It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May 1 Protest -Will it hurt or help illegals?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite
Uh, Texas is not known as a bastion of liberty or an example of democracy to be followed.

Perhaps, in your small sarcastic opinion only…simply ask all the millions of illegal aliens residing in Texas without much of a hassle to date…pfft.

Texas is an overflowing repository of illegal aliens from Mexico and I know for a fact no harm would come if they chose to protest. Can you prove otherwise?

Originally posted by donwhite
Texas has the distinction of having executed 154 persons under Gov Geo W which is in itself an American record! Unlikely to ever be duplicated.

Unlike your chronically duplicated comments…no matter what the issue may be…’bash Bush’…yeah that always works, right?

Save it.

mg

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
America should be on ADD medication! Two days later, and all will be forgotten. We have the attention span of a flea!

Its over- Nothing was accomplished, and will all be swept under the rug.

I am sure this served as a smoke screen for something else.

Next!

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Nothing ventured nothing gained...
I have to give a lot of props to all who where involed in the protest. I actually have no stance on the issue (right or wrong) but, the manner of which people carried themself was very good and something to be proud of. There was no violence no hatred and all in all it was a very good protest.
But, sadly this may have been the downfall. Not enought violence to keep the American media and people interested. I just don't know where the world is heading when the only time you can get your cause into the mainstream is by doing something horrible.
what a world what a world...

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I plan on doing some very careful research this summer for myself, friends, family and everyone that i know to find out what my senators and congressman have been up to during their terms and then making it my mission in life to make sure they get voted out and replaced. I also plan on emailing them and telling them of my plans to remove them from office and how i feel about the job that theyve done during their tenures.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   

posted by Blaine91555: “donwhite, You read a lot into my post that was not intended . . you will find we are not that far apart. I am not a Republican or a Democrat. What’s the difference? [Edited by Don W]

I’m sorry about that. It’s my fault. I’ll try to avoid a repeat. Well I admit what you say about the two parties is often repeated. I have rationalized it this way: Dems do 60% of what I would like and GOP does 10% of what I’d like. So, for me, it is a clear choice.

As to whether or not the Mexican government is criminal? To them I suppose they are not . . I look at it this way. Millions of decent hardworking Mexicans have risked everything including their lives to get here. Why? Because Mexico is such a wonderfully managed place? Mexico is rich in natural resources and manpower. Their tourist trade is next to none. So, why are they living in such poverty they risk the trip across the border? Good leadership? I probably should have used the word "incompetent" as it may fit better.

The history of Mexico is one of betrayal of its leaders of the cause of Mexican independence and freedom - not the Geo W version of democracy which is to vote in a rigged election as in Palestine - but the inherent right of a people to have a safe, competent government. America has done as much as the rich Spanish-descended ruling class of Mexico to keep the majority of Mexicans “in their place.” Vincente Fox is a different breed of Mexican politician albeit he is one of the Spanish descended types. Sort of a South of the Border Bill Clinton. America as mucked up every nation south of the Rio Grande since the 1820s. Every single one. To be free of America is the goal of every nation in the Western Hemisphere, including Canada.

Another good question is why is the Mexican government so gung ho about helping its own citizens flee. Something smells to high heaven about that.

I’d mark that down to a sense of humanity. Common decency.

Even with our problems this is still a great nation. The first thing we have got to do is stop empowering the extremists on both sides of the aisle by fighting amongst ourselves.

You’re asking for a sea change. I’ve advocated CFR - Campaign Finance Reform - for years - nay decades - bur I rarely get a come back on any board. We cannot expect our congresspersons to represent us when a “safe” district needs $500,000 for a nominal campaign. Every two years.

Early on in my life I noticed that those who made donations to the campaigns expected a return on their money of 10 to 1, a 100 to 1 and sometimes 1000s to 1. It was obvious to me too many years ago that it would be far cheaper for the general taxpayer if the public paid for public elections. Returns on investment now run to 10,000 to 1; just look at the $70 million payoff to VP Cheney by Halliburton!

Why has OBL not taken advantage of the open border? Good question. Perhaps to divide us and wait until we are not expecting an attack?

Or maybe Osama is not interested in attacking the US at all. Maybe he is more like the WMDs we chased? For me, Geo W has lost all his credibility.

[edit on 5/3/2006 by donwhite]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
May 1st was not only about illegal Immigrants, who represent a large part of the population. It was also about American Immigration policy, worker’s rights and unfortunately racism. We need to work with them, not against… We need a worthy American answer to this issue, not some unrealistic “gather and deport them all” or “build more walls and/or fences”. Those silly ideas will never work.

