It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dunning-Kruger effect and ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: BingoMcGoof

Yes. There have been threads on D-K and it has been used to insult folk on here pretty regularly.

I've had it used against me a few times.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

I will say, in reference to your criticism of our cherished UK membership here...that they often seem to personify DKE in that they fiddle on about how great Democrat/Marxist candidates and policies are in the US...while I see them ALSO constantly railing on about how ready for flushing, their own Marxist cesspool of a country has become.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:44 AM
link   

It frustrates and angers me that there are a few that are consistently keeping me from earning the yearly Dunning-Kruger award.

Always have to settle for runner up.

Pfft.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:45 AM
link   

And now a small practical part. Pay attention to my any thread on ATC. You will immediately see a small group of ATC members, mainly British, who constantly hate me, consider themselves absolute experts in any topic, any that I publish.

ATS ?

I have no hate for you Troll , you live in your bubble we live in ours but this is a discussion forum and opinions will differ , you bring the heat you receive to yourself due to your open and verbal hate of the British , you shouldn't be surprised if you get some blowback.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl , year after year"

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: wAnchorofCarp

I'd be happy to give you a few insider tips.....

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CarlLaFong

Thank you for reminding me of this, my friend)))
Of course, I know what narratives my British friends (not all of them, there are Brits I adore, especially the women) are promoting on our forum.
Their problem is that they still think they own planet Earth. This atavism is ruining their lives, and to some extent all of us. In reality, it is a backwater country that is rapidly losing everything, absolutely everything, that it once owned.
It is clear that wounded self-esteem sometimes takes extreme forms, turning into megalomania and schizophrenia. I hope they will soon return to reality and re-evaluate their capabilities))).

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Thank you for the vivid illustration of the thoughts that I described in my post))))

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

"Welcome to the Machine".

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

that farage bloke.

Im not refering to just one election, but many.

The London Mayor is a classic point. Not that much of a turn out and i bet that the majority who did turn out voted for the guy who is was recommended in their masjid.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Isn't that the nature of international Marxism?
Draw one's perceived competition DOWN to one's level...rather than using that competition to help raise one's self UP?

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:55 AM
link   

"Their problem is that they still think they own planet Earth."

No, we don't.

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with us Brits.

And a rather sad hatred of us.

Still, if it makes you happy?

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: McUrnsalso

Farage?

Thanks for your sage advice, but, no thanks.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Hello, Sir RussianT - I refuse to say "Troll", because I know it is untrue

While I definitely see "The Dunning-Kruger effect" in a few ATS members, there is another (less antagonistic seeming) effect which many people simply do not realize they have fallen victim to, because they've never heard of it.

The term for the effect is,"Filter Bubble". Here's a link to description of a book published in 2011:

"The Filter Bubble: What the Internet is Hiding from You" www.goodreads.com...

The term "Filter Bubble" is descriptive of the way that internet algorithms keep us in an ‘information bubble’, which results in confirmation bias, causing info that we ‘do Google searches’ on or that comes into our social media or news feeds -
- to automatically ‘reflect’ back to us (primarily) the content, ideas and opinions we currently ‘agree with’ (our paradigms) regardless whether they may be outdated, inaccurate, or even potentially untrue….
Here's a Ted Talk, by the author of the book:

Ted Talk Summary -
"As web companies strive to tailor their services (including news and search results) to our personal tastes, there's a dangerous unintended consequence: We get trapped in a "filter bubble" and don't get exposed to information that could challenge or broaden our worldview. Eli Pariser argues powerfully that this will ultimately prove to be bad for us and bad for democracy.”

Here's another good resource: Techopedia: Filter Bubbles
For some time now I've been thinking about making a thread on this topic, as it has sparked a bit of insight:

Perhaps, these internet algorithm "Filter Bubbles" are a significant contributor to the extreme divisiveness society is being driven to....
..because people are not aware of this mechanism and don't know how often they are being 'confirmed’ in a ‘personalized’ or inwardly ‘mirrored’ set of ideas forming their paradigms -

- it may be that this causes various small 'bubble' groups to believe they are the 'majority' and therefore must be the ones who are 'correct', which leads to such groups becoming unjustifiably antagonistic towards others.

This is also may be the way that a small population percentage (such as transgenders), in knowing how to 'reach in' to various bubbles, can become so 'visible' that they gain power in 'turning' society toward accepting the 'unacceptable'.

As well, the above can lead to people voting ‘blindly’, due to being unaware of either ‘filter bubble’ confirmation bias or that they are receiving bad information 'thru’ their internet ‘bubbles’...

These 'Filter Bubbles', I have come to believe, are the reason that many ATS members refuse to engage with the many links to independent journalism (outside of mainstream media), which have been offered by myself and others in your threads -
- you see (as noted in the video) the best way to break out of a filter bubble is to engage with sources of information originating from 'outside' one's own 'bubble'.

