It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Hurricane like storm just formed in the center of the US.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Wow!! I'm thinking HAARP too! I'll have to go back and watch Day After Tomorrow....can't remember all of it.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I don't remember all of the movie either, but I wouldn't look to Hollywood for any answers

I don't know if it was caused by HAARP or not, but if by chance this thing formed into a hurricane, it would be both out of season and over land, what else could it be? Doubt anything major will happen, probably just a freak thing but what do I know. Ha... I will look out my window in 2 hours and see cows flying passed.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I'll have to ask my kids if we have that movie....I may have to rent it. About the Hollywood thing, sometimes I think Hollywood has a Movie like way of telling some truths. Like the movie Core.... Now we keep hearing about Pole Shifts...and that was Like an HAARP type weapon in that movie. Hmmmm

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I have a dumb question as well....you don't normally get Hurricanes in the Wisconsin area right?
Or can they pop up anywhere.
Sorry ...........just curious.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm far from a weather expert or enthusiast, but I think they require the warm ocean water. They lose their power as soon as they make land fall, so I am going to have to say no, they don't just form over land (but I could be wrong).

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rizin
I'm far from a weather expert or enthusiast, but I think they require the warm ocean water. They lose their power as soon as they make land fall, so I am going to have to say no, they don't just form over land (but I could be wrong).

That's what I always though too. I think it's not normal....and man if that's a tornado...lol.... that is one big twister!! I'm turning on the weather channel to see what they are saying about it.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Hurricanes form over warm water,they cant form over land. But maybe its some kind of new weather pattern previously unknown. I know where i live in the southwest us,the weather has been really weird this past month or 2.One day its clear and 85 degrees,the next its barely hitting 50 and downpoaring rain and hail.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Coolaid has it SO right! Its like.....OMG, a low pressure system!!!! Batten down the hatches! Seek shelter immediately! Withdraw your IRA's! Go to the store and stock up on canned goods! Go ahead and run down your ex-wife and to hell with the limit on trout-fishing!!! The end of the world is at hand!!!!

"The Day After Tomorrow" is JUST a movie that has very LITTLE basis in scientific fact! I think we'll be here next week

Its just the season (SPRING---dee-deDEEE!) and there are systems like this nearly every month!

[edit on 20-4-2006 by CreeWolf]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I'm no weatherman, but here's what I see

Yes, it is obviously a low pressure system. (In case you're curious, so is a hurricane).

By virtue of 1. Not being over water. 2. Not being over anywhere particularly warm this one won't be able to play hell with people the way a hurricane does. Expect lower winds and way less water. I wouldn't panic.

It is an oddity however. It's remarkably well defined. I don't know if that's a function of pressure differential between the system and the air outside, or resulting from a convenient pattern of winds or lack thereof from outside the system or what, but it's a much tighter low pressure system than I'm used to seeing over Wisconsin.

I've seen plenty of weather systems that more or less try to circulate, but I've never seen one stay intact inland like that, much less form there.

I'm not an expert. For all I know, it could happen on a monthly basis and just never happened in America at a time when I happened to be watching the weather channel.

Still, not something exceedingly common, and so it begs certain questions since it happens to be coinciding with a year in which rainfall has been distributed in peculiar fashion, and following on the heels of a record breaking hurricane season (and several other odd ones), in which we saw low pressure systems do all kind of strange things.

So look, scoff all you want. I'm not saying it's gonna eat the world (although I'm curious what the one off the coast of Maine plans to do) i'm just observing along with the others that this is odd and makes you wonder what else could happen that we rarely see, particularly in regards to hurricanes, which operate on basically the same principle as this little thing.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Here is an Interview discussing HAARP... Click Here!

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Don't know if you're comparing that image with current radar, but the low pressure anomaly in the upper USA is hardly producing any weather disturbances at all. If you want to see BAD weather, look way down in Texas.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 06:23 AM
link   
This remind me of a storm from September 2004. Same place, same pattern...

ClimatePatrol: Crazy weather in South Dakota? (by Hellmutt - Sept 2004)

Note the hurricane east of Florida...

[edit on 2006/4/23 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
LOL! It's just a weak depression.....

Meteorologically speaking it's about as rare and unusual as a sunny day in the Sahara. Jus happens that the clouds revolving slowly around this system are well defined in the latest sat image. That's all.

To compare it to a hurricane is like comparing a blade of grass to a sequoia.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
To me it looks like nothing much is going to happen. But since it appears to be moving directly for the Great Lakes and me, I'll let you know if anything happens. We get a tornado around here about once every 200 years or so. I figure things would have to go completely ideally for it to pick up that much power and strength, though.

