It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space storm alert: 90 seconds from catastrophe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Space storm alert: 90 seconds from catastrophe

www.newscientist.com

"It sounds ridiculous. Surely the sun couldn't create so profound a disaster on Earth. Yet an extraordinary report funded by NASA and issued by the US National Academy of Sciences (NAS) in January this year claims it could do just that!"

NewScientist magazine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Your going to be pretty pissed off when nothing happens.

Now go away and waste your time preparing for an event that isn't going to happen.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This is has been along the lines of what I think the "2012" event is.

Not much we can do when the SUN comes a knock'n!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by XIZTENZ

You know I was thinking to myself....hmm this is interesting!

Then I seen your second post

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by XIZTENZ

"NASA has confirmed 2012, this is a credible source, and there is no aliens or monsters. This is part of the sun's natural cycle which will revert us back to the ice age. ..."

That is debatable, whether or not NASA is a credible source. They have been known to do some strange things, just ask Richard Hoagland.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Yet an extraordinary report funded by NASA and issued by the US National Academy of Sciences (NAS) in January this year claims it could do just that.

COULD!
DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THE WORD, COULD!!
The whole solar system could implode on itself!
A safe could fall out of an airplane, and land on your head!
COULD COULD COULD COULD.
All that article speaks about, is the effects of a solar storm, on electricity grids.
Stop telling lies!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
All NASA has confirmed is that we're back at solar maximum in 2012. The last solar maximum was 2001, and absolutely nothing happened. I agree with the poster that says you're going to be seriously disappointed when nothing happens.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
NASA is simply confirming that the Sun is a star, that the Sun can do things that other stars do, that the Sun is but a star.

I dont trust NASA any more than I would trust a thief, but no one needs NASA to tell us that the Sun is s star, and that stars are very unpredictable things in nature...which means...our star is an unpredictable element that is a part of nature.

As to 2012...whats the big deal? Thats just another year. But if it makes one feel better, stock up on 2 million UV sunblock now.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by XIZTENZ

Listen, put down the pixie stick and step away from the fun packs! Calm down and listen to what people are saying rather then attack them with spaghetti monsters.

Your initial post is decently informative and promotes a good debate but you ruin it by then attacking groups of people who think differently then you do.

Could this happen in 2012? yep. Could this happen tomorrow? From what I have read, yep.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
To be honest what ever happens in 2012 and whom ever gets burned its the same o same. Nothing more to do than to stand together(that is what they hate) and just be a part of it and a part of history.

Always face your enemy, even the sun with your head held straight and a clear conscience.

Best regards.

Loke.

Ps.

You only die once........

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by XIZTENZ

It sounds ridiculous. Surely the sun couldn't create so profound a disaster on Earth. Yet an extraordinary report funded by NASA and issued by the US National Academy of Sciences (NAS) in January this year claims it could do just that.

The most serious space weather event in history happened in 1859. It is known as the Carrington event, after the British amateur astronomer Richard Carrington, who was the first to note its cause: "two patches of intensely bright and white light" emanating from a large group of sunspots. The Carrington event comprised eight days of severe space weather.

We've been through literally hundreds of solar minimums and maximums. The only difference with this one is so many people are freaked out about something horrible in 2012.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Zaphod, the difference about this one is.
Our heavy reliance on technology and digital systems and electricity to power them.
We have never been this reliant on it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

Except the last solar maximum was 2001. Did our dependence on technology suddenly jump in the last 8 years? Our power grids were similar, our water supplies and sewage treatment plants were similar, our phone banks were similar.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by XIZTENZ
This is part of the sun's natural cycle which will revert us back to the ice age.

I didn't read anything in the article about an ice age occurring. How is your statement any more accurate than 'spiritual beings', 'ascension' or 'spaghetti monsters'? Actually, I didn't see any refutation of any of those in the article either, come to think of it.

This is also nothing new. Talk of a massive solar storm wiping out our power grid has been talked about, at least within range of my ears and eyes, for quite a while now. Like others have said, just because solar activity peaks in 2012 doesn't mean that's when it happens. Actually the article you posted claims that the Corrington(sp?) Event happened at a time of relatively low solar activity.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

Except the last solar maximum was 2001. Did our dependence on technology suddenly jump in the last 8 years? Our power grids were similar, our water supplies and sewage treatment plants were similar, our phone banks were similar.

Its not that we had one in 2001.
We have had more than that.
But this coming maximum is going to be the strongest since 1958.
Based on research by Mausumi Dikpati of the National Center for Atmospheric Research.
science.nasa.gov...
In 1958, we were not as reliant on electronics and digital systems.
A strong solar maximum, like the one in 1958, could cause problems.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
While the OP's attitude is a little abrasive, Im really surprised by the negativity this thread is receiving. This is a far more likely event than any of the cooked up Climate Change garbage. In fact, it goes hand in hand with what is really going on with the climate...and that, I think, is why no one likes to talk about it. Solar weather has a lot to do with a lot of things on Earth, including some things that the money-grubbers and avid worshipers of anthropogenic climate change do not want to address.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
All NASA has confirmed is that we're back at solar maximum in 2012. The last solar maximum was 2001, and absolutely nothing happened. I agree with the poster that says you're going to be seriously disappointed when nothing happens.

Sorry I know I'm joing in late, but do you recall 9-11 sir? when was that?
and then 1 years before that was exactly when Bush Snr made the NWO speech, whatever happens in (I say June of 2012) will not be from a natural event, if you understood these guys' language you would see that they know what many do not and understand time in way tha i snot taught to you......

So sure Obama will be nice for the next 3.5 years and then all hell will break loose, before December 2012, that is purely the date of transition for all, light or darkness, whatever it be. They want ot destroy the world and the people before this day comes to be, then everyone would so called 'be dark' according to PTB.

Man I could write everything here and explain and teach you, unfortunately I do NOT have the time.....

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
reply to post by XIZTENZ

"NASA has confirmed 2012, this is a credible source, and there is no aliens or monsters. This is part of the sun's natural cycle which will revert us back to the ice age."

That is debatable, whether or not NASA is a credible source. They have been known to do some strange things, just ask Richard Hoagland.

Aren't we in an ice age right now?
en.wikipedia.org...

And for those who think this might be too outlandish or silly to be believed. There are alot you guys aren't taking into account. The weakening of earth's magnetic field, the fact that we are thousands of years overdue for a magnetic pole shift, the weakening of solar activity over the past few months alone, and the ever-weakening heliosphere that protects our solar system from interstellar radation (which we can't stop). Just about any one of these continues to degrade and the ability of the earth to sustain any life at all comes crashing down like a house of cards. It could happen now if you want to get technical.

-ChriS

[edit on 20-3-2009 by BlasteR]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join