It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 475
<< 472  473  474    476  477  478 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
The scary thing is imo theres VEI8 Volcanoes across the world, not JUST Yellowstone.
Campi Flegri where soon Scientists will be drilling deep into the crust for samples (as if that wasnt worrying enough.) Theres also dormant VEI8 Caldera's now being found in Scotland at Glen Coe and Loch Ness where Fumarole activity is being recorded beneath the loch.
Rome is built upon a Caldera not to mention Toba, Caldera's in Argentina, Russia and Japan. Many more than already the documented 7 pre 52,000-year documented eruption Caldera's that we already know of.

i thought that that one in scotland was extint .

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
The scary thing is imo theres VEI8 Volcanoes across the world, not JUST Yellowstone.
Theres also dormant VEI8 Caldera's now being found in Scotland at Glen Coe and Loch Ness where Fumarole activity is being recorded beneath the loch.

ARe you sure???? Damn just checking the web AND MY GOD YOU ARE RIGHT.....
www.lochness.co.uk...

How come these vents havent been found before the loch has been extensively searched using sonar, robotic subs etc looking for the monster. None of the vents have ever been found if this is true and these fumaroles are recent then howcome the media is quite and is this the one thats going to go boom soon?
Hmmmm time to migrate i think...........

AAAH NVM all is well THERE IS NO SUPER VOLCANObelow loch ness
found this on the scottish website regarding nessie

One site that presents several (tongue-in-cheek) articles about the Loch is the Loch Ness Internet Exhibition. A site which pokes a little fun at the so called "experts" and their theories!

ITS not real folks just people making stories heres is the original source of the above link
www.lochness.co.uk...
Dont take the scottish volcano serious its not real....

[edit on 7-12-2009 by loner007]

[edit on 7-12-2009 by loner007]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by loner007

Oh my good God ... I too thought the Scottish volcanoes were extinct.

This will certainly be something worth watching as the research continues.

Woody

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
upon my internet travels to YS i found this tid bit of information that we can ponder our brains on if we so like

www.latimes.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Thanks for that Alysha. I have to say however that the suppositions in the article are at best erroneous and at worst sensationalist. Take for example the statement:

Increasing hurricane frequency and intensity is destroying the Everglades in Florida.

It has been pointed out many times in the informed press that hurricane frequency is not increasing.

wattsupwiththat.com...

The mere fact that the writer starts, or rather entitles his piece

The national park's virtually intact ecosystem, where the hand of man remains light, is a natural place for scientists to study the biological effects of global warming.

and labels the picture

Spasm Geyser is one of hundreds at Yellowstone -- including Old Faithful -- that may be affected by global warming.

is an indicator of his uninformed state since it has been long accepted by the informed that global warming (if it exists) is natural (but not helped any by mankind) and it has been changed to climate change (which to be fair he does state later in the article.)

This thread however is not the place to get into a debate about climate change!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

What causes climate change?
Volcanoes definately cause climate change. 70 000 years ago, Toba nearly wiped humans from the planet. This climate crisis reduced the human population to a mere 10 thousand or so. The fact is, we are more closely related than we realize. Brothers. Sisters. Toba wiped the forests off India.

news.discovery.com...

Volcanoes also had their part to play in the extinction of the dinosaurs. Volcanoes caused the climate to change. Sediments in the ocean show that they were made stagnant and oxygen deprived. The oceans were choked by hydrogen sulfide.

www.cbc.ca...

Did dinosaurs shape their enviroment which in turn affected the climate? You bet. A herd of dinos would basically clear cut a forest in no time. And with that, many giant stomachs, there would be lots of farts and belching, and tons and tons of methane and CO2. Which warms the climate. Which melts glaciers. Which increases vulcanism.

Do humans cause climate change?

Start a thread and I'll debate you politely. Respectfully. How I wish the whole world could debate this rationally. I believe in the bubbles in the glaciers.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by Robin Marks]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

thanks ,

ill keep my eyes and ears open .

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Woa! Hold your horses Robin.

I was not saying that there is not climate change, just that it would appear not to be 'warming', and it would also appear that humans have very little to do with it.

About 2% of the CO2 is produced by humans, and let us not forget that CO2 is less than one tenth of a percent of the composition of the atmosphere. 365 ppm, or what ever the current figure is, is nothing compared to 10,000 ppm in a crowded theatre! CO2 is not poisonous and encourages plants to grow. Yellowstone is doing its bit to help!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Like I said, start another thread and we'll discuss climate change in a respectful manner. I am open to contrarian views.

