It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 467
<< 464  465  466    468  469  470 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
By the way, some local light earthquake activity is occurring near YMR seismic station and is visible on nearby ones too. Earthquakes are probably in the 2.0-2.5 Richter magnitude range (of course I'm not referring to the calibration signals occurred between 00:00 and 00:15 MST).

[edit on 2009/7/7 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
what are you sum kind a quack. i just looked at usgs it shows 9 over a period of a week! nothin to see here!

Not wishing to be rude, but I am having a problem placing your comment above in context.

9 what over a period of which week?

Perhaps if you had done a reply too we might be in a position to judge your observation.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I saw a bit of Giantess on the web cam pretty cool.

But has anyone noticed that UoU is very slow in updating quakes from the weekend. I mean they are going darned slow about the Utah quakes for some reason, I only got 3 quake notices for Utah yesterday and another few today for the 4th of July and that's pretty slow for even UoU.

M.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

Mosh,

There are millions of people who frequent and visit the park at any time. Quakes that are felt are registered almost immediately. There is no cover up going on, unless you consider millions of domestic and foreign guests all part of the cover up.

Micro quakes must be evaluated. All the geyser activity, hot springs, animals, etc are not just in particular places in the park. Hot springs, Geysers, Mud Pots, Fumeroles are everywhere and not just at Old Faithful. As such there are thousands of hydrothermal events that can cause ground movement at any time. Any area of the park can spring up a new hot spring, geyser, mudpot or fumerole, in days, weeks, years, or decades.

Familiarity with the area must be known. For example, the Carnegie drill hole area in Norris pulses up and down 2-3 inches constantly and registers as a continuing earthquake. Unless you know that, it would be impossible to tell what is going on and most armchair geologists would scream to high heaven saying Norris is about to explode.

Animal life is the same. Herds of buffalo weighing in excess of 1 ton literally shake the ground as they move on the road next to you. You can even hear them moving from a mile away if you put your ear to the ground and if they stampede, you can feel it.

With that said, I honestly wouldn't take any credence into microquakes there about activity. Simply put the vast majority of that >2.5 movement can be attributed to non geologic forces and would not show up on the website and those that do need to be evaluated on signal strength and local terrain. Is that questionable 2.5 quake really a quake, or is it a herd of buffalo 1000 strong that is known to frequent the area?

The real danger is Hydrothermal explosions such as those that formed West Thumb, Mary Bay, Heart Lake, and other large depressions in the park. Thousands of them dot the landscape, some small, others with power equivalent to atomic bombs dropped on Japan when they exploded. Even those events would not be a significant signal of eruptive potential. Superheated water trapped with no escape becomes a pressure cooker on a lengthy time scale. When finally released, it can be very explosive.

Yellowstone is a dynamic and ever changing system, never the same from one day to the next. It is one of the few areas of the world in which you can sit on top of a living breathing volcano and see those changes first hand.

There really is no conspiracy.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I've said all I've had to say out here and I mean it. I've given you great insight which was ignored by layman and scientist alike. I've been lurking occasionally. I've even gone days without checking the webicorder. It's been a relief. This morning I looked at my favorite LWKY and notice some very small shocks. Just awhile later there was a 2.7 in the vicintiy of the Dec/Jan swarm in Yellowstone Lake.

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water."

Yellowstone is not a plume. It's magma comes from the regional tectonic pressures. Hebgen Lake has been experiencing swarms. And has several area within the caldrea. This is all normal for an active volcano. A volcano which could erupt. "Yes, Yellowstone is a Volcano!" That's what's happening at Yellowstone. It's in it's long process of eruption cycles. The Dec/Jan was different because it was located within the caldera, unlike the past decades of swarms. And it migrated. It was different because it was under the lake and along no known fault. (I believe it was the Huckleberry fault) All this is not normal. It's always dynamic, and at anytime processes could cascade and undermines it's stabilty. The threat for an eruption at Yellowstone is understated and ignored by the National Park and the YVO and the Federal Goverment. I don't care if you think I'm an alarmist or a kook. The facts are there. It's a volcano and volcanoes erupt. And no one has ever witnessed or recorded the process of a so called super eruption. There may be no unusual gas emissions. There may be no massive ground deformation. No one knows. At this time I will not say when it will erupt. But I will say that we are completely and utterly unprepared if it does. And that's a fact. And you can't argue with this one truth. So keep sleeping. You all are.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
By looking at the webicorder it looks like there have been at least 5 very small foreshocks in the lake area before the 2.7 magnitude earthquake, which haven't been added to the official lists yet. It doesn't look like it will be picking up like in December/January, though.

By the way, for some reason I can't access US.LKWY data through GEE, even though its data appears to be updated and available, at least to the UoU website.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
hmm 2.7 on familiare place and some around them...
heading for a cresendo???

