It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Finally Understand What Gaslighting Is

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Sisavran

Yep, the MSM does not want anyone to believe prices went way up, because they want us to believe the Biden admin is super amazing. If they ever reported anything resembling reality they might just end up looking really stupid, while also exposing their own corruption.

Luckily, there are millions of us whom have seen through their BS for many, many years.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:18 AM
link   
He is the first born and I am the third born out of 4, so ya…. It’s necessary sometimes🤣

a reply to: network dude

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:20 AM
link   
“into questioning their own sanity or powers of reasoning.”

Ya dude, I 100% didn’t do that. I think you are just sh*t posting here cause I have argued with you in other threads. Call me a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

a reply to: CriticalStinker

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:23 AM
link   

My siblings and friends can be savages.

But if I was messing with them and got the reaction I expected, I wouldn’t act as if I was gaslit. I was the one who initiated that cycle.

We all have friends and family who we know have opinions that are wrong, and can be proven so.

If I had an uncle who believed in flat earth, but didn’t like to talk about it unless he got riled up, I couldn’t use my knowledge to get on the subject and claim I got gaslit by him. Doesn’t make sense.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sisavran
“into questioning their own sanity or powers of reasoning.”

Ya dude, I 100% didn’t do that. I think you are just sh*t posting here cause I have argued with you in other threads. Call me a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

But he did that to you?

Even after you said he wouldn’t talk about current events unless you get him heated?

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:26 AM
link   
You are making it out to be like I am super upset from the conversation I had with my brother. I’m not… I was using it as an example to say that it is what made me realize what gaslighting was. Done replying to you though cause it doesn’t really seem to be going anywhere.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Sisavran

We have a member here who’ll remain nameless that was “gaslighting” me/us in a thread about how she had more money and was doing better under Biden. Not sure what planet she’s on but all I could do was laugh. I pretty much just sit back and watch those types make complete fools of themselves, if nothing else it’s cheap entertainment. 😂

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Did he really believe things are the same price or does he believe it's justifiable to lie?

This election is being perceived as a war by many people - so all is fair.

They will say Biden is sharp, say there is no inflation, and illegal immigrants are not a problem.
I would think most people know it's not true and they are just going along to avoid Trump.

But why?

What core beliefs are they protecting. Ask your brother that.
Yes, Trump will change abortion, illegal immigrations and Trans rights. Those are the big ones.
I'm not sure what else people are fighting?

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Sounds like MSM

10 Warning Signs of Gaslighting

edit on 16-8-2024 by MetalThunder because: STAND YOUR GROUND

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Let's say your brother borrowed your car and wrecked it. Tore the whole bumper off the front end.

He shows back up to your house in a rental and acts like nothing happened.

You confront him, "dude! Where's my car?"

He replies, "what car? I don't have your car." He (the brother) clearly doesn't want to discuss "the car". But, you persist, knowing damn well he drove away in your car.

You keep bantering, until he finally admits to borrowing your car. "Yes. But, it was already damaged. You wrecked it before letting me borrow it."

That would be a definition of gas lighting. The brother that borrowed your car, not you questioning him on it.

You're saying that simply bringing up a subject your brother doesn't want to discuss is gas lighting yourself. It's not.

edit on 16-8-2024 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:33 AM
link   

inciting a debate over current events is far from manipulative.

There is really no "going after" a different opinion, that is how a conversation works.

Not really hard to rile up someone form that side of the isle, sometimes all you have to do is exist and there they go. Funny how those of that political opinion are the easiest to rile up while those of the opposite are usually cool and calm the entire time. Sort of like those around here.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:35 AM
link   
So the administration is gas lighting the citizens then? That’s pretty brazen to do.
I mean the clot shots were one thing cause there was actually an uncertainty to them. But when you are talking about money, something that can be counted with 100% accuracy physically seems like something that would be impossible to get away with telling people
You used to have $100 in your pocket but now you have $80. “Where’d my money go?”
“Psh, fool, you always had $80!”
a reply to: Wookiep

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Daughter2v2

Trump won't "change abortion", it's now a state issue. Unless Congress puts forth a bill, nothing is happening to "abortion rights" at the Federal level.

