It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Finally Understand What Gaslighting Is

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Whoa fella easy there… he’s gonna be critically thinking too much about 2/6 of those words…

a reply to: visitedbythem

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Oh, I do indeed goad my brother. Wouldn’t be much of one myself if I didn’t. At least that’s how I see it
a reply to: SourGrapes

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Sorry about your car battery btw, that sucks.
It’s also crazy that it is literally double the price. Do you have a car battery charger at all? They save you some money in the long run by keeping the batteries longer

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Sisavran

Your brother started watching mainstream media because it made him feel smart.
He’s now addicted to feeling smart. If the people that make him feel smart are wrong then he would feel stupid.
Also, you are correct about the term gaslighting and ironically gaslighters show up and gaslight you about the definition of the term. People are crazy. People will always be crazy. What do you do?

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sisavran
That reminds me, my brother and I were also talking about car registrations a couple weeks ago.
We are in NYS and it used to be that a reg sticker would last you 2 years and be like $66-$68 or something like that.
Get this, from what he told me the reg stickers now only last one year and are double the price.
So in effect NYS basically quadrupled the price to have your car registered in the state

No they didn't.

Ask your brother.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 12:04 PM
link   
My brother has always been like that! Even when he was younger haha, he likes to argue to argue but he needs to be goaded a little bit first
He’s someone that can never lose an argument once started though even if he is wrong and is confronted with facts. The MSM narratives just don’t do much to help with that combo haha.. it’s like with his car. He couldn’t afford to finance like a 60k car so the dealership convinced him to lease it. I told him that if he couldn’t afford to finance it that he shouldn’t be leasing it. Tried convincing me for like an hour that leasing is better than financing/owning. I tried talking to him about how the car is going to depreciate (it’s a modern jeep so it is basically guaranteed to not hold its value) because he thinks he is getting it over on the dealership by driving over his mileage limit then “it doesn’t matter because I’m going to buy it out at the end of the lease”… it does matter though because the more he drives the more the vehicle depreciates. Then he’ll still have to pay the agreed upon pay out amount even if the vehicle had depreciated beyond that.
Just no convincing some people
a reply to: Myhandle

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 12:04 PM
link   
If they didn’t then that’s good news for everybody here!
a reply to: Moon68

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 12:06 PM
link   

So, you believe that you understand gaslighting.

Your brother tells you that grocery prices haven't risen, even though you can clearly see that they have. Gaslighting, check. BTW, sounds like your brother may have a promising career as a politician or "journalist."

You bring the story to ATS, and people tell you that you were gaslighting your brother by putting him in an uncomfortable situation and presenting facts, forcing your brother to lie to you.

Has it occurred to you that the people telling you that you were gaslighting your brother are gaslighting you?

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Could someone help me see where he and others are coming from, how is it that I and others seem to feel like the economy is going to # and the cost of goods is way too much, while others are saying it isn’t affecting them?

Are things bad or good right now for you, and what do you see happening in the near future regarding the US economy? I am still under 35yrs old so I am trying to understand the economy as a whole better but it doesn’t help when some people say it’s good and others say it’s bad

It can be quite frustrating and frankly, the tactics being fielded are geared to ensure that's the case.

Your brother has become a sycophant.🤷🏻 He sounds more willful about it than he does committed. Meaning, he's probably a byproduct of incessant manipulation like the rest of us. Watch enough MSM and make it a daily routine and you too will eventually "come around".

This country is bursting at the seams with these types. Has nothing to do with experience and every to do with susceptibility and character.

Imagine being such a self-centered, deluded prick that you SEE the absolute decimation around you, and as long as you're doing fine, everything IS fine. Smh.

Those that pretend, or obfuscate, from a position of willful apathy and ignorance, are probably some of the most dangerous people to be associated with. Family members are not immune unfortunately, as people are people that will always people.🤷🏻

What befuddles sane minds is the sheer comfortability people have with being flat out, unashamedly WRONG. Example: Men can get pregnant or menstruate. Completely erroneous but ask your brother anyway if he holds that to be true then you'll know exactly where you stand with him.

