It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dunning-Kruger effect and ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CarlLaFong

Maybe because your perception of Marxism and Communism seems to be a little...loose?

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

And now a small practical part. Pay attention to my any thread on ATC. You will immediately see a small group of ATC members, mainly British, who constantly hate me, consider themselves absolute experts in any topic, any that I publish. And I publish topics on a very wide range of human knowledge. But they are absolute experts in everything. Moreover, they use exclusively sources from Western media (and we all know the level of their bias), but I am constantly accused of propaganda.
Well, God be with them. I am not offended, because I am extremely sober and critical about the level of my knowledge and beliefs based on them.
By the way, everything is according to the Dunning-Kruger Effect

Being called a "Kremlin mouthpiece" is better than being called a "gay fish"?

edit on 3-9-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

Yes, I did. I'm a quick reader.

I didn't bother with your links because I am familiar with the concept.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I know that, my friend. That's why I recently posted a thread in ATS - "Communism has won in the West and will not disappear without a war." It was a cry from my soul.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

Maybe because your perception of Marxism and Communism seems to be a little...loose?

There you go again.
Continue to excuse Communism and Marxism at your continued peril.
It's done wonders for you folk so far.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Many apologies for quoting my own post - but I believe it may be missed in the bottom of prior page, and it took me well over an hour to compose. Many thanks for your understanding.

originally posted by: lostgirl
While I definitely see "The Dunning-Kruger effect" in a few ATS members, there is another (less antagonistic seeming) effect which many people simply do not realize they have fallen victim to, because they've never heard of it.

The term for the effect is,"Filter Bubble". Here's a link to description of a book published in 2011:

"The Filter Bubble: What the Internet is Hiding from You" www.goodreads.com...

The term "Filter Bubble" is descriptive of the way that internet algorithms keep us in an ‘information bubble’, which results in confirmation bias, causing info that we ‘do Google searches’ on or that comes into our social media or news feeds -
- to automatically ‘reflect’ back to us (primarily) the content, ideas and opinions we currently ‘agree with’ (our paradigms) regardless whether they may be outdated, inaccurate, or even potentially untrue….
Here's a Ted Talk, by the author of the book:

Ted Talk Summary -
"As web companies strive to tailor their services (including news and search results) to our personal tastes, there's a dangerous unintended consequence: We get trapped in a "filter bubble" and don't get exposed to information that could challenge or broaden our worldview. Eli Pariser argues powerfully that this will ultimately prove to be bad for us and bad for democracy.”

Here's another good resource: Techopedia: Filter Bubbles
For some time now I've been thinking about making a thread on this topic, as it has sparked a bit of insight:

Perhaps, these internet algorithm "Filter Bubbles" are a significant contributor to the extreme divisiveness society is being driven to....
..because people are not aware of this mechanism and don't know how often they are being 'confirmed’ in a ‘personalized’ or inwardly ‘mirrored’ set of ideas forming their paradigms -

- it may be that this causes various small 'bubble' groups to believe they are the 'majority' and therefore must be the ones who are 'correct', which leads to such groups becoming unjustifiably antagonistic towards others.

This is also may be the way that a small population percentage (such as transgenders), in knowing how to 'reach in' to various bubbles, can become so 'visible' that they gain power in 'turning' society toward accepting the 'unacceptable'.

As well, the above can lead to people voting ‘blindly’, due to being unaware of either ‘filter bubble’ confirmation bias or that they are receiving bad information 'thru’ their internet ‘bubbles’...

These 'Filter Bubbles', I have come to believe, are the reason that many ATS members refuse to engage with the many links to independent journalism (outside of mainstream media), which have been offered by myself and others in your threads -
- you see (as noted in the video) the best way to break out of a filter bubble is to engage with sources of information originating from 'outside' one's own 'bubble'.

...In this way people are introduced to alternate, legitimate news resources wherein they can engage with each new idea/news report on it's own merits.

I sincerely hope that that the above will be helpful in broadening the world views of any ATS members (or, perhaps more importantly, member's friends/family) who may have unknowingly become victims of personal 'filter bubble' paradigms.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

You know how much I respect you!
You don't need to justify yourself, I understand everything and I will accept everything from you)))

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I am not "excusing" Marxism and Communism.

I despise both.

Us folk have had neither.

Corbyn and his actual Marxists did not get in.

If you think our Tory Govt was either of those things, or the present one for that matter, it only reinforces my point.

Have you ever read Das Kapital?

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:32 PM
link   

"It was a cry from my soul".

I think you meant "Anti Western propaganda piece"? 🧐

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:38 PM
link   

"A specter is haunting Europe, the specter of communism" - the Communist Party Manifesto of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, 19th century. Only now in Europe and the USA has the specter, unfortunately, become a reality.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

That was interesting.

Until you started with your British bashing.

I certainly don't hate you, you are amusing.

Same as..

I did ask him to tone his hatred for the west down.

The only thing hes listned to is my advise on paragraphs.

Still interesting.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Where, exactly, in Europe, is this happening?

Which parties have that Manifesto?

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: alwaysbeenhere2

Yes, apart from the hating on the Brits, it was interesting.

Mind you, I think anyone who has been on here for any length of time must be well aware of D-K.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The problem is with your threads RT, and your constant veiled attacks on the British membership here, is your lack to turn that towards your own country and leadership. That is purely the reason I post rebuttles to your incorrect Russian 'facts' which I must say is very easy to do.

You see many threads on ATS by my fellow Brits' talking about the failings of Great Britian, and you also see my fellow American membership talking about the failings of their own country. We're happy to discuss the real issues in our countries.
We have never got that point of view from you?
All we ever get from you is how wonderfull your life in Russia is, you're unable to look at yourself and your leadership with a critcal eye. Your fear of showing any discomfort about Putins' decisions with his little war, or the unhappiness in Russia has defined your membership here and your bias or D.K. effect leaps out from your threads.

What's evident is your inability to take onboard any data when shown your own bias for your governments controlled media, instead blaming western media, calling any ATS members who disagree with you a sheep, because they don't trust a dictator, and refuse to talk to them shows your deep rooted bias towards Putins' controlled information as the only 'facts' you'll believe.
Your refusal to see anything other than the doctrine your fed, even when shown Facts and Data to show you're incorrect, leads to attacks, and then derailment of your own threads with off topic comments and abandonment.

All I see in your threads is a deep rooted fear of anything western, especially British....
edit on 3-9-2024 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I am very interested. Many Brits here say that the Dunning-Kruger effect has been discussed on ATS many times. But no one has provided links to threads with this effect. This is a real confirmation of this effect, when one person wrote something, and the rest begin to refer to his "statement" as the truth, without even providing links from our forum))))

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Hardly "veiled"? More like, full on?

But "constant", yes.

At least he hasn't threatened to nuke us for a while, so small mercies, I suppose.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:07 PM
link   

The search function is a bit rubbish, but it has been a thing on here for ages, but if you want to be in denial about it, go ahead.

Do your own research if you are that bothered about it.
edit on 3-9-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Ha, when there is a complete failure in their own statements, then the British offer their opponents to prove their, the British, own statements themselves.
This is epic)))

edit on 3-9-2024 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Here you go:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just one example.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 01:13 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

<< 1  2    4  5 >>