[edit on 20-4-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I live in Minnesota and can report first hand that it may look weird on the map but it's really nothing. We barely had rain out of it. It did snow about 6 inches in S. Dakota but hasn't produced more than a few storms.
It's just a big swirl and the winds were managable about 30 mph at least here in the Twin Cities.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
It's called a vertically-stacked system.

Here's a famous one that actually developed a warm core, like a hurricane does.

Hurricane Huron - Great Lakes
Hurricanes in Michigan?? -NOAA

The current stacked system is a cold core, and it's a hell of a
strong cut-off low, especially for this time of year... a rare event.

Deadly Plains Snow, 91 MPH Winds - a lot more info at the link
The following snowfall reports over 20 inches were issued by the National Weather Service:
MEADE, SD: 25.0"
LAWRENCE, SD: 24.5"
CROOK, WY: 24.0"
FARMINGTON PEAK, UT: 22.0"
SNOWBIRD, UT: 22.0"
ALTA, UT: 21.0"
5-foot drifts were reported north of Lindsay, Montana.

The following wind gusts over 80 mph were reported:
SNOWBASIN STRAW TOP, UT: 91 MPH
RUSHVILLE, NE: 84 MPH
SNOWBASIN WILDCAT, UT: 81 MPH

9 INCHES AT NEWEL, SD
10 INCHES AT CAMP CROOK, SD AND FORT MEADE, SD
12 INCHES AT BELLE FOURCHE, WY AND BUFFALO, WY
15 INCHES AT BEAR RIDGE, SD
20 INCHES AT HARDING, SD
24 INCHES AT SPEARFISH, SD
36 INCHES AT WESTION, WY
46 INCHES AT 2 MILES NORTHEAST OF DEADWOOD, SD
59.4 INCHES AT LEAD, SD...OVER FIVE INCHES /5.21/ LIQUID EQUIVALENT
iwin.nws.noaa.gov...

4 Dead After Storms Blast Through Northwestern Plains
Spring Snow Causes Calving Woes in N.D.

This one has no chance at developing a quasi-warm core,
since it's too early in the season and the lakes are cold.

A dry slot of warm air is coming into this low from the W and NW,
so it should degrade and pose less of a severe weather danger.

ETA 500mb vort loop of Great Lakes

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN
329 AM CDT THU APR 20 2006

.DISCUSSION...TODAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT
GOES WV/IR LOOP AND EVENING UPPER AIR ANALYSES REVEALED STACKED
UPPER LEVEL LOW SPINNING LIKE A PINWHEEL ACROSS THE MN AND DAKOTAS
BORDER WITH DRY AIR INTRUSION WRAPPING AROUND IT. 1004MB SFC LOW
DIRECTLY BELOW AND FILLING RAPIDLY WITH WEAK COLD FRONT EXTENDING
SOUTH. LIGHT ECHOES ON 88D DIRECTLY AHEAD OF LOW AND DISSIPATING
AT PRESENT. SHWRS WITH EMBEDDED TNDR THAT DEVELOPED OVER N WI
LAST AFTN AND EVENING WAS AT NOSE OF H8-H7 THETA-E AXIS WHICH WILL
BE LITTLE OF A FACTOR TODAY. BESIDES SCT SHWRS...DRIVING FORCE
FOR ANY ORGANIZED PRECIP TODAY WILL BE BREAKS IN THE CLOUDS UNDER
-25C H5 AND -10C H7 TEMPS. THESE WILL BE DIFFICULT TO PLACE...BUT
THINKING IS THAT SHWRS WILL BE A DEFINITE OVER NORTHERN TWO-
THIRDS OF CWA AND COVERAGE WILL BE MINIMAL WHICH YIELDS 50 TO 60
POPS. NO CG STROKES WERE SEEN UNDER HEART OF SYSTEM YESTERDAY SO
HAVE SQUEEZED ISOLD TNDR MENTION TO SOUTH AND EAST OF THE TWIN
CITIES WHERE H7 JET NOSES IN AND LAPSE RATES ARE PROGGED TO BE
GREATER. CLOUD COVER WILL KEEPS TEMPS DOWN OVER MN...WITH BELOW
NRML VALUES SEEN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A WHILE.

[edit on 20-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
My guess is that since this things dropped anywhere from 13 inches to 2 feet of snow in it's wake it can officially be called a storm.

www.cnn.com...

Geo

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
As my husband would say, two words: Water vapor. It's great to speculate about the possibilities though, isn't it.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The stuff running throught Tennessee and Kentucky as I write this looks far more sinister.

NOAA

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
You know how tornadoes and all that weather related stuff is formed right? It could be just as well a bunch of clouds formed by the same forces. If you want this explained, U2U me.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join