It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 470
<< 467  468  469    471  472  473 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Not only would this be a disaster in its own right, this would have a major effect-

www.thenewstribune.com...

It is also in the time frame that it could be "due" to happen soon. Best guess though, eh?

edit didn't mean to duplicate post moderator can remove

[edit on 17-8-2009 by winotka]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by winotka

Nice article, you should have started a thread for it! Last night while following the earthquake activity I noted that the quakes that are larger have quickly become more frequent, like in the last 2 weeks, check the USGS and you can see it for yourself, tonight a 4.4 has hit in CO just after a rare 3.3 hit last night. Something is on the move for sure.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by winotka
Not only would this be a disaster in its own right, this would have a major effect-

www.thenewstribune.com...

It is also in the time frame that it could be "due" to happen soon. Best guess though, eh?

edit didn't mean to duplicate post moderator can remove

[edit on 17-8-2009 by winotka]

very interesting read .

we may have to keep a close eye on this for the next few months

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Anyone following TrueAmerican's post on strange activity south of YS?

Recent events happening at Grand Teton (South of Yellowstone)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Anyone here following GEE or the Seismometers?

Anyone here?

[edit on 8/18/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

As you know i'm still following this thread and reading every post in it but i did notice TrueAmerican's thread....

With all the recent earthquake activity i wonder if will will see another series like the beginning of this year and ofcourse if PuterMan will create a "i've read the thread, 500 pages" avatar....

If that happens i will replace my avatar with that one...

Peace

[edit on 18/8/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
[edit on 18-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
what the heck does this mean?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Likely that the seismic station is malfunctioning.
Strangely its seismic data doesn't appear to be downloadable, but I'm fairly certain it's a local problem.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

It's interesting that the closest webicorder to YNR, which is YUF (Upper Falls) has also been down for a while:

www.quake.utah.edu...

But right now I am keeping a close eye on all these quakes off the Oregon coast. There's been like 5 quakes today, all in the same rough spot, 4.3 to 5.3, all except for one shallow at 10km, other was at 63km depth. They are happening on a ridge though, and not directly on the subduction zone. Still, could be trouble there. I got every station I can on the west coast up in GEE.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Monthly update from Yellowstone Volcano Observatory:

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY MONTHLY UPDATE
Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:41 MDT (Tuesday, September 1, 2009 16:41 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW#1205-01-)
44.43°N 110.67°W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Aviation Color Code: GREEN

August 2009 Yellowstone Seismicity Summary

During the month of August 2009, 86 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone region. The largest event was a magnitude 2.1 on August 14 at 8:37 AM MDT, located about 10 miles north northwest of Madison Junction, WY. A small swarm of 29 earthquakes occurred August 8-12. The swarm was located about 5 miles northwest of West Yellowstone, MT with magnitudes ranging from 2.0 to -0.6.

Earthquake activity in the Yellowstone region is at relatively normal background levels.

Ground Deformation Summary: Through August 2009, continuous GPS data show that uplift of the Yellowstone Caldera has slowed and may have stopped. The WLWY station, located in the northeastern part of the caldera, has undergone a total of ~23 cm of uplift since mid-2004. Its record can be found at:
pboweb.unavco.org...

The general uplift and subsidence of the Yellowstone caldera is of scientific importance and will continue to be monitored closely by YVO staff.

An article on the recent uplift episode at Yellowstone and discussion of long-term ground deformation at Yellowstone and elsewhere can be found at: volcanoes.usgs.gov...

-----
The Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO) is a partnership of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), Yellowstone National Park, and University of Utah to strengthen the long-term monitoring of volcanic and earthquake unrest in the Yellowstone National Park region. Yellowstone is the site of the largest and most diverse collection of natural thermal features in the world and the first National Park. YVO is one of the five USGS Volcano Observatories that monitor volcanoes within the United States for science and public safety.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Thanks S!

Ground Deformation Summary: Through August 2009, continuous GPS data show that uplift of the Yellowstone Caldera has slowed and may have stopped.

I think the giant quit breathing momentarily!
But he's still snoring...
I hope that means all quiet on the western front!

Thanks for the update!
Peace to the volcano gods!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I came here to post about the ground deformation having slowed or stopped- a very significant development. That tends to support the hypothesis that the December/January swarm was associated with a shift from the uplift cycle, as past swarms have been.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel434
I came here to post about the ground deformation having slowed or stopped- a very significant development. That tends to support the hypothesis that the December/January swarm was associated with a shift from the uplift cycle, as past swarms have been.

hmm no uplift means that the pressure underneath is equal with the resistion of the uplift...
meaning if the pressure in the chamber is building up moore we could have a mayor problem... when the uplift cracks......

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Since the discussion is drifting back to uplift, I will provide a link to a post of mine on January 11th wherein I provided calculations for the effect of uplift on the increased outflow that the lake was demonstrating at that time.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
soooooooo. a lil active in the little west thumb area of yellowstone park. anyone else notice what im talkin about? there seems to be increasing activitie today www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Nothing above a 1 nothing swarming at all,

The two 1;s not to shallow

A very quiet day as far as the history of the area.

Try Looking here

Ignore the "noise" you see on the link you provided, hydothermal very local events or dodgy connections recorders etc.

Please dont scare people this is a very bloody scarey possibilty and you made me hold my breath for a mo.

Elf

[edit on 14-9-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It is up with the birds this morning-

www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Seems like we are seeing 2-3 a day (or more) 1.0+'s this week, could be we are about to see another swarm cycle starting up.

Just a brief note for those of us not getting emailed reports every day.

M.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

yes its another swarm but most of em are below 1.0 so i wouldnt worry

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Date-Time

* Monday, September 21, 2009 at 00:42:48 UTC
* Sunday, September 20, 2009 at 06:42:48 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 44.796°N, 110.525°W
Depth 1.7 km (1.1 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING
Distances

* 31 km (19 miles) SSE (151°) from Gardiner, MT
* 48 km (30 miles) ENE (72°) from West Yellowstone, MT
* 52 km (32 miles) WSW (242°) from Cooke City-Silver Gate, MT
* 463 km (288 miles) NNE (13°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.5 km (0.3 miles); depth +/- 2.3 km (1.4 miles)
Parameters NST= 28, Nph= 28, Dmin=9 km, Rmss=0.22 sec, Gp= 54°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=1
Source

* University of Utah Seismograph Stations

Event ID uu00004081

top topics

<< 467  468  469    471  472  473 >>

join