It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dunning-Kruger effect and ATS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:18 PM
link   
A very heated discussion, by the way, not related to this effect. Or related to a minimal extent.)))

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

Round here we call it the KnowItAllKnowNothin Effect.

By "we" : I mean me.

The name was chosen to not-only reflect what one encounters on this website, but also as a reminder to myself, to stop pretending to know things that I don't really know much about.

My interest on this website is beliefs.
The origins, and maintaining of beliefs, and how it is all expressed here in short blurbs.

So holding false beliefs about one's competence in any area, DK, is right up that ally, and I will enjoy following the thread.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: KnowItAllKnowNothin

I am confident in your competence in the topic you have stated. Develop it on the forum, and I will gladly take part in its discussion.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:25 PM
link   

"replyHa, when there is a complete failure in their own statements, then the British offer their opponents to prove their, the British, own statements themselves.
This is epic)))"

Seeing as how you were wrong about that, and seeing as how not being able to cope with or admit to being wrong is a D-K trait, perhaps you might want to admit to being wrong?

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Here's a great article about the Dunning-Kruger effect RT.

www.linkedin.com...#:~:text=My%20conclusion%20is%20that%20Putin%20is%20a%20classic%20exampl e%20of

With the first anniversary of the invasion of Ukraine rapidly approaching I thought I would put my argument about Putin for your consideration and comment. My conclusion is that Putin is a classic example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. This is a cognitive bias effect where a low performing individual over-estimates their ability. it is my submission that Putin is a poor performer as a leader but doesn't understand that he is.

here were plenty of early signs Putin was a poorly performing leader. The most obvious was he was the creator of a corrupt kleptocracy. Further, he eliminated competent people around him that could have offered different advice. As far as a modernizer is concerned you only have to look at the misadventures of his only aircraft carrier the Admiral Kuznetsov which are comic and compare that with its sister ship owned by the Chinese. The catalogue of incompetence is now well known and doesn't need repeating.

Finally, Russian apologists such as Mearshiemer and other analysts without Russian expertise claim that the war was caused by either NATO expansion or the desire to plug the gaps by forward positioning. Both explanations seem problematic. Most Russian experts seem to put it down to Putin protecting his regime. This is more consistent with my argument that Putin is an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. One thing is for sure - Putin is no Peter the Great. He is the opposite and that is the problem.

edit on 3-9-2024 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I have not yet been provided with a link to a discussion on our forum dedicated solely to the Dunning-Kruger effect. There was one topic where this effect was mentioned among many others. But no one discussed it specifically.
I just find it funny))))

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Indeed. Refusing to listen to dissenting opinions, or even tolerating anything other than an echo chamber of his own opinions, is indeed cognitive bias.

I'm talking about Putin, but it applies to others.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:40 PM
link   

You can lead a horse to water.....

Like I said, the ATS search engine is not great but I have neither the time or inclination to spoon feed you.

"dedicated solely"?

Goalposts, moved.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Like I said, the ATS search engine is not great

Thats being exceptionally polite. I've been a here for 20 years and the search engine has never worked!!

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:54 PM
link   

It's been mentioned many times on here eg:

"Originally posted by: Bluesma
It's worth mentioning the Dunning - Kruger effect.

Which suggests that the less skilled you are in logic and reasoning, the more sure you will be that you are, and that others around you aren't."

I can't seem to link to that old post but it's there as are many other examples.

If you want to stick your fingers in your ears and indulge in denialism then you do you.

edit on 3-9-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 02:18 PM
link   
An interesting piece on D-K E here:

www.verywellmind.com...

"Dunning suggests that deficits in skill and expertise create a two-pronged problem. First, these deficits cause people to perform poorly in the domain in which they are incompetent. Secondly, their erroneous and deficient knowledge makes them unable to recognize their mistakes."

Emphasis on that last sentence.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

"when there is a complete failure in their own statements, then the British offer their opponents to prove their, the British, own statements themselves.
This is epic)))"

Complete failure? No.

How about admitting you were wrong about this?

Can you?

I won't spoon feed you any more.

Fact is, DK-E has been posted about a lot on here.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Ha ha ha, you crack me up sometimes RT.
Thanks for the laugh on what has been a long day for me.

You genuinely don't see the irony in your OP and its tone do you?

As for me; I know I'm thick as # and I honestly couldn't give a toss about it.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

I did catch your first post, enjoyed it, and starred it.
But now I gave you a second star, just for fun.

I sometimes ponder internet bubbles, and wonder about how far some may reach today, and tomorrow.

Like META : one can become totally immersed in their own little world, except someone, or something else has the keys to the front-door. Some say that's the goal.

These closed systems can potentially sense, and modulate the feedback to the consciousness ( person.)
These systems would probably have various feedback-loops, so as to be a self-correcting control-loop.

The risk is for the person to feel more alive in these systems, than out in nature.
Black-Mirror-Syndrome = BMS. ( I just made that up, to try and sound smart. )
That could cause major imbalance in the perceptions of the lost-soul, of which the Kunning-Druger-Effect would only be a part of it.

BTW : I have no idea what I'm talking about.
I have no qualifications, no authorizations, no education, no training, and no clues.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

That was interesting.

Until you started with your British bashing.

I certainly don't hate you, you are amusing.

If the shoe fits, wear it!

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: charlest2

What "shoe" is that? What's that got to do with my post?

Anything to say about DK-E?

Like, the topic?

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 03:15 PM
link   

So what this study clearly states is that the most ignorant are also the most steadfast and unwilling to alter their opinions concerning topics they know nothing about? Given that proof verifying this theory is displayed here day in and day out, it makes sense to me.

(post by WeMustCare removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlest2

So what this study clearly states is that the most ignorant are also the most steadfast and unwilling to alter their opinions concerning topics they know nothing about? Given that proof verifying this theory is displayed here day in and day out, it makes sense to me.

ATS would be less exciting if proof was attached to every claim.

edit on 392024 by WeMustCare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

"DCE"?

There's your problem.

Did you not see the posts referencing Dunning-Kruger that I posted about, above?
edit on 3-9-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join