But I will responded to one of your claims. I too, was like you and thought that CO2 will just make plants grow faster and bigger. As a farmer and gardener, I thought what's the big deal, the plants will take up all the CO2 and we'll have bumper crops. The problem is that once you raise the level of CO2, the plants grow faster and bigger, but they are not as green and they are weaker. A study done in a Georgia forest showed that the CO2 enhancement grew plants that were not healthy and prone to disease.

Current levels of CO2 in ppm does seem like a lot. But it's the highest level in the last 800 000 years, and the rate of increase may be the fastest in millions of years. Volcanoes emit CO2, but the emmisions are dirter which actually helps to reflect sunlight back into space. China's dirty coal has actually help to keep the planet cool over the last decade. If the clean the emmissions, then the warming will resume it's steady increase.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Ditto on the YS volcano having much to do with climate change. The primary risk right now though, is methane, not CO2. www.sciencedaily.com...

Respectfully submitted.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Sorry I should have thought of this tread when I posted this:

Yellowstone's Plumbing Reveals Plume of Hot and Molten Rock 410 Miles Deep

Enjoy

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
www.sltrib.com...

i knows its been posted before but what heck why not .

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Just to let ya know, they just had a 3.5 in Nebraska

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Detailed seismic images shows the magma plume under Yelllowstone is larger and deeper than thought.

esciencenews.com...

Yellowstone's plumbing exposed

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The above article summarizes a recent study by Robert B. Smith, research professor and professor emeritus of geophysics at the University of Utah and coordinating scientist for the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory.

The banana-shaped magma chamber of hot and molten rock a few miles beneath Yellowstone is 20 percent larger than previously believed, so a future cataclysmic eruption could be even larger than thought.

The study suggests that the Yellowstone hot spot triggered the Columbia River "flood basalts" that buried parts of Oregon, Washington state and Idaho with lava 17 million years ago.

For any of you who have driven down the Columbia River valley it is quite an shock to see a bleak lava landscape when one is expecting an area of lush vegetation. The remains of the lava flow are visible everywhere for hundreds of miles.

The article also says the Yellowstone supervolcano shows a plume of hot and molten rock rising at an angle from the northwest at a depth of at least 410 miles, contradicting claims that there is no deep plume, only shallow hot rock moving like slowly boiling soup.

Smith says he would not be surprised if the plume extends down even deeper, perhaps originating from the core-mantle boundary some 1,800 miles deep. Other researchers suggest it goes down at least 620 miles. The Hawaiian hotspot – which created the Hawaiian Islands – is fed by a plume that extends downward at least 930 miles.

Smith estimates the Yellowstone plume is mostly hot rock, with 1 percent to 2 percent molten rock in sponge-like voids within the hot rock.

Since 2004, the Yellowstone caldera floor has risen 3 inches per year.

Smith's study reinforces the view that the hot and partly molten rock feeding volcanic and geothermal activity at Yellowstone isn't vertical, but has three components:

* The 45-mile-wide plume that rises through Earth's upper mantle from at least 410 miles beneath the surface. The plume angles upward to the east-southeast until it reaches the colder rock of the North American crustal plate, and flattens out like a 300-mile-wide pancake about 50 miles beneath Yellowstone. The plume includes several wider "blobs" at depths of 355 miles, 310 miles and 265 miles.

"This conduit is not one tube of constant thickness," says Smith. "It varies in width at various depths, and we call those things blobs."

* A little-understood zone, between 50 miles and 10 miles deep, in which blobs of hot and partly molten rock break off of the flattened top of the plume and slowly rise to feed the magma reservoir directly beneath Yellowstone National Park.

* A magma reservoir 3.7 miles to 10 miles beneath the Yellowstone caldera. The reservoir is mostly sponge-like hot rock with spaces filled with molten rock.

"It looks like it's up to 8 percent or 15 percent melt," says Smith. "That's a lot."

Researchers previously believed the magma chamber measured roughly 6 to 15 miles from southeast to northwest, and 20 or 25 miles from southwest to northeast, but new measurements indicate the reservoir extends at least another 13 miles outside the caldera's northeast boundary.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by manotick]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I am watching this show today on the Science channel.

When Yellowstone Erupts

science.discovery.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
yay yay yay its about time folks

YS is getting a nice upgrade over the next two years

billingsgazette.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Apologies for this off topic comment - we must end this now.

Commercial growers increase the CO2 component to 550 ppm and it greatly encourages growth. Believe me commercial growers would not spend money on that if it was not of benefit to them.

The Carboniferous period started off with high CO2 (1500ppm) and towards the end declined to a similar state today. This was the great coal forming age and plants grew abundantly.

www.geocraft.com...

<< 472  473  474    476  477  478 >>

join