth–nobody, that is, except the amateur English astronomer Richard Carrington.

Source : The Sun Kings ( Clark:2007 )

The Largest Magnetic Storm on Record
The 'Carrington Event' of August 27th to September 7th, 1859 Recorded at Kew Observatory, London

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/80cda4bf5624.jpg[/atsimg]
Declination, or compass direction, (D) is the lower trace on each image and the horizontal force (H) is the upper trace. Universal Time is the time recorded here (astronomical) plus 12 hours and measured D precedes H by approximately 12 hours. For reference the marked ‘solar flare effect’, beginning at 23:15 recorded time on August 31st, is at 11:15 Universal Time on September 1st. It has been measured as 110 nT in H and 0.283 degrees in D.

Source : British Geological Survey

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kingdogol

i totaly misplaced my post some how....???? cannot find the first quote anymore...pls help!!!replace....thx in advance....

As 2012 is the third (another one of their numbers) olar maximus year and there isn't going to be any again for another while, they already have it in motion.
1990 - Bush Snr NWO speech
11 year gap
2001 - 9-11
11 year gap

thats interesting the number 11

On 21 Dec 2012, 11:11 AM Universal Time (also known as Zero Time Point), our Sun and our planet will be at perfect alignment with the Galactic center.

www.projectavalon.net...

look the date

""21-12-2012""

=(add up) 2+1+1+2+2+0+1+2= 11 (1+1=2) 11 remember..(*)

=(minus) .............2112-2012=100+11= 111 or ..3(1+1+1=3)?

=(add up) ............2112+2011=4124=4+1+2+4= 11(1+1=2)?

=(2112/2012) 21=3 12=3 20=2 12=3 3+3+2+3=11 (1+1=2)?
===================322 = skull and bones============

..............................2x3=6.............................

6 = ................. (1990 - Bush Snr NWO speech ).= 322 FACT...............??

now look at the time

.. "On (*) 11:11 AM.."

Let's put it together like the date

or On 11 11:11 =6(^) (1+1+...= 6)

add up 11=2 11=2 11=2 (2+2+2= 6)
11x11x11= 1331
1331 backwards same number.
1331=(1x3=3/3x1=3=6)

................................11(*)x6(^)=66..........................

66= ..................................( 2001 . 9/11) ??..........................................

so 6 (1990 - Bush Snr NWO speech ). AND 66= ( 2001 . 9/11)

=

6=1990 Bush Snr NWO speech
+ 11years =

66 = ( 2001 . 9/11)
+11 years
=

21-12-2012 at 11:11

Meaning
21 =3 --12=3--20=2--12=3
(------3--------3--------------3 X 2 = 666 at 11.11

On 21 Dec 2012, 11:11 AM Universal Time (also known as Zero Time Point),

or does it say 666,at 11.11 =zero time... 666 being NEW WORLD ORDER

or the 11 11:11=11-11 11-11 11-11 =000..mening zero time??

zero time for what?? to get away from planet X and the NWO knows..

is it a countdown..??? 12-21-2012
for the NWO the be fully in place????

it is not waterproof but the numbers never lie ...

[edit on 21-3-2009 by whatshenneping]

[edit on 21-3-2009 by whatshenneping]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

visible/villian....wasn't there a massive volcanic eruption around that time....I'm thinking Krakatoa, perhaps??

I'll look it up.

Is the other clip you posted a version of an early seimograph???

Of course, versions of massive exposions and machines catching on fire...couldn't be a bit of exaggerration, could it????

EDIT....Krakatoa (or Krakatao) was in 1883.

I think I saw a link to a possible volcanic eruption in 1859, still looking....

[edit on 3/21/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

visible/villian....wasn't there a massive volcanic eruption around that time....I'm thinking Krakatoa, perhaps??

Well, the only thing that comes to mind ( without really looking into it ) is that the American Civil War began a few months after this, if I am not mistaken ...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
You know, so far as I can see, the only one with the proper attitude in this thread thus far, has really been phoenix13.

Seems to me his basic mindset is, something may or may not happen. People may or may not have a contingency for when it does (because he is right, that just because nothing HAS happened with measurable results to our eyes, doesn't mean it won't and clearly eventually a star will act like a star and so, it will).

And the discussion really ends there.

But phoenix, you know in reality, what we see here is almost identical to what we see in almost everything AND (most recently) in our own economy. How does that factor in? In mindset. The extremism of the majority in this thread.

Extreme A = NO WAY! NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.

Extreme B = OMG 2012 EVERYTHING IS GONNA HAPPEN!

Our Economy A = NO WAY! OUR ECONOMY WILL RISE FOREVER, INVEST!

Our Economy B = ECONOMIC MELTDOWN!

Somewhere right in the middle, is the answer to both I would think.

AB1

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

v_v....

Ermmm.....I know it's a mistake to be baited, but.....the Civil War in the USA is not really relevant....to an event in 1859.

AND....since this is imagining some sort of terrible 'thing' coming from the SUN....which, does, after all, have an apparent eleven-year cycle.....well, Humans have lived on Earth for 100s of thousands of years. As has many, many, many other lifeforms.

There is no indication, as of yet, that entire species have been wiped out every 11 years.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The Carrington Event was 'measured' at 110 nT. But the meters went 'off scale', so we don't really know know how high the field strength went.

Here is an example of 'typical' daily variation at a 'far northern lattitude' monitoring station, where the field strength commonly reaches 300 nT ...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/acfd216b8f77.jpg[/atsimg]
Source : Canadian Geomagnetic Realtime Survey

[edit on 21-3-2009 by visible_villain]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join