It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Monday:Nikkei stock index closes largest point drop in history in a single day 4,400 points

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: cherokeetroy

What’s the main event, a run-on the banks?

For those with 401K’s what do we do?, asking for a friend.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

That’s a good point.

September is historically one of the worst months for the stock market.

That’s not to discount the other variables right now including the political ones. But I think people should at least prepare for the possibility of a decently long correction.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

I would expect bank runs. I cashed out my retirement months ago and took the penalty.

x.com...

edit on 5-8-2024 by cherokeetroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Election cycle is ramping up, September, as you pointed out is never a good month for markers.
Tech sectors were bloated, the hype on EVs and ramping up production has stalled, a looming Trump administration taking the helm, historically was not good for global markets, the bull run we saw in housing, crypto and stocks from 2019 - 21, is finally coming to an end...

There's a lot of factors here. Charlie Munger called it before he died, realized gains are going to be null for the decade.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Harris will find a way to blame Trump. Betchya.

I thought for sure this would wait until Trump was elected so they could blame him. But I can see another use for it now at this moment. Times of desperation and all.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: cherokeetroy
a reply to: 38181

I would expect bank runs. I cashed out my retirement months ago and took the penalty.

x.com...

I almost did this as well because I need it anyways, now I don’t know wtf to do

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Goldman Sachs is saying all is well on Bloomberg TV, like they almost always do. But they mentioned September too
edit on p000000318am086 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Just food for thought and not financial advice.

The next few months may be a good time to pump up the percentage going into a 401k or other similar retirement plan.

Just going up 2-4% while markets are slipping can make a huge long term impact.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I'd recommend keeping an eye on what Pelosi is trading today.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I'd recommend keeping an eye on what Pelosi is trading today.

While I agree with you, by the time her reports come out you’ve already missed a good part of the action.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Kaiju666

It won't matter either way

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Well my fund currently says about 8%-9% lower than last month. I spread it out pretty good and from the indexes I am in, my exposure to the companies listed is little to none. I got a bit of exposure to Sony, the rest of those companies represent a very tiny portion of the funds I am in.

People think WW3 is going to be a bummer financially, but the regular guy can stand to make a good amount of money by rediverting to production companies. Your fuel energy drillers and refiners, aerospace, obviously weapons makers, gold miners are doing phenomenal right now. I restructured last month this may be why I have only gone down a bit less than the broader market. If I could put the money directly into specific companies I would be making much better than I am now.

This is all cyclical anyways. Once the bombs start flying everyone goes into production mode and we can stand to increase these valuations. I would probably avoid companies based in Germany and further East. They are probably going to get ruined in the initial salvo of strikes from the other side and take time to rebuild. I would wait to buy them up until after their production has been ruined and they begin rebuilding. Once rebuilding begins valuations will climb steadily for time.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:35 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Uncertainty is the thing the market hates the most.

I think you’re right on production, but it will take some time before the ETFs rebalance since they only do that periodically.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33
a reply to: Mantiss2021

If only...

This is going to be painful. This is going to be THIS SCENE:

This could be a halt trading type day.

We'll see in a few hours. Crypto took a sh*t. I am down to just Ethereum and hoping to ride this out. Considering the panic sell before it loses another 30%. Japan saw our recession indicators. Panic is all the stock market knows how to do now right now.

But it's an excuse for insomnia posting my favorite choral arrangement.

I forgot all about that scene in WOWS,

life, does indeed go on regardless. But everybody is so over-reactionary and plugged in, unlike 87.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Dow Futures down over 1250 right now.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Yea thats why I am always watching the money in my ETF's, especially the growth funds. I swear those bastards only rebalance every quarter! I re-balance every fifteen days or so.

Like clockwork, look what is happening with defense, posted in the WW111 timing thread:

originally posted by: cherokeetroy

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
Yep plan B here it is ...

Bitcoin dropping like a @#€%

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

watching like a hungry hawk. Probably be chicken sh!t for a while and wait for the FOMO vibe to kick in. But there is power in being poor! a 50% net loss is just a "meh" event. I won't even look at the 401K until things get better.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I won't even look at the 401K until things get better.

I bumped my contributions up. I went from 12% to 14%. I’ll probably bump it up to 16% right before September if we’re still trending down. (Work does 4% of that).

Ill keep bumping that up and have a stash of dry powder if the market really reels back.
edit on 5-8-2024 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join