It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What am I missing with regard to SCOTUS roe v wade thing?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: lilzazz

How about make it mandatory for the woman to let the man know she is having an abortion. It is part his right? It should be a mutual decision.

Oh my, that's a can of worms that's been in the sun all day. Ima back up a bit.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 03:28 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
No longer is abortion constitutionally protected. .

It was never Constitutionally protected. There is nothing in the Constitution that says certain medical procedures are a protected right. Abortion is a states rights issue. The people of each state determine what laws they want and dont want as long as they don't clash with the Constitution ... and since abortion isn't in the Constitution, there is no clash between what states want and what the Constitution says. This is how it should have been all along.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

How about make it mandatory for the woman to let the man know she is having an abortion. It is part his right? It should be a mutual decision.

How about it....

Most of the time the man will say "it's not mine" fearing financial responsibility for the child, that should be mandatory if the man is the father.

Is that fair...?
edit on 29-7-2024 by lilzazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Abortion is a states rights issue.

Until a federal law is passed.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer
a reply to: Vermilion

Once again, the Life at Conception Act is sitting in Congress waiting to be passed if the Republicans ever get the numbers.

You know it’s not a realistic happening.
Half of those “republicans” are rinos, and the others aren’t pro life.
If you’re telling me 25% of congress is going to ban abortion I’m going to laugh at your delusion.
No way they could pass anything like that for or against abortion.
It’s just not a realistic happening.
Is there a realistic way the feds do it?

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33
a reply to: network dude

That's kind of a misnomer. It's not explicitly the Roe V. Wade ruling to kick it to the states that's drawing worry. IT IS THIS:

www.whitehouse.gov... ons-in-latest-budget/

This week, the Republican Study Committee...

Supports eliminating reproductive freedom for all women in every state and puts IVF treatment squarely on the chopping block through House Republicans’ support for the Life at Conception Act.

www.congress.gov...

This was introduced before the decision to kick it to states, but 3 years later it's sorta left on the backburner. Still widely supported in 2024.

This has less to do with the SCOTUS decision's standing. That really has passed. Now this is about the federal protection removed that prevented HR431 from being legal. Now, nothing stops anyone from trying this.

91 original signators, 75 additional. 166 members of Congress in total. Up to 166 elected representatives support overriding their own states decision to enact their own laws on abortion.

It's what can't be prevented without the Federal protection. States are all we have. And that could go away in the signing of HR431 into law.

THE GREATEST FEAR = If it was REALLY about states rights then this wouldn't still be a point of emphasis in Republican budgeting that is widely supported, and left in limbo status.

Win the Whitehouse, go 4 years without trying to pass HR431 and I'll apologize for thinking the "States Rights" declarations were bait and switch bullsh*t.

If you don't want me to think it was all REALLY about having the ability to try for a national ban STOP SUPPORTING A NATIONAL BAN!

How far is 166 from passing any resolution in the House? It's a long way from a simple majority. You know why 166 support it? because thats the ceiling on the numbers that will support it. The 167th wants no part of this, additionally, unlike other legislation, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours model doesn't work on garnering votes on hot-button topics

There is no way they can get enough moderate Republicans to vote for such an unpopular measure, it would be political suicide.

FWIW it's the same fear tactics used during an election season when the balance in Congress is blue that they are going to pass legislation and take our guns. They can't because moderate Democrats won't go that far either

It is complete fear factor voter motivation...IMHO

I lean pro-choice but this year this election there are loads of other important issues in addition to the likely paralyzed abortion question, Issues that can be legislated on.
edit on p000000317pm076 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vermilion

Once again, the Life at Conception Act is sitting in Congress waiting to be passed if the Republicans ever get the numbers.

when have liberals ever been realistic?

Just sayin

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 03:56 PM
link   

a reply to: FlyersFan

Abortion is a states rights issue.

Until a federal law is passed.

and the federal law could be making it legal, or making it illegal, right?

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

FWIW it's the same fear tactics used during an election season when the balance in Congress is blue that they are gonna pass legislation and take our guns. Which they can't because moderate Democrats won't go that far either

that's true, but it does give cover to men who want to buy more guns. Just sayin.

link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: Vermilion

when have liberals ever been realistic?

