It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Monday:Nikkei stock index closes largest point drop in history in a single day 4,400 points

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 02:38 AM
link   
1987 took us about 5 years to recover but I was 23 then. I have no stocks but this will be crappy for our business right at our busiest time too.NOw people will be sitting on thier wallets

Night Owls screeching doom and gloom

this just in France has surrendered

Its going to be difficult to blame this on Trump

x.com...

Black Monday: The Nikkei stock index closes with the largest point drop in history in a single day, with more than 4,400 points and a drop of more than 12%.
No one is spared:
Nintendo -15%
Sega -13%
Capcom -16%
Cellar -23%
Konami -8%
Sony -6%... #Japon

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

To quote the late, great Douglas Adams,

"DON'T PANIC!"

(Last one to the escape pod is a Vogon!)

edit on 5-8-2024 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2024 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Wow the timing couldnt be much worse.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 04:09 AM
link   

It's been dropping since March...

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 04:16 AM
link   

With the world on the brink of economic collapse and WWIII, lets check in on Harris's Campaign to see what policies she has to help America weather this storm.

Kamala Harris for President

Damn, would you look at that....not a single policy position listed.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Harris will find a way to blame Trump. Betchya.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

If only...

This is going to be painful. This is going to be THIS SCENE:

This could be a halt trading type day.

We'll see in a few hours. Crypto took a sh*t. I am down to just Ethereum and hoping to ride this out. Considering the panic sell before it loses another 30%. Japan saw our recession indicators. Panic is all the stock market knows how to do now right now.

But it's an excuse for insomnia posting my favorite choral arrangement.

edit on 5-8-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

I understand pretty much zilch on how stock markets actually work, but I try to understand.
The mere fact you have posted Carl Orff tells me this is going to get serious! I get it through the music. My favourite choral arrangement too!
Thank you
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 04:57 AM
link   

I remember just the other day, the lefties were celebrating that our recession woes had a nice soft landing. I suppose to prop up Biden's policies, as they translate to being Harris' policies, with regard to the election.

Crypto seems to be a canary in the coal mine, it tanked yesterday, after a slow downward spiral.

Buy the tasty dip?

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I have automatic bitcoin buys that run every week, this morning's is going to be tasty indeed.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Bet ya love Old Spice too huh?

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Haha! Yes I do actually! Used to wear it as a perfume way back in the '70's!!!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I went with Ethereum and some lesser utility coins. But I'll be watching today and if it tanks again, I'll throw some at it.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

To quote the late, great Douglas Adams,

"DON'T PANIC!"

(Last one to the escape pod is a Vogon!)

LOL I'm not panicking it's not my first rodeo, and there's nothing one can do but sit back and watch.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

It's been dropping since March...

Yeah,

The US jobs report supposedly wasn't too rosy was the straw meets camels back. All i know is Discord and Twitter stoppped talking war and started talking market plunge about 2:30 this morining

x.com...

www.wsj.com...

A global stock-market selloff intensified Monday, led by a more than 12% drop in Japan’s Nikkei 225. Tech-focused Nasdaq-100 futures were down more than 4%, paring some earlier losses, while Dow and S&P 500 futures fell at least 1.5%.

The declines extended what has been a dizzying few days on Wall Street during which this year’s most popular trades have been aggressively unwound. A selloff in tech shares continued premarket Monday, with Nvidia, Meta and Apple each losing 6% or more. (The iPhone maker took an extra hit from news that Berkshire Hathaway had slashed its Apple stake.)

Concerns about a slowing U.S. economy are front and center for investors after job growth slowed sharply in July. Investors are worried that the Federal Reserve has moved too slowly and will need to play catch up in cutting rates.

Around the world, investors rushed for the safety of the bond market. The 10-year U.S. Treasury yield recently traded around 3.74%, down from over 4.1% a week ago and on pace to settle at its lowest level in more than a year.

In recent trading:

The VIX, considered Wall Street’s fear gauge, jumped to 50, its highest intraday level since April 2020.

Treasury yields fell. Yields tied to the two-year U.S. Treasury note fell the furthest, as the yield curve continues to steepen.

Japanese stocks were among the hardest hit globally. The Nikkei 225 saw its biggest one-day fall since 1987. Elsewhere, South Korea’s benchmark Kospi sank 8% and the Stoxx Europe 600 fell around 2.5%.

The yen leapt against the dollar, amplifying a trade that started to take hold last month.

Bitcoin’s price plunged. It traded around $51,400, down roughly 13% from Sunday’s 4 p.m. ET price.

— By Caitlin McCabe

📧 Get smarter about markets with our free weekday morning and evening newsletters.

edit on p000000318am086 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: watchitburn

I went with Ethereum and some lesser utility coins. But I'll be watching today and if it tanks again, I'll throw some at it.

I’m going to keep a good amount of dry powder to DCA along the way (stocks and crypto).

The market hasn’t had a lot of corrections, largely in part because of the AI bubble IMO.

We may see things calm down depending on what happens with Israel and Iran… I’ve seen signals Iran may just do something like last time, where they warn everyone and let Israel and the US get in position, but this time does feel different. If this expands into Lebanon or worse Iran, I think we may see a prolonged down tick.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I think the big fear has been the tech stocks slowly bleeding signaling a stall in AI growth (or a bubble pop). It’s been bringing the broader tech sector down which has been weighting the ETFs and driving the growth recently.

Nvidia started to pull back, Intel announced they weren’t getting the gains they thought they would from AI (had a 38% one week correction), and Warren just pulled a large part of his Apple position from Berkshire.

That and Israel and Iran could be the closest to all out war we’ve seen them in the whole conflict.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I remember just the other day, the lefties were celebrating that our recession woes had a nice soft landing. I suppose to prop up Biden's policies, as they translate to being Harris' policies, with regard to the election.

Crypto seems to be a canary in the coal mine, it tanked yesterday, after a slow downward spiral.

Buy the tasty dip?

Generally, I don't pay attention, but it was overdue, timing sucks our summers are always slow, but we had a good opening to our season. Now it may be shot to hell.

it happens, 1987 we went from repping one company my father had worked with for 17 years to repping multiple companies and struggling our asses off the next 5 years. Hell our industry hasn't fully recovered from COVID

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 06:49 AM
link   

edit on 5-8-2024 by cherokeetroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I think the big fear has been the tech stocks slowly bleeding signaling a stall in AI growth (or a bubble pop). It’s been bringing the broader tech sector down which has been weighting the ETFs and driving the growth recently.

Nvidia started to pull back, Intel announced they weren’t getting the gains they thought they would from AI (had a 38% one week correction), and Warren just pulled a large part of his Apple position from Berkshire.

That and Israel and Iran could be the closest to all out war we’ve seen them in the whole conflict.

Im fairly ignorant about the stock market, but I know people are plugged in here. I was hoping everybody would join in, LOL Discord is full of Zoomers and it's their first time, everybody is watching the opening

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join