It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Finally Understand What Gaslighting Is

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I have heard the term “gas lighting” so much over the past year or so, that it was starting to annoy me. Even after looking it up I still didn’t really get it. Now, after experiencing it first hand I can confidently say that I get it and understand it now.
So my older brother was over the other day and I know that he hates Tucker Carlson, so naturally I like to put on TC whenever he comes over to get him going, I pretty much never watch it otherwise. Dave Smith was the guest and they were talking about Kamala and how she doesn’t really have any policies and didn’t get any votes. My brother started with his usual snickers at what they were saying, so I asked him what was funny.

Our conversation pretty much went right to how the economy is doing. I told him that pretty much everything nowadays is more expensive than it used to be. He said that was a lie. I asked him how is that a lie? I am paying more for groceries than I was a couple years ago… he then said that groceries weren’t anymore expensive for him than they used to be and that he still spends $120 and gets the same amount of groceries that he has gotten for years. I then asked if he meant even before Covid, and he said yup! I started bringing up charts from mainstream places for him to show him all the areas that have gone up in cost not to mention increase in costs of services. Didn’t care. “You’re being lied to.” He said

I’m sorry but I don’t understand how this is even possible? I don’t watch the news cause I don’t have cable but I know he uses MSM for most of his information. Are they actually trying to push that the economy is in good shape? I personally don’t feel that in my wallet at all. Apparently people are happy about the most recent inflation report, at a 2.9% increase overall… I read somewhere else that over the past 3 or 4 years inflation overall is up 20%+. I’m no economist but I don’t see that as a good thing and it honestly doesn’t feel like it either.

Could someone help me see where he and others are coming from, how is it that I and others seem to feel like the economy is going to # and the cost of goods is way too much, while others are saying it isn’t affecting them?

Are things bad or good right now for you, and what do you see happening in the near future regarding the US economy? I am still under 35yrs old so I am trying to understand the economy as a whole better but it doesn’t help when some people say it’s good and others say it’s bad

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   
gas lighting is when a politician opens their mouth and words fall out, it happens evrytime they speak

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Sisavran

My brother hates Tucker Carlson, so I put it on whenever he comes over.

Then you’re shocked said brother who is knowingly going to disagree with the content does so.

You’re gaslighting yourself man, lol.

What a perfect example of contemporary US partisan politics. Can’t make this stuff up.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 09:48 AM
link   
😂maybe I’m still not understanding it correctly then?

I felt like I was being gas lit though when I was being told that I in fact wasn’t spending more on groceries than I used to when it seems obvious to me thag I am when I go to get them and check out. 🤷🏻‍♂️
a reply to: UpIsNowDown2

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The content was about Kamala not having policies.
Then we started talking about the economy which they weren’t talking about on TC.
Kind of seems like you can’t stand him either tbh lol
a reply to: CriticalStinker

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 09:54 AM
link   

My point is you are gaslighting someone by putting content on the TV that you know an individual won’t like. Then you’re complaining that their response isn’t one you agree with (even if they’re wrong, which he is).

The irony of you making a thread about finally understanding gaslighting, while missing you were the first to do so in the case study you laid out kind of proves you don’t understand it.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 09:55 AM
link   

If your brother isn't able to see how expensive groceries have become just in the last 2 years alone, then he either doesn't buy his groceries, lives on another planet or he's a bald faced liar.

edit on 16-8-2024 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2024 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 09:55 AM
link   
If you were to have gone to Japan in your lifetime and I sat here telling you it was all a dream and made you believe that you never actually went, that is gaslighting.

It's a manipulation of your perception of reality.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Hmmm, I don’t get how that is me gaslighting him?
I would say it’s more like setting up the environment to get him talking about current events honestly because he usually doesn’t unless he’s a little heated first.