No more confusion, lol.

edit on 16-8-2024 by VariedcodeSole because: eta

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

My brother hates Tucker Carlson, so I put it on whenever he comes over.

Then you’re shocked said brother who is knowingly going to disagree with the content does so.

You’re gaslighting yourself man, lol.

What a perfect example of contemporary US partisan politics. Can’t make this stuff up.

Tucker? really?

You mean a truthy guy facing off against liar is the one to hate?

That seems to be the leftist pattern as sad as that is.

Wow, just wow.

Tucker Carlson........!?!?

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

If your brother isn't able to see how expensive groceries have become just in the last 2 years alone, then he either doesn't buy his groceries, lives on another planet or he's a bald faced liar.

I would put money on the liar part. We all are hurting from this crap and the freedom of speech issues alone are crap.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 02:22 PM
link   
To your point, this is all by design.

Classic Hegelian Dialectic.

The leaders of the West have been told what will happen and how to respond.

I E they got the playbook and are reading from it.

Goes like this:

Bring in foreigners to the West. Have them violently assert themselves and their culture/religion. Blame the endemic citizens for being racists and far-right when they respond in kind to their offspring being “________” at the hands of said invasionary force. Proceed to implement Police State.

Voila! Tale as old as time.

See. Works for this thread too.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2v2
Did he really believe things are the same price or does he believe it's justifiable to lie?

This election is being perceived as a war by many people - so all is fair.

They will say Biden is sharp, say there is no inflation, and illegal immigrants are not a problem.
I would think most people know it's not true and they are just going along to avoid Trump.

But why?

What core beliefs are they protecting. Ask your brother that.
Yes, Trump will change abortion, illegal immigrations and Trans rights. Those are the big ones.
I'm not sure what else people are fighting?

Well, the states deciding is not on Trumps ability to pass a law or the Supremes either, as they should've recognized that there was not a "right" to abortion in the COTUS ever. The right to freedom, but not to kill one thing. So, if someone is killing anything from a snake to a human, there are laws if it is legal etc. How you kill the animals we can hunt are on the lawbooks planet wide. Most nations will not allow Gays, Tranns or Abortions because they are Totalitarian. Forced Abortions in China seemed crazy bad but not to Leftists. They also have been against anything not Red Chinese in thought. We have to examine our needs in our State of TN and there will be limited abortions allowed based on age of fetus and other reasonable factors.

edit on 16000000513120248America/Chicago08pm8 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 02:48 PM
link   

😂maybe I’m still not understanding it correctly then?

I felt like I was being gas lit though when I was being told that I in fact wasn’t spending more on groceries than I used to when it seems obvious to me thag I am when I go to get them and check out. 🤷🏻‍♂️
a reply to: UpIsNowDown2

He was gaslighting you. You know reality as you experience it, and he is trying to change it. It's like you looking at the sky and say it is blue and a person comes up and says it is red. You hold up a blue sign and ask them what do they see and they say the sign is blue but the sky is red.

posted on Aug, 17 2024 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Does inflation also raise the salary? Theoretically it should, i guess that's where he's coming from.

But practically it doesn't... All things outgoing immediately adapt to inflation, all things income adapt very slow or not at all...

Some concrete examples of that inflation will help you get a proper debate... Don't forget our current economic model always forsees a yearly 2% increase... Any price increase below that is just business as usual...
Dont want to be gaslit, learn the ins and outs of our economy and behold the realization that we are at an impasse...

posted on Aug, 17 2024 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Could someone help me see where he and others are coming from

1. They rely on their personal experience rather than what they see and hear on the media.

2. They understand that a slow, gradual increase in prices is a necessary consequence of economic growth. Prices always do rise over the long term. The question is by how much. Generally, inflation in low single digits is beneficial to the economy. Wages also increase in relation to prices, balancing out the impact on wage earners.