Just sayin

True story.
The reason I think it’s not realistic is because they’ve had enough control to do it and they still didn’t even try it.
It’s a wedge issue for them.
It’s pretty much all they have at this point the further left they have run.

link   

It's so unpopular among Republicans that they made one of the bill's biggest proponents Speaker of the House.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 03:59 PM
link   

We've already been over this.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 04:04 PM
link   

It's so unpopular among Republicans that they made one of the bill's biggest proponents Speaker of the House.

but they still have to get enough votes for the bill in the House, and then get it passed in the Senate. I could see a right to an abortion passing long before I could see it outlawed. Even women republicans have differing opinions on it.

But this does answer my question as to what the implications of this are.

The left will keep it as a wedge issue to be used during elections, while the right will largely do what I do, and voice their anti abortion opinion, but do little else, as it would spike their career.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I hate deadbeat dads. My point is abortion is not just about the woman. It is about the man also. This is usually where the arguments stops with your same comment. Cannot create that lump of cells alone.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 04:13 PM
link   
No one is banning abortions. No one. Just stop.

What should happen, is that states who do NOT allow for medical reasons should be attacked by lobbyists. I do not agree with it. Protection of life is most important.

I do not believe in abortion. I think it should only be done to save the child and/or the mother. I however do not want jail time or anything to happen to someone who gets one or lives in a state where it is ok. I do not believe it is a birth control method. Sad. Because in the political climate you HAVE To make a choice of Pro-Life or Pro-Choice. I am no-choice.

Why?

Because it is none of my f'n business. Yours either. Like I mentioned earlier, the only people that should discuss this are the two people who did the act.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Because it is none of my f'n business. Yours either. Like I mentioned earlier, the only people that should discuss this are the two people who did the act.

That's reasonable, but what we're looking at now is the Heritage foundation taking over the GOP with their Project 25
that bans even birth control. The Heritage Foundation is the GOP!!

www.mediamatters.org...

edit on 29-7-2024 by lilzazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

but the SCOTUS ruled that it's not a federal issue

No they didn't. They ruled that abortion is not protected by the US Constitution, therefore it's not a protected constitutional right.

There is nothing in the DOBBS ruling to prevent Congress from enacting a federal abortion ban. There is nothing in the DOBBS ruling to prevent the FDA from banning chemical abortions. There is nothing in the DOBBS ruling to prevent Congress from declaring that "life begins at conception".

I am slightly confused . So do you or don't you want the Federal Government to have a say in what you do with your body??

No one not even the furthest Right Member of Congress is going to put forth a ' National Abortion Ban' . That said Abortion is also never going to be just a free for all " I can do what I want " medical procedure.

It is an extremely touchy and volatile subject. Which is why the Left loves it , It is so very divisive .

At the end of the day Abortion has to be at least moderately controlled. It's already been proven that it is a right some people tend to abuse , While abusing rights is not uncommon this right just happens to have a Human life attached to it . Now I know some will say a fetus is not Human ... Fine I've heard that argument but the fact remains we all started as Fetus and unless we are to fade away as a species Abortion has to be controlled.

What the Federal Government did was wash their hands of it and sent it back to the states which was the smart thing to do considering how Volatile the Abortion subject is. The Federal Government making a ruling on Abortion is literally controlling a woman's body regardless if they are Banning it or Opening the flood gates.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: putnam6

FWIW it's the same fear tactics used during an election season when the balance in Congress is blue that they are gonna pass legislation and take our guns. Which they can't because moderate Democrats won't go that far either

that's true, but it does give cover to men who want to buy more guns. Just sayin.

Don't want to veer from the topic but Im convinced gun manufacturers and other related industries to pump up the fear, knowing they will reap the profits.

FWIW

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

No one not even the furthest Right Member of Congress is going to put forth a ' National Abortion Ban' .

There's literally a bill in Congress that would not only ban abortions at the national level, but also ban things like IVF, and it has over 100 members of Congress signed onto it as co-sponsors.

The Speaker of the House has called for a national ban on multiple occasions.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join