I’m not telling him something is the way it is and trying to convince him of that, even though he finds it to be obviously untrue with facts

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Thank you! So I do get it haha

When I go and buy groceries and they are more expensive now then they used to be but I know for a fact that they are and am being told otherwise I am indeed being gas lit.

a reply to: PorkChop96

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:03 AM
link   

You’re knowingly getting him heated, then pointing out how they’re crazy for their beliefs.

He’s wrong about inflation, but getting him riled up and then going after him for his opinions you know there’s disagreement is a form of gaslighting.

And you even said he wouldn’t talk about current events unless you set that stage. So de facto, you’re gaslighting yourself.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:04 AM
link   
… I don’t think you understand what gaslighting is tbh

I can’t predict what my brother is going to say or talk about once we are talking about current events. We are also respectful and friendly with each other no matter how much we end up arguing. I just didn’t understand exactly what gas lighting was till I was in the exact situation about the groceries and being told to my face that I was being lied to and that groceries weren’t actually more expensive
edit on 16-8-2024 by Sisavran because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Not really how that works

Getting him "riled up" and pointing out the inaccuracies of his opinions is just having a debate/disagreement.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:10 AM
link   
So is this something that the MSM is pushing in places? That the economy isn’t actually bad at all and that everything is buiss as usual?

a reply to: PorkChop96

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

You’re knowingly getting him heated, then pointing out how they’re crazy for their beliefs.

He’s wrong about inflation, but getting him riled up and then going after him for his opinions you know there’s disagreement is a form of gaslighting.

And you even said he wouldn’t talk about current events unless you set that stage. So de facto, you’re gaslighting yourself.

I disagree. It sounds like he wanted to gain his brothers perspective, knowing his politics do not align with his own. Presenting data and conversing with someone with opposing opinions is not gaslighting. Unless we're just gonna slap the term gaslighting on everything. (Which the MSM DOES do). I think maybe you're gaslighting. 😆

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Here's an easily understandable explanation of inflation.

“Inflation at its lowest since 2021!”

How these headlines work:

In 2019, I weighed 106 lbs
In 2021, I gained 400 lbs
In 2022 I gained 3 lbs
In 2023, I gained 5 lbs
In 2024, I lost 8 lbs.

I’m the lowest weight I’ve been since 2021, but I still weigh 506 lbs, not 106 lbs

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:12 AM
link   

That is how the current admin is pushing things, they are trying to make you believe that nothing has changed, or if they have that it is the last admin's fault.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I'm not sure that's right at all. He was antagonizing his brother. If you have a sibling, you would likely get that. It's just something siblings do.

But his example is that his brother has been gaslit into believing the economy hasn't changed any, when in fact it has. If he really didn't believe the economy was in the sh!tter, then he was the one gaslit, if he did grasp that things are awful now, as they are, but he tried to convince his brother otherwise, then he would be gaslighting his brother.

I think you need a snickers

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:14 AM
link   
“Unless we're just gonna slap the term gaslighting on everything. (Which the MSM DOES do).”

This is so well said that I believe that this is exactly why I couldn’t get a grasp on exactly what it was! I think Joe Rogan was using a lot in an incorrect way too which only made it worse haha
a reply to: Wookiep

edit on 16-8-2024 by Sisavran because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

Not really how that works

Getting him "riled up" and pointing out the inaccuracies of his opinions is just having a debate/disagreement.

“ gas·light
verb
gerund or present participle: gaslighting
manipulate (someone) using psychological methods into questioning their own sanity or powers of reasoning.”

The situation was manipulated, OP said it themselves. Then when everything went how they expected it to, they went after the opinions they knew they’d get.

You can have a conversation with people without riling them up. And if you can’t, you probably shouldn’t if they’re family IMO. It’s just being considerate.

That said, I’m sure it’s different depending on the dynamics. There are buddies and siblings I have where we’re constantly messing with eachother in good fun. But I don’t think I’d walk away from that situation questioning if I’d gotten gaslit. I’d just be laughing from the banter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join