By the way, gaslighting is what happens to people who spend too much time reading, watching and listening to the media.

posted on Aug, 17 2024 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Excellent example of one schooled in Sun Tzu. I am wondering what this means. Your "enemies" will too.

originally posted by: Kallipygywiggy

Could someone help me see where he and others are coming from

1. They rely on their personal experience rather than what they see and hear on the media.

2. They understand that a slow, gradual increase in prices is a necessary consequence of economic growth. Prices always do rise over the long term. The question is by how much. Generally, inflation in low single digits is beneficial to the economy. Wages also increase in relation to prices, balancing out the impact on wage earners.

By the way, gaslighting is what happens to people who spend too much time reading, watching and listening to the media.

posted on Aug, 17 2024 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Gas lighting is a psychological manipulation tactic employed by people with the Dark Triad personality traits to keep their victims under subjective control. Narcs/psychopaths use gas lighting to evade responsibility for their abusive behavior and to sow seeds of confusion in their victims. When victims doubt their own judgement and intuition, they lose the confidence to think for themselves. They outsource thinking and decision making to "authority figures" and "experts". Government officials effectively use media to Gas Light the masses in order to secure their position of power. Essentially, it's a form of brainwashing.

posted on Aug, 18 2024 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

Does inflation also raise the salary? Theoretically it should, i guess that's where he's coming from.

But practically it doesn't... All things outgoing immediately adapt to inflation, all things income adapt very slow or not at all...

Some concrete examples of that inflation will help you get a proper debate... Don't forget our current economic model always forsees a yearly 2% increase... Any price increase below that is just business as usual...
Dont want to be gaslit, learn the ins and outs of our economy, and behold the realization that we are at an impasse...

Typically wages go up over time as inflation goes up. A healthy system is around 2% to 3% per year. So with many larger companies, we would see about 4% raises and that offsets inflation with a little extra boost for skills, many large companies also have a separate performance raise cycle that allows managers to reward high performers.

When we talk about smaller companies, it isn't the same. I know people that haven't had a raise in 5+ years, for example. Now, when costs go up 30% within a year there is no way to recover from that and the 10s of millions of families that lived month to month OK now can't as their living cost is now much higher than what they make.

The top 20% make enough money that they can overcome the cost, though they can still feel the pain it isn't a serious life-threatening event. This is where you have someone like me who, WTF every time I look at any cost these days, what's up with plain bread being 5.50 a loaf geez...

Then you have the lower 80% that are eating beans and hotdogs because they can't afford anything and still dump 500 a month on credit cards.

edit on x31Sun, 18 Aug 2024 09:05:32 -05002024230America/ChicagoSun, 18 Aug 2024 09:05:32 -05002024 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2024 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: cherokeetroy
Gas lighting is a psychological manipulation tactic employed by people with the Dark Triad personality traits to keep their victims under subjective control. Narcs/psychopaths use gas lighting to evade responsibility for their abusive behavior and to sow seeds of confusion in their victims. When victims doubt their own judgement and intuition, they lose the confidence to think for themselves. They outsource thinking and decision making to "authority figures" and "experts". Government officials effectively use media to Gas Light the masses in order to secure their position of power. Essentially, it's a form of brainwashing.

I think today much of what we see is more just the left reinventing everything to align with their propaganda points. This allows them to take true failures and turn them into some kind of success or just say something didn't happen. A good example is the whole Harris border czar event. We see several videos where Biden put her in charge to fix the problem there, and it was a left media that named her "czar" saying she would fix it all.

Come forward years later and she did nothing and now gaslights everyone suggesting she was never even involved with the border, but she can now fix it...lol The problem is the left just believes it all and runs with it as if it was all true. So, they kind of gaslight themselves and like it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join