YML is wild now.....perhaps the magma chamber is filling up??? regarding the spreads of the quack's

[edit on 8-7-2009 by ressiv]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Nothing else happened after the 2.7, and, I've checked personally seismic data, the thick lines after that appear to be simply wind, of which Yellowstone park is often subject to.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yellowstone Park is home to a Super Volcano that has the potential to blow the USA into two distinct pieces.
www.abc.net.au...

Any serious Earthquakes above 5.0 aren't really to be taken lightly.

If scientists could measure the ramifications of the environmental impact it would probably shove the Earth into a Day Beyond Tomorrow scenario.
( Forget Global Warming) Global Ice Age.

thestateofamerica.wordpress.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Sorry for not posting sooner as it has been a couple of months since my trip to Yellowstone.

I took around 3400 pictures, all over 15mb each.

After some sorting, and resizing for upload to my server, I think I have a select few that may interest person's in this thread.

I tried to hit all the spots, kept a lookout for anomolies or unique things, even got ushered off the "Governement Facility" where the monitoring stations are. I guess they didnt want too many pictures taken.

Anyway, here are the links to the resized images, the 15mb versions are available, but I couldnt facilitate them online.

Some area's seemed drier than normal as far as activity goes, and some seemed more active, compared to two years ago.

In this picture of the Upper Falls, I noticed something I hadnt seen before...
www.ignorancedenied.com...
Looking at the bottom of the picture, a steam fissure can be seen...

This area seemed about as active as I remember it from last time,...

And some area's seemed hotter than normal,.. This one is boiling

This one looks recently dried out,...

Some more activity,...

Now this is where it gets interesting,... 2 years ago,... Mammoth Hot Springs,..
And this year,...COMPLETELY DRY !!...

This picture is of the Magma Dome in the center of the Caldera Crater, vegetation is green and ample, implying no excessive heat.

I have hundreds of images uploaded to IgnoranceDenied, so feel free to browse them, and let me know if you want me to sort thru and upload more. Granted many of them are just vacation pictures, I tried to get as many relevent vantage points as possible.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by smirkley]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
stilll YML is very active....are there visible chances at mary lake ????

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
stilll YML is very active....are there visible chances at mary lake ????

If you mean Mary Bay, no, I dont think I have any pictures of that area.

Yellowstone Lake was partially laden with floating ice in the southern half, and the water was cold at every point I was near it enough to find out.

We did stay at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel cabins for three nights, and never once felt any tremors at all. My luck lol.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by smirkley]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Ok I've read a bunch on Yellowstone and geology and volcanism to better understand what's going on. The best info I'm seeing is that across the planet the volcanoes that geologists are able to predict eruptions for are those with instruments on them.

Those seem to be the ones where warnings are given and people are evacuated before an eruption. Yellowstone seems to have a fair number of instruments so I think the geologists will let everyone know when an eruption is brewing.

What's with that guy above who's selling the conspiracy malarky?

Why?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The ranger had Boo Boo locked up in the basement at Jellystone and hes trying some blasting to get out.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
" I've given you great insight which was ignored by layman and scientist alike. I've been lurking - and notice some very small shocks.

"Yellowstone is not a plume. It's magma comes from the regional tectonic pressures."

What? Who is this guy? He's definitely in love with himself. I read several Yellowstone journal articles about the "hot spot" and plume theory.

Go look at a map showing the hot spot path of destruction leading up to the Yellowstone of the present...just that image alone supports a fixed heat source with the plate moving over it.

Appears to be like a blow torch in the crust, pointed upwards that has been reshapping all that lies above. Don't believe what that whiy blowhard is blowharding about. He sounds like a little kid who is combatting personal rejection.

This is why sites like this suck. Bad information and whiny conspiracy jerks. How retrograde.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
nice peak on 13:20 at YML...
al least a 2.??
no notification on usgs...

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
nice peak on 13:20 at YML...
al least a 2.??
no notification on usgs...

It's not a local earthquake. It has got no instant attack and exponential decay, and it's appearing only on YML. Signals this big and of "weird shape" appearing only on one webicorder are most likely not of geological nature. An earthquake of 2.x magnitude will show on more than one webicorder.

Also, earthquake epicenters can be located only if their seismic signals are detected by at least three seismometers. Even if this was an earthquake (it isn't), it couldn't have been located because only YML is detecting it.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

This is why sites like this suck. Bad information and whiny conspiracy jerks. How retrograde.

Also we have to tolerate jerkweeds like you.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by cbxer55]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Can you explain why for those who don't have the time to read or can't understand all the links you have posted?

[edit on 2009/7/12 by Shirakawa]

top topics

<< 464  465  466    468  469  470 >>

join