It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dunning-Kruger effect and ATS

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

And now a small practical part. Pay attention to my any thread on ATC. You will immediately see a small group of ATC members, mainly British, who constantly hate me, consider themselves absolute experts in any topic, any that I publish. And I publish topics on a very wide range of human knowledge. But they are absolute experts in everything. Moreover, they use exclusively sources from Western media (and we all know the level of their bias), but I am constantly accused of propaganda.
Well, God be with them. I am not offended, because I am extremely sober and critical about the level of my knowledge and beliefs based on them.
By the way, everything is according to the Dunning-Kruger Effect.))))

Thank you.

Brits are known for their sense of irony.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 03:30 PM
link   

BEFORE YOU POST.
READ THIS....

Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (Redux)

Community Announcement re: Decorum

These rules apply to all threads and if you want to engage in personal attacks there are other sites on the Internet where you can do that. Our goal is for ATS to be above that. For members here to post like mature adults.
YOU are responsible for your own posts

And, as always...
Do not reply to this post.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnowItAllKnowNothin
a reply to: lostgirl

BTW : I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Ha, ha - I don't know....it all made sense to me!!

Thank you for the stars and for engaging with my subject matter!

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlest2

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: RussianTroll

That was interesting.

Until you started with your British bashing.

I certainly don't hate you, you are amusing.

If the shoe fits, wear it!

...Or bang it on the delegate-desk at the UN.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

Thanks RT.

I like to poke-around OP themes like today's, in a few different ways.
I enjoy reading the thoughts of our esteemed members, from thoughtful to ridonkulous.
I do some internet searches on the subject. As it seems : there are many papers out there contending that the DKE isn't real. ( Perhaps those covering for the incompetency of our institutions ? )

I also like to see what's available from the artistic world.
Didn't find any good memes, but here is a song :

Who Wants To Be Clean In A Dirty World? From a band named Dunning-Kruger. Posted 11 months ago, only 19 views so far.

And another excellent offer from our friends at After-Skool :

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Is that a bit like thinking your military could crush Ukraine in 3 days? I wonder where that was in the competence vs confidence curve? Hmmm.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 06:31 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

ATS would be less exciting if proof was attached to every claim.

Thank you for explaining that you value excitement over honesty and verifiability. Very ATS indeed.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I've found that when someone invokes the Dunning-Kruger effect that they found the definition of online, in order to dispute or denigrate their opponent, they themselves have proved that their use of that definition is then applied to them as well.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: GotterDameron23

The effect is real, Dunning and Kruger or no Dunning and Kruger.

It isn't confined to stupid people either. Some very famous intellectuals have made fools of themselves underestimating their knowledge and competence in relation to matters they do not understand. Noam Chomsky is one of the greatest linguists ever, perhaps the GOAT, but when he tries to talk about politics he makes an ideological idiot of himself.

Above Top Secret is a website on which members daily express their opinions on matters which they are absolutely unqualified to speak about. Most of them seem to have no other interest besides politics, but they clearly don't know anything about that, either.

So, as you might expect, examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect abound throughout the site.

There was a time when the ATS membership comprised people with some special interest in life –- UFOs, the paranormal, deep-state conspiracies, electric-universe theories, unconventional views on evolution and the origins of life are only a few of the subjects that were discussed here. The people discussing them were, for the most part, keenly interested in these subjects and, whatever their level of formal education, did know a great deal about them -- no matter that what they 'knew' was often false or poorly understood.

The many different forums on this site, all moribund now, testify to the breadth of interests of the former membership, and the threads in those forums more than testify to their knowledge. The inactivity of those forums testifies not only to how much the membership has shrunk, but how it has deteriorated in quality. The current membership has no interest in the subjects formerly discussed on this site; all they are interested in US politics and right-wing social issues.

Anyone looking for intelligence had better look somewhere else. Those days are gone on ATS. Dunning and Kruger rule here now.

edit on 4-9-2024 by Kallipygywiggy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I found this interesting:

www.leftjabs.com...

"But the rarest of the rare is that specimen who effectively owns one of the biggest countries in the world, and thinks he knows how to manage it.

Now, as we approach the bloody anniversary of his insanely stupid war, it’s clear that Vladimir Putin is the poster boy for the Dunning-Kruger effect. And that his particular pathology has trickled down through the entirety of Russian society.

Seen through this lens, one can’t help but think that Russia is now suffused with — and lost to — a Dunning-Kruger-type grandiosity".

And:

"There is no democratic tradition in Russia, so there’s never been a credible check on absolute power. The country was always isolated, always a world unto itself, and it was virtually untouched by the social and intellectual ferment that swept Europe with the Renaissance and Reformation.

Consequently, the Russian people are participants — willing or not — in a dehumanizing system that combines underachievement with cruelty, and that rewards a zombie-like absence of civic self-awareness.

And now, with the arrogance of a true Dunning-Kruger effect specimen, Russia seeks to spread that system to the rest of the world. Which would be an appalling prospect, if they actually possessed the skills to do so.

Fortunately, they don’t have those skills."
edit on 4-9-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

A good article and a brilliant example of the effect.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Did all of you fail D-K then as you all act as if it is accepted when there are tons of new studies that say it is an artifact of the way they tested for it, and not an actually result of how the mind works?

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

A good article and a brilliant example of the effect.

Thanks. I quite liked the "a Dunning-Kruger-type grandiosity" bit!

Seems quite, apt.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDuckEnergy

No, I read those studies that it is not real, but real or not, it certainly does describe some folk.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I found one study very interesting and I am trying to find it that explains what D-K shows. The long and the short of it is IQ correlating with arrogance and basically it is very nearly the same curve, just because D-K was wrong doesn't mean you don't witness people who are covered by it!

If you have ever done something that is practice intensive and then stop practicing? For example golf or playing an instrument? When you go and do it again you will be good enough to know when you make mistakes but not practiced enough to avoid them. An outside person without knowledge of what it requires will judge you as bad not knowing you are just out of practice. That is as close as an analogy as I can get as to why D-K can be problematic.
edit on 4-9-2024 by BigDuckEnergy because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-9-2024 by BigDuckEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDuckEnergy

Perhaps, yes.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Closed for staff review.

ATS does not allow threads that discuss members.
Regardless of the topic of the OP.

Terms And Conditions

edit on Fri Sep 6 2024 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join