The gather and deport technique has been tried and failed in the past. It was called “Operation Wetback” (1950s). We need fresh ideas, not old and abused ones.

The one positive note from these rallies is that at least we still have some rights in this country. It is a beautiful thing to be able to express your voice without fear of repercussions.

Power to the People!!

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop

One day your neighborhood will have business signs ... in spanish.
Your fast food restaurant workers will speak to you first ... in spanish.
Your gardeners, house keepers and employees will speak ... in spanish.

And the english language that you speak now will be lost to history.

Paranoid aren't we...

Spanish is the 2nd largest language spoken in the world, it will be part of the US for a long time; if not, forever. Don't be a hater because you can't roll your Rs *joking*. Is having Spanish signs in Latino neighborhoods any different then say China or Korea towns having signs in there own language? Just in case you forgot, this is America land of the free...

[edit on 3-5-2006 by Marz]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marz
May 1st was not only about illegal Immigrants, who represent a large part of the population.

1. Right now the US census site has US population at 298,654,791.

2. Current estimates of illegals in the US are estimated to be at 10 million.

Now I do not know where you took your math, but where I learned that would be far less then ten percent which as anyone knows does not represent a large part of the population as you assert. :shk:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by yadboy
There's no easy answers, but the political fatcats need to start making some hard decisions, and soon. This issue is a festering wound, and will only get worse.

I disagree in part with what you said. Yes there is an easy answer/solution. Enforce our laws by deporting as many as we can. Immediately place hundreds if not thousands of national guard troops on the border. Then follow that with immediately building a fence that will keep them from coming back. Also make it a felony to be here illegally, that way local police can arrest them. As it is now from what I have read it is impossible for local police to get involved because it is not a felony. It is in Mexico but not here, hmmm that alone tells us a lot doesn't it?

In addition it should be a felony to hire illegals and have illegals working for you. In other words make those that hire them think twice before hiring an employing them.

The hardest part would be deporting them, other then that the other solutions would have a dramatic effect immediately.

You kinda made my point for me about it not being easy.
It's easy to lay it out like that, but try and implement your plan. It will be anything but easy. You don't think the less upstanding types will fight the forced deportation? It wouldn't be easy, it would be a nightmare, both from a political and operational standpoint. Even if we could accomplish this goal from an operational standpoint the lawmakers would never sign off on it. It just won't happen...

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

It just won't happen...

I would not bet on that. It seems like more representatives are getting on the band wagon. I assume you missed this post I made last night.

Republicans set sights on aliens' employers

House Republicans called on U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to prosecute businesses shut down yesterday by their illegal alien employees who took the day off to participate in protests of immigration legislation.

"Too often, we presume that fault lies with the illegal migrant worker, but we need to recognize that the employer broke the law by hiring the illegal alien," wrote Republican Reps. Jack Kingston of Georgia and Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee. "We believe the federal government has an obligation to enforce the nation's immigration laws and must actively investigate any and all instances where it is apparent industries have knowingly and willingly hired those who entered this country illegally."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   

May 1st was not only about illegal Immigrants, who represent a large part of the population.

1. Right now the US census site has US population at 298,654,791.

2. Current estimates of illegals in the US are estimated to be at 10 million.

Now I do not know where you took your math, but where I learned that would be far less then ten percent which as anyone knows does not represent a large part of the population as you assert. :shk:

Not even Immigration knows; it's simply a guesstimate. Is that what your basing your information on, a guesstimate? Using your numbers, 10 million is not chump change (actually guesstimate is around 11 million). I admit, I should have phrased it differently. If that is all you had to mention on my post, I'll consider myself ahead since that part was the least of my worries.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Using your numbers, 10 million is not chump change (actually guesstimate is around 11 million).

I never said the number was not large. The point that I was trying to make is that ten percent of the illegal population is only a very small portion of the population, which means your assertion that it was a large portion of our population out right wrong.

[edit on 5/3/2006 by shots]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hispanic influence factor depends on geographic location and many protestors were legal residents.

Where I live, it's best to learn some spanish for both business and consumer purposes.

12.5% in the 2000 Census identified themselves as Hispanic
www.censusscope.org...

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Being caucasian can be so embarassing at times. The public signs in Chicago, where I was raised, were mostly in both Spanish and English by the '70's. BFD. I wouldn't close the gates to anyone on the basis of race, national origin, language, gender, sexual orientation. If it was easier to immigrate we could keep better track of who was coming in and what their history is, just like they did my grandparents at Ellis Island.

