It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over One Million United Methodists Quit Church Overnight Over Sex Rule Change

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I know lots of republicans along with Democrats wiling to pay $20,000 property tax to live on a half acre in a subdivision.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

When people stop giving money to these woke churches, the churches will stop being woke.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Churches are people, concrete, property titles and tax exemptions. Churches are not a conduit, not a vendor, not a court. They represent a facsimile of the relationship between human and cosmos, mortal and divine. Remove the facsimile and discover true spirituality.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Jesus did say to love your neighbor...but he didn't say approve of the sinful lifestyle they live. I know it is hard for most people to understand, but most Christians don't hate like you think they do.

Eh, people cherry pick the sins that are “worse” than others.

Most sins are pretty much equal, and the seven deadly sins are:

1. Anger 2. Envy 3. Gluttony 4. Greed 5. Lust 6. Pride 7. Sloth

Do one of the big arguments I heard about gays and church was that they continue to sin knowing it’s a sin. Well, go to any church and promise you’ll find plenty of people who often find themselves in the seven deadly sins.

I could understand church’s not wanting to actually perform the marriage, but I’ve also seen people not stop someone over eating at the Sunday potluck either.

I’m not necessarily religious myself (not atheist either), but if there is a God and he’s like the New Testament, I imagine he weighs someone’s heart more than anything else.
edit on 3-6-2024 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 04:52 PM
link   
There's some bible thing about judge not, lest ye be judged, but I have to draw the line when churches drift from teaching the message of Christ to whatever is trending on TikTok.

*boom*

Thus is my sermon from my chair.

Can I get an, "Amen"?

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

You may not hate. But believe me there are plenty of religious groups that do hate anything homosexual. And regular people that identify as religious that carry out attacks on homosexuals. Both Christian and Muslim.

What those of us on the right oppose, is forcing us to change our beliefs because you don't approve.
You are doing exactly what you accuse us of doing.

Is this a pot calling the kettle black situation? Religion has been forcing it's nonsense down peoples throats for centuries. But now that a group of people that are tired of being marginalized and are expressing their views, people that have been murdered for being gay. , you don't like it?

It must suck for you.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Homosexuality and Religion Do Not Mix PERIOD . Can you blame those Devout People ?
edit on 3-6-2024 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Yet!

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The church can run itself anyway it wants. But if it accepts gay marriage and actively gay clergy, then it can't call itself a bible based church. The bible is clear ... no gay marriage and no actively gay clergy. To go around that and go by what man considers right and wrong instead of the bible, means it's not a bible believing church. That may be okay with them. But if they call themselves a bible based Christian church, they will be lying.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
The Bible has very little to say about homosexuality, but much to say about sexual immorality in general.

The bible is clear, homosexuality is a sin and shouldn't happen.
The bible is clear, marriage is between a man an a woman.
The bible is clear, no sex outside of marriage.
Since two people of the same sex can't marry, then they can't have sex.
That's what the bible says.
If you don't follow that, then you aren't a bible based church.
The United Methodists are no longer a bible based church.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
Jesus said love everyone.

Telling gay people that the bible says you can't believe in the bible and be an active homosexual doesn't mean that people stop loving gay people. It's just the people telling the gays what the bible says. If the gay people want to follow the bible, they have to be celibate. If the gay people don't care about following the bible, then it doesn't mean anything to them.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Churches are not a conduit, not a vendor, not a court. They represent a facsimile of the relationship between human and cosmos, mortal and divine. Remove the facsimile and discover true spirituality.

Try using the copyrighted material and Methodist Cross of the Methodist church for your own personal use and get back to me.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lazy88

I know lots of republicans along with Democrats wiling to pay $20,000 property tax to live on a half acre in a subdivision.

Not sure what that has to do with my post, but ok.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: Nickn4

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

It doesn't get enough love. But the Declaration of Independence kind of spells it out.

And that 6% number there is probably a very low estimate. Real number is probably double that.

And are you really asking why do we give them a voice? Because they have freedom of speech. Guaranteed by the 1st amendment. Kind of a no brainer there.

That is not what I said.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 05:09 PM
link   

What about obese people?

Thats gluttony and sloth.

Judgment is a sin too. So how come someone who is obese can practice gluttony, sloth, and judgment against someone else and still be clergy. I’ve seen it, no one said a thing.

I don’t advocate that churches perform gay marriages. I think the Bible is clear on that. But I do find it odd that people pick which sins are the “worst” arbitrarily.

I’ve been to churches all over the country, much of why I left was the blatant hypocrisy and sense of dogma for their cultural interpretation of the Bible.

I also had to grow up in the church of Christ where they thought instruments were some horrible sin. They would judge other church’s and denominations and acted like they might not go to heaven because they used instruments in worship.

To me Christianity got perverted by what people wanted it to be and forgot that it was about humility, self awareness, and forgiveness.

That’s not to say everyone is like that in churches, I’ve met some of the most wonderful people in them as well. It’s just the dogmatic structure of a lot of them were so detached from the book. So much so that people saw their church as the building or denomination more than the congregation.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Shrugs.

originally posted by: nugget1

Republicans are tightwads, in comparison. They osit on their wealth rather than make it work for them and the politicians don't care;

They keep up with the Joneses and pay into retirement savings like most people.

Sad. Many or the big city’s Methodist churches are more like countryclubs than an actual church. Can’t preach anything that will upset the rich members.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

One of the things about church is that it's a place to confess your sins, ask forgiveness of your sins, not celebrate them.

2 cents.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

In what context. To be a member? Or to be an elder or elected official. I’ve been to many a church you could attend and volunteer with. Becoming elected to a positions requires certain conditions. And rightly so.

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 05:21 PM
link   

So I guess it's no longer about their position on Calvinism.

They have probably been itching to do this since 2022. I think this was done specifically to coincide with it being June.

All our Methodist churches put up rainbow flags during June, and sometimes through July, I guess the thought of doing that again this year was too much deviation from Leviticus.

Anglicans/Episcopalians and Unitarian Universalists must be like the demon spawn of Christian Clergy.
edit on 3-6-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2024 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

Stopped going to Anglican church when the deacon made a piss about praying for Trump during his presidency.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join