The way it was federalized wasn't Constitutional, the SC simply righted a wrong.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

inciting a debate over current events is far from manipulative.

There is really no "going after" a different opinion, that is how a conversation works.

Not really hard to rile up someone form that side of the isle, sometimes all you have to do is exist and there they go. Funny how those of that political opinion are the easiest to rile up while those of the opposite are usually cool and calm the entire time. Sort of like those around here.

Just ask which of the 2 genders they are and wait for the fireworks.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:38 AM
link   
That’s the thing! I think people get confused. Let’s say that she over the past couple of years got raises or promotions and is making more money than she used to. So maybe she doesn’t realize that she is making more money now but at the same time paying more out of pocket. If at the end of the day she is still able to pocket $100 instead of $80 she doesn’t really feel like the economy got worse… however what she doesn’t realize is that $100 could be $150 for example

a reply to: KrustyKrab

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This conversation wasn’t political so much as it was economical. We were really just mainly focused on price of groceries, services, and other goods like plywood and what not. He owns a condo and I own a home though so the convo about other goods was pretty much useless with him cause I don’t think he has set foot in a hardware store😂

a reply to: Daughter2v2

edit on 16-8-2024 by Sisavran because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Oh we agree on the gender thing lol, he is just delusional when it comes to the price of things. To be fair on his end he has a new wife and now has a dual income again so he might not be feeling it as much as the next person. That doesn’t mean it’s not happening though.

a reply to: Moon68

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

I guess I just disagree with the whole premise.

I have family members left and right who I disagree with. I have other ones left and right that I can talk with and see where they’re coming from.

As I’ve said, the topic of inflation isn’t really up for debate, it’s here, it’s measurable (even though the “real” numbers are an understatement).

But if I went to one of the family members who I know I never agree with and got them to talk about current events, them being wrong isn’t gaslighting me… Because I’m the one who initiated the cycle knowing what the end result would be.

If someone believes that there isn’t inflation, there isn’t a way to have a constructive debate. You don’t have to know a lot about economics or current events. You just have to be an adult who has existed for the last ten years.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

My siblings and friends can be savages.

But if I was messing with them and got the reaction I expected, I wouldn’t act as if I was gaslit. I was the one who initiated that cycle.

We all have friends and family who we know have opinions that are wrong, and can be proven so.

If I had an uncle who believed in flat earth, but didn’t like to talk about it unless he got riled up, I couldn’t use my knowledge to get on the subject and claim I got gaslit by him. Doesn’t make sense.

however the conversation happened, it happened. And the brother was either gas lit himself, of was gaslighting the OP. Trying to provoke a response is not gaslighting, you can check yourself with the definition you posted.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Our grocery costs have risen about thirty five percent over the last three and a half years. We are even more frugal, we shop more sales but the percentage would be higher if we did not concentrate on buying good sales. Some things went up high, then came down about half way, but overall, everything keeps increasing and even the government info on food inflation shows that to be true. Evidently your guest does not pay attention to what things cost, or maybe he has changed brands to cheaper brands now because it is cheaper...never realizing that even the cheaper brands used to be way cheaper.

I figure our total food inflation to this point is ten percent a year overall. which is way more than the government is saying it is too. They have constantly distorted the figures to make social security raises less. Government agencies saying chicken and pork was healthier and figuring seniors all started eating more chicken and pork in place of beef. That way they could alter the cost of living because everyone eats more chicken now

This has been going on for decades, it is not new. Deceiving the people into not realizing they are worse off is part of government policy, and that is not just Democrats that do that. Bidens lies were just so easy to see that I can't understand why so many people believed him...he even has secure cognitive decline and possibly dementia and democrats even in congress could not tell he was loosing it...because they wanted to believe in a lie that he was capable

We got a bunch of blind politicians in our upper government that only see what they believe to be real. These people we trust with managing our economy and the security of our country...and they can't even tell someone has secure cognitive decline

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join