It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Monday:Nikkei stock index closes largest point drop in history in a single day 4,400 points

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer
a reply to: WeMustCare

The top 20 drops in DOW history all occurred under Trump.

Jeez man do you think this is politically related? If so connect the dots.

DO you have a link or source for this nugget, Were any drops during the Floyd stuff and COVID, those are almost acts of nature and unrelated to a President who had a hostile Congress and Senate most of his Presidency? Like for instance dd the market dropped during and after his impeachment proceedings.

IIRC the markets were hit during Nixon and Clinton's impeachments

[url]https://you.com/search?q=How%20respeonsible%20is%20the%20President%20duriing%20a%20market%20drop&fromSearchBar=true&tbm=youchat&chatMode=default[ /url]

In summary, while the President does have some influence over the economy and the stock market, it's essential to consider the broader economic and market factors that contribute to market performance. The historical data suggests that the stock market's performance is influenced by a multitude of factors, and it's not solely determined by the actions of the President.

Favicon for investopedia.com
investopedia
Favicon for darrowwealthmanagement.com
darrowwealthma...
Favicon for fidelity.com
fidelity

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Ahhh, I gotchya. I missed that part.

Well, it will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Though, I’m getting the feeling Iran is going to do the same thing as last strike and warn everyone, let the assets get in position, and send drones that take 12 hours so they get intercepted. It will cost Israel and the US more to shoot them down than what they’re worth, but if Israel doesn’t expand the war to Lebanon or Iran, we may see a lot of the losses the last couple of days erased from that alone.

Either way, I got chips sitting on the side for dips.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is the crash before The Crash.

Serious question; if you didn't see this coming, do you feel like a confident investor?
edit on 5-8-2024 by cherokeetroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Gasp, where were the circuit breakers?

US market losses are still very modest.

Market Watch is already pumping headlines: here’s how far it needs to fall before the circuit breakers kick in

The Dow and Nasdaq are still above their 200 day moving averages. The Nasdaq briefly fell below that benchmark level early today before rallying strongly over 500 points.

Everybody believes the markets are fixed to only go up, and this is just another buy the dip.

They have always been right.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: cherokeetroy
This is the crash before the Crash.

Serious question; if you didn't see this coming, do you feel like a confident investor?

That’s what I thought in 2020/2021. I even went short, but luckily I took a risk and shorted something I could see falling either way (though I suppose it was a risk on its own). I got put options on Peloton.

This time I still wouldn’t short ETFs or the market as a whole… I think it we could see a bounce if the Middle East cools down or after the election.

So I’d find something I think could fall even if the market rebounds. Right now I’d play my same strategy as during COVID when there were some bubbles around stocks benefiting from work at home and people trying not to leave the house like Zoom and Peloton.

Right now I think the elephant in the room is AI. I’m not ballsy enough to short Nvidia, but there are other stocks riding the coat tails as we just saw with intel taking a 38% tumble.

Some of that action may have already passed though, so I won’t be playing short on anything right now, just keeping cash to the side if there are some yummy dips.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Hmmm...well, I'm seeing a totally different trajectory. What that tells me is we may be getting closer to the bifurcation

We R here

🥳

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Just a reminder that it is the dollar that is the worlds reserve currency.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Kaiju666

Kudos for seeing that.

But again I’m curious since many members have eluded to this being a move against Trump….

Why now? What tactical advantage is there to starting a tumble during an admin under the left ahead of an election?

Wouldn’t they want to wait till he is elected? Market and economic uncertainty is the worst thing for an incumbent party in power.

That was my thought as well and I mentioned in this thread? earlier or another one that the market would be weaponized against him if he becomes president again. As far as it being now? I don’t know, maybe they crash it, Kamala says a few big words, cackles and SHAZAM!! Market is back on track? All the smurfs ooh and ahh at the sparkles and twerkin’.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 01:49 PM
link   
x.com...

R A W S A L E R T S
@rawsalerts
·
4h
🚨#BREAKING: Over $1.93 trillion has been wiped out from the US stock market so far today as the Nasdaq has dropped over 1,000 points. Officials say the Nasdaq has never been this low, not even intraday.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer

The top 20 drops in DOW history all occurred under Trump.

And just like the death indexes....... All WITH COVID 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Communist COVID19 - The Hex of Everything forward unburdened

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Yes sir of that I'm aware, but I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on the potential ramifications

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Look at the actual data before panicking

Here is the chart:

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 02:43 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze

Here is the chart:

LOL nobody is panicking here, least of me, I have zero investments and meager crypto holdings. Just discussing the news

[url]https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/stock-market-today-dow-sp500-nasdaq-live-08-05-2024/card/wall-street-s-fear-gauge-soars-LyRLnVGuYQoZdFOn12pW[/ur l]

Wall Street's Fear Gauge Soars

Wall Street's fear gauge spiked early Monday, as global market turmoil deepened:

The CBOE Volatility Index, also known as the VIX, rose to 37. It had reached 65 earlier in the day before upbeat services-sector data helped markets pare some losses.

Still, if the level holds through the day, it would mark the highest close since 2020.

The VIX has risen sharply in recent days as fears of a U.S. recession mount. The VIX settled at 23.4 Friday, up from levels below 17 earlier in the week.

The gauge remains far off from the highs above 80 touched at the onset of the pandemic and during the global financial crisis.

The VIX is based on options prices tied to the S&P 500 and measures expected volatility.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

Is that the Dow since 1987?

Gee if it went from 4,000 to 40,000 in 35 years, it will probably only take half that time to go to 400,000, according to the universal law of interest compounding. Dow 400,000 in 2042

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ByeByeAmericanPie
a reply to: pianopraze

Is that the Dow since 1987?

Gee if it went from 4,000 to 40,000 in 35 years, it will probably only take half that time to go to 400,000, according to the universal law of interest compounding. Dow 400,000 in 2042

Yup, and it also took 2 seconds to throw a rock off a cliff that took it millions to get up there…

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

How long do you think that will last with China buying up all the gold?

markets.businessinsider.com...

www.gold.org...
edit on 5-8-2024 by lilzazz because: i wanted to

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: lilzazz

We have 4x the gold reserves as China.

And unless the note is tradable for it, it’s still FIAT currency, and you have to trust the issuer.

China will have to build trust with the world before people will want to sit on their notes or bonds.

Plenty of the world has, but I’d argue they had to out of necessity.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze

Here is the chart:

Yeah that chart looks very tame from space. Lol. However, at ground level, it's not so agreeable.

Not to mention earlier, with the convenient brokerage outages to curb investors from making their own decisions in a timely manner.

I wonder how much investors lost not being able to access their accounts? Or the inverse, how much did they miss out on??🤷🏻

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

I think that’s a famous Wall Street idiom.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join