It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Finally Understand What Gaslighting Is

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Sisavran

I always knew gaslighting was happening and you can see how so many are affected, but last week I also experienced it in a way that just blew them all away in the gaslighting sweepstakes.

A coworker gal at work said all the exact same things, that the economy is great, nothing costs more, and all the court cases against Trump have been unbiased and not politically motivated in any way.

And Kamala is going to save the entire planet. This coworker is so extremely delusional and mentally ridiculous as to beggar belief.

She believed Trump will take away her social security and 401K even though that's what the democrats are planning.

Everything bad that might be happening, or is happening is Trump's fault, and his doing. IS what she believes. And all the lefties where I work are carbon copies of this effect with only small subtle differences.

Blame the other side for what they will do, and have all those you tell it to believe it like an ongoing black magic ritual, or a voodoo doll representing an entire political group.

It's more than gaslighting, it's demonic influence targeted at those who do not have any spiritual beliefs nor any compunction to find the truth about anything. "Their ears will be tickled with only that which they want to hear."

Just trying to inform her of just one little error on her part about her thinking brings laughter and astonishment and disbelief that I could be so dumb. These lefty zombies are really gone, out there and unreachable by their own choice.

They think all the same things about the other side of reality. A self fulfilling paradox of their own chosen destiny.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

If someone believes that there isn’t inflation, there isn’t a way to have a constructive debate. You don’t have to know a lot about economics or current events. You just have to be an adult who has existed for the last ten years.

exactly, and asking the question or initiating the conversation, however that was done, is not gaslighting. But denying the easily found and understood facts, IS.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Yep, it's totally ridiculous, but that's what they do. All the time. Remember when seemingly overnight no-one on the left could answer the question "what is a woman? Anyone believing (knowing in fact) a woman is an adult human female is now a crazy hateful person in their world. That's just one of many other ridiculous examples.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Exactly this ☝️!! Gaslighting is telling us a man is a woman and Buttigege breast feeds his baby.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:01 AM
link   
With respect, it might not be new for you but at the rate it is increasing at it is certainly new to me. I am a single home owner and do ok for myself but since Covid have felt more financial pressure than ever over simple things like the groceries, electric and gas, ect. Even though I’m making more money now then I used to.
My July electric bill alone was $250 and I don’t even feel like I use that much, now it was 90-100 degrees by me so I was using the AC a lot. But it’s like got dayum, idk how I’m supposed to have a couple kids like I want to and still be able to afford everything for myself and a family. It just sucks
a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: SourGrapes
a reply to: Wookiep

Exactly this ☝️!! Gaslighting is telling us a man is a woman and Buttigege breast feeds his baby.

see, you are even doing it. He "chest fed", it's (D)ifferent.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:03 AM
link   
In effect, Liberals are the new flat earthers.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Hey now… we all can’t see into the future!
Might be that Kamala does save the world😉
She takes Putin and all our adversaries to the bedroom and boom! World peace.
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

edit on 16-8-2024 by Sisavran because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:05 AM
link   

a reply to: PorkChop96

But if I went to one of the family members who I know I never agree with and got them to talk about current events, them being wrong isn’t gaslighting me… Because I’m the one who initiated the cycle knowing what the end result would be.

Again, initiating a conversation/debate to someone who has an opposing view is not gaslighting either party. One side saying that something is not happening, that is, is gaslighting.

You can have opposing views till the cows come home and be able to have a constructive conversation, but as soon as you are trying to manipulate reality to conform to your delusions, you are in the wrong. As is the case with the OPs brother saying that inflation does nto exist.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

If someone believes that there isn’t inflation, there isn’t a way to have a constructive debate. You don’t have to know a lot about economics or current events. You just have to be an adult who has existed for the last ten years.

exactly, and asking the question or initiating the conversation, however that was done, is not gaslighting. But denying the easily found and understood facts, IS.

I disagree, but I’m in no way the authority on this, and I’m sure I’ve been guilty of it myself. Most of the time I try to be curious, but I have to admit some days I do like to stir a pot.

But the reason I disagree is because of how I view the world.

The past decade has been pretty wild, and at times I found it hard to reconcile all of the insanity. Not just politics, but with strong ideology in general.

The “fix” to that for me was to judge people by their intent instead of their opinions. I’m strongly opinionated, many other people are strongly opinionated, so a difference in those shouldn’t be a barrier, or I’d just deprive myself of too much in life. So instead I try to focus on intent.

Some people are wrong, obviously OPs brother is wrong. But OP said himself that his brother doesn’t like to talk about current events, and my guess would because they’re just not well versed. So if they get goaded into it, I still wouldn’t say they’re gaslighting because they didn’t have the intent to do so. They’re just wrong.

Someone can be wrong without ill intent towards me. To me, gaslighting is something that’s done with the intent to mess with someone.

But alas, I could be wrong. I don’t know their dynamics.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Speaking of inflation, the battery on my SUV died. I figured it was within the 1 year warranty period. Took it in to O'Reilly and they were able to pull it up in their system.

It was purchased on August 9th, 2023, so outside the warranty 😡. Price paid was 74.97. The exact same #ty battery is now $140. That's almost double!

I had to recheck price, it's now 138.99
edit on 16-8-2024 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Last response lol.
1. I have explained our dynamic already to try and avoid you saying what you just said.
2. “To me, gaslighting is…” you are literally just making up whatever definition suits your needs instead of what the literal definition is. Like good god man c’mon!
3. “I could be wrong.” You are.
Have an awesome weekend ATS fellow!
a reply to: CriticalStinker

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:12 AM
link   

being wrong isn't the problem. Being shown proof that you are wrong, and still not accepting the facts is where the gaslighting comes in. Again, it's in the definition you posted.

I have trouble trusting someone's "intent". Like the left here who will perpetuate a lie, be shown it's a lie, but still ignore that, and continue with the lie. To think that person ever had good intent would be impossible, but some will give the benefit of the doubt.

I believe what I am saying is right or I wouldn't say it. If I find out I'm wrong, I have to change my stance, or I will be no better than those I rail on against.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:18 AM
link   
That reminds me, my brother and I were also talking about car registrations a couple weeks ago.
We are in NYS and it used to be that a reg sticker would last you 2 years and be like $66-$68 or something like that.
Get this, from what he told me the reg stickers now only last one year and are double the price.
So in effect NYS basically quadrupled the price to have your car registered in the state
a reply to: SourGrapes

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Gotta pay for the illegals somehow 🤷‍♀️

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:22 AM
link   

2. “To me, gaslighting is…” you are literally just making up whatever definition suits your needs instead of what the literal definition is. Like good god man c’mon!

I showed my math. I differentiate between someone being wrong and associating malice to them (like with gaslighting).

That’s not me changing definitions, and it’s not unique. Our legal system puts a strong focus on intent.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I think you're mistaking goading for gaslighting.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 11:24 AM
link   

You’re knowingly getting him heated, then pointing out how they’re crazy for their beliefs.

He’s wrong about inflation, but getting him riled up and then going after him for his opinions you know there’s disagreement is a form of gaslighting.

And you even said he wouldn’t talk about current events unless you set that stage. So de facto, you’re gaslighting yourself.

Your connotation is not the denotation.

link   
Ya… all of our Motel 8’s here are literally chock (or is it chalk?) full of em.

Lots of labor being taken from legal citizens here no matter who they are. That’s not political messaging that is what people here hear and see. Upstate NY btw, not the city, f the city
a reply to: SourGrapes

link   

originally posted by: SourGrapes

I think you're mistaking goading for gaslighting.

You however, are correct.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join