Prison is the answer for so many hard decisions these days. I find that reprehensible and a failure of the state. The failed Drug War is a prime example of our social failures. Criminalizing 12 million brown people with a felony 'just because' is also a mistake of vast proportions.

We are a cold, selfish and ruthless people.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   

The gather and deport technique has been tried and failed in the past. It was called “Operation Wetback” (1950s). We need fresh ideas, not old and abused ones.

Power to the People!!

Yes but now adays we have a larger structure of highways to deport the illegals. We can build bigger walls faster and cheaper. We can survey our borders with new technology (i.e. infrared and visibile light cameras). We have a large amount of soldiers at our disposal that we could place along the border... oh yea and not to mention that over 50% of the people of the United States want illegals to be deported (according to a poll on the news).

BTW- CSrules, i nominate you for president

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Spanish is the 2nd largest language spoken in the world,

Err…no…Spanish is 4th (if one considers ‘Mexican’ ‘Spanish’)which is behind English at #3 and Mandarin Chinese is #1, Hindi #2.

Is having Spanish signs in Latino neighborhoods any different then say China or Korea towns having signs in there own language?

No…but having proper immigration polices would curtail the need, not to mention shut down the ‘free flow’ of public monies paying for something as unnecessary and frivolous which can easily be paid for by the coffers of the community in ‘need’.

Just in case you forgot, this is America land of the free...

I’ll finish the sentence for you with one word…”citizen”

mg

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   

It just won't happen...

I would not bet on that. It seems like more representatives are getting on the band wagon. I assume you missed this post I made last night.

Republicans set sights on aliens' employers

House Republicans called on U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to prosecute businesses shut down yesterday by their illegal alien employees who took the day off to participate in protests of immigration legislation.

"Too often, we presume that fault lies with the illegal migrant worker, but we need to recognize that the employer broke the law by hiring the illegal alien," wrote Republican Reps. Jack Kingston of Georgia and Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee. "We believe the federal government has an obligation to enforce the nation's immigration laws and must actively investigate any and all instances where it is apparent industries have knowingly and willingly hired those who entered this country illegally."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That's good news, but it's still a far cry from the forced deportations you laid out in a previous post. That is what I am saying will not happen. Cracking down on businesses that hire illegals is one thing (and a step in the right direction), hunting down and forcibly deporting illegals is quite another. Many will not go quietly, and any violence will be blamed on the authorities in charge of the deportations. It's a lose-lose situation. Yes I would rather they were sent out and put in the back of the line to get back in (if allowed in the line at all), but I just don't think our congressmen and senators have the stomach or backbone to try to implement this.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by missed_gear

Spanish is the 2nd largest language spoken in the world,

Err…no…Spanish is 4th (if one considers ‘Mexican’ ‘Spanish’)which is behind English at #3 and Mandarin Chinese is #1, Hindi #2.

Err…yes… According to most sources. Every language has different dialects, even English. Not, to mention that Chinese has tons of them. Mexican Spanish or not, it’s Spanish.

Originally posted by missed_gear

Just in case you forgot, this is America land of the free...

I’ll finish the sentence for you with one word…”citizen”

mg

You can debate this all you want, but the Statue of Liberty speaks the truth.

Quote:
"Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free..."
-The Statue of Liberty

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Quote:
-The Statue of Liberty

You re right that is what it says. But you have to remember that is based on those that apply for and are accepted as legal immigrants. There in lies the difference. In this case they are not legal they are illegal just why you cannot or will not accept that is beyond me. Race has nothing to do with it, although many have claimed it does when in fact not one person ever said they do not want those here that entered legally.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Quote:
-The Statue of Liberty

You re right that is what it says. But you have to remember that is based on those that apply for and are accepted as legal immigrants. There in lies the difference. In this case they are not legal they are illegal just why you cannot or will not accept that is beyond me. Race has nothing to do with it, although many have claimed it does when in fact not one person ever said they do not want those here that entered legally.

Race does have something to do with it, but i agree with it. illegals lower house prices, by just moving in. they take and take free schooling,etc. the last thing we need is 12 million new mexian voters. That would give them more voting power and thats not what we need. they pretty much shoot themselves in the foot on this one. you dont try and hurt the hand that feeds you. itsd egg all over there face , all those mexicans thought that they have a lot of control over the econ, alls this did was prove was that they dont hold as much clout as they thought. now hopefully we can build a fence and get as many out as we can.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by shortmanx5]

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join