...In this way people are introduced to alternate, legitimate news resources wherein they can engage with each new idea/news report on it's own merits.

I sincerely hope that that the above will be helpful in broadening the world views of any ATS members (or, perhaps more importantly, member's friends/family) who may have unknowingly become victims of personal 'filter bubble' paradigms.

edit on 3-9-2024 by lostgirl because: spacing

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 11:59 AM
link   

"Megalomania"? Now, who does that description fit, to a tee?....

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Oh, you dig very deep)))

I have lived through all manifestations of communism and Marxism in my country. Therefore, I fully support you in this matter. If you want harm to your enemy, wish him Marxism))))

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

what these findings obscure is how some of these people rise to the level where their incompetence is even an issue.

There is a general tendency for people to rise to their highest level of incompetence. Someone works at a job, does well and eventually gets put on a list for promotion. With a new job come new skills, practices and experience that all needs to be relearned. If they can handle it, a new promotion and job will come along eventually. If not, they ae stuck there as the person does not want to lose the extra money and prestige.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

You just posted a good example of D-K.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Oh, my beauty, as always you get to the root of the matter. But from a practical point of view. I also face a situation when my social networks themselves select news for me according to my preferences. This is done by artificial intelligence, which in Russia is no less advanced than in the West. But I try to get alternative information, including from Western alternative sources that are not part of the official mainstream media.
You and I are thinking and intelligent people.
Thank you)))

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

If you want harm to your enemy, wish him Marxism))))

...and that is what we in the US see each day here, coming from many of our UK brethren.

Why we in the US arguing against completely experiencing what they in the UK are well underway enduring, are seen as an enemy by them, is still unclear to me.

Schadenfreude is a likely reason...but one I won't go so far as to assume as fact.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:14 PM
link   
originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

Excuse me...You read ALL of this:

While I definitely see "The Dunning-Kruger effect" in a few ATS members, there is another (less antagonistic seeming) effect which many people simply do not realize they have fallen victim to, because they've never heard of it.

The term for the effect is,"Filter Bubble". Here's a link to description of a book published in 2011:

"The Filter Bubble: What the Internet is Hiding from You" www.goodreads.com...

The term "Filter Bubble" is descriptive of the way that internet algorithms keep us in an ‘information bubble’, which results in confirmation bias, causing info that we ‘do Google searches’ on or that comes into our social media or news feeds -
- to automatically ‘reflect’ back to us (primarily) the content, ideas and opinions we currently ‘agree with’ (our paradigms) regardless whether they may be outdated, inaccurate, or even potentially untrue….
Here's a Ted Talk, by the author of the book:

Ted Talk Summary -
"As web companies strive to tailor their services (including news and search results) to our personal tastes, there's a dangerous unintended consequence: We get trapped in a "filter bubble" and don't get exposed to information that could challenge or broaden our worldview. Eli Pariser argues powerfully that this will ultimately prove to be bad for us and bad for democracy.”

Here's another good resource: Techopedia: Filter Bubbles
For some time now I've been thinking about making a thread on this topic, as it has sparked a bit of insight:

Perhaps, these internet algorithm "Filter Bubbles" are a significant contributor to the extreme divisiveness society is being driven to....
..because people are not aware of this mechanism and don't know how often they are being 'confirmed’ in a ‘personalized’ or inwardly ‘mirrored’ set of ideas forming their paradigms -

- it may be that this causes various small 'bubble' groups to believe they are the 'majority' and therefore must be the ones who are 'correct', which leads to such groups becoming unjustifiably antagonistic towards others.

This is also may be the way that a small population percentage (such as transgenders), in knowing how to 'reach in' to various bubbles, can become so 'visible' that they gain power in 'turning' society toward accepting the 'unacceptable'.

As well, the above can lead to people voting ‘blindly’, due to being unaware of either ‘filter bubble’ confirmation bias or that they are receiving bad information 'thru’ their internet ‘bubbles’...

These 'Filter Bubbles', I have come to believe, are the reason that many ATS members refuse to engage with the many links to independent journalism (outside of mainstream media), which have been offered by myself and others in your threads -
- you see (as noted in the video) the best way to break out of a filter bubble is to engage with sources of information originating from 'outside' one's own 'bubble'.

...In this way people are introduced to alternate, legitimate news resources wherein they can engage with each new idea/news report on it's own merits.

I sincerely hope that that the above will be helpful in broadening the world views of any ATS members (or, perhaps more importantly, member's friends/family) who may have unknowingly become victims of personal 'filter bubble' paradigms.

In just the 4 minutes between when it posted and you commented?

You do understand, it had absolutely nothing to do with the OP, except in being an alternative possibility?

edit on 3-9-2024 by lostgirl because: fix edit

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join