It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Sense Gun Legislation

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vermilion

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: PorkChop96
a reply to: quintessentone

You, and others, seem to keep ignoring the part of the article stating that they are required to take a mandated training course before being allowed to carry said firearm in school.

Also, if you were to look into the link I provided for Sookie, you would see that all of that can be handled by USCCA, and is covered by your insurance through them.

There is no way a teacher can train mentally and strategically against a shooter with an AR-15 and whatever other firearms they bring to the school. Isn't it like bringing a knife to a gun fight?

If a teacher being armed can stop or even slow down a school shooter then mission accomplished.
It’s bringing a gun to a gunfight.
Common sense.

The shooter will mostly likely have a bulletproof vest on and how many bullets will the teacher have to get the job done while trying to dodge the AR-15 bullets?

What the shooter has is irrelevant.
Can only plan to be skilled and armed.
The only way to stop or slow down a school shooter is a good guy with a gun.

Didn't I hear that line on an old Western movie?

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:35 AM
link   

You, and others, seem to keep ignoring the part of the article stating that they are required to take a mandated training course before being allowed to carry said firearm in school.

Also, if you were to look into the link I provided for Sookie, you would see that all of that can be handled by USCCA, and is covered by your insurance through them.

There is no way a teacher can train mentally and strategically against a shooter with an AR-15 and whatever other firearms they bring to the school. Isn't it like bringing a knife to a gun fight?

No, it's not. Again, demonstrating that you're just uninformed on this subject.

Do you want to learn? There's plenty of people here who could teach you, if your mind is open.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: YourFaceAgain

Do you want to learn? There's plenty of people here who could teach you, if your mind is open.

Nobody even the police and SWAT can be prepared for any shooting situation anywhere as they will not know what to expect when they get inside the building when children/staff are not secured. If children and staff are secured in a safe holding place such as a bullet- storm-proof safe place, then they are free to employ a more let's say a more forward and faster moving strategy.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: PorkChop96

The teachers can get USCCA and be covered for anything to do with having to use a firearm in a defensive situation.

It should be on the school district's dime.

a reply to: network dude

But in that situation, what should transpire?

Should the teachers be trained to shoot to kill?

Just so folks know the very real situation that I'm referring to:
Shooting of Virginia teacher by 6-year-old was an ‘avoidable event,’ special grand jury report says
hindsight is 20/20

Would firing a warning shoot even be safe in situation like that?

I understand those who don't shoot don't grasp this, but if you ever pull your weapon and point it at something, you had better be willing to kill that which you point the muzzle at. It's what guns are for, and why it's such a large responsibility to both know the risks, and be able to follow through with the actions without second guessing if that child will keep shooting other children.

I guess I'm just not sure that the ability to look at an emotional and angry 6-year-old they've been teaching for a semester, aim at center mass and pull the trigger so as make sure to kill the child, is trait I'm very comfortable with in a kindergarten or 1st grade teacher having/using in the classroom. (Unless the teacher happens to be Arnold Schwarzenegger
)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:44 AM
link   

The teachers can get USCCA and be covered for anything to do with having to use a firearm in a defensive situation.

Shooting of Virginia teacher by 6-year-old was an ‘avoidable event,’ special grand jury report says
hindsight is 20/20

I understand those who don't shoot don't grasp this, but if you ever pull your weapon and point it at something, you had better be willing to kill that which you point the muzzle at. It's what guns are for, and why it's such a large responsibility to both know the risks, and be able to follow through with the actions without second guessing if that child will keep shooting other children.

I guess I'm just not sure that the ability to look at an emotional and angry 6-year-old they've been teaching for a semester, aim at center mass and pull the trigger so as make sure to kill the child, is trait I'm very comfortable with in a kindergarten or 1st grade teacher having/using in the classroom. (Unless the teacher happens to be Arnold Schwarzenegger
)

Well it’s a good thing it’s not you, and a good thing it’s VOLUNTARY.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Nobody even the police and SWAT can be prepared for any shooting situation anywhere as they will not know what to expect when they get inside the building when children/staff are not secured. If children and staff are secured in a safe holding place such as a bullet- storm-proof safe place, then they are free to employ a more let's say a more forward and faster moving strategy.

I have no problem with some kind of safe room.

And then the shooters just time the start of their massacre for when everyone is in the cafeteria or when it's between classes and most people are in the halls.

All your simple "solutions" have simple flaws.

I'll ask again: do you want to learn?

I already know the answer but I'm just trying to be fair.
edit on 11-4-2024 by YourFaceAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:48 AM
link   

hindsight is 20/20

)

With the rise in student violence against teachers/staff it should also be a #1 concern but how to deal with it is another thread.

www.weareteachers.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:50 AM
link   

And then the shooters just time the start of their massacre for when everyone is in the cafeteria or when it's between classes and most people are in the halls.

If a shooter plans a massacre then everyone else in other areas of the building will hear the shots then spring into self-protection action so his damage will be minimized. Also it appears in Alabama any way, that they are working on preparedness strategies, so all students being in the hallway all at once would be something that needs to be changed and other issues like that one.

Take note that government reps./lawmakers as in Alabama are not looking to have armed teachers/citizens take matters into their own hands.

Think.
edit on q00000055430America/Chicago5151America/Chicago4 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The fantastical and irrational arguments by the gun grabbers in this thread are exactly why we can’t have common sense solutions to school shootings.
The gun grabbers know nothing about guns or anything gun related. This thread is perfect evidence of that.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:59 AM
link   

If a shooter plans a massacre then everyone else in other areas of the building will hear the shots then spring into self-protection action so his damage will be minimized.

With dozens, even hundreds of targets in the cafeteria or the halls, as long as some people get to your little shelters, you're good with it?

Sorry, I disagree. I want armed staff able to save the lives of the people who can't get to shelter or escape. You might be fine with sacrificing their lives just to say we kept an extra gun out of the school. I'm not.

That's the difference between you and us. You're just crusading against guns. We're trying to save lives.

Think.

Laughable considering you refuse to think or learn.

Share some more of your Hollywood "knowledge," by all means.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:00 PM
link   

The fantastical and irrational arguments by the gun grabbers in this thread are exactly why we can’t have common sense solutions to school shootings.
The gun grabbers know nothing about guns or anything gun related. This thread is perfect evidence of that.

Not only do they know nothing, they'd rather children die than they learn anything.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:05 PM
link   

If a shooter plans a massacre then everyone else in other areas of the building will hear the shots then spring into self-protection action so his damage will be minimized.

With dozens, even hundreds of targets in the cafeteria or the halls, as long as some people get to your little shelters, you're good with it?

Sorry, I disagree. I want armed staff able to save the lives of the people who can't get to shelter or escape. You might be fine with sacrificing their lives just to say we kept an extra gun out of the school. I'm not.

That's the difference between you and us. You're just crusading against guns. We're trying to save lives.

Think.

I never said I am crusading against guns, guns have their place but not in the way some on this thread have it in mind, just as someone said, like in a Western movie gun fight. It's absurd.

I'll go with government reps. who are looking at this from all angles and one angle that was excluded by Alabama at least, and I would like to know the particulars of that, is that armed staff and citizens taking school shootings into their own hands is not their first go to strategy.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:11 PM
link   

If gov reps had your Childs safety in mind from the beginning it wouldn't be 2024 and still no precautions in place at school for these events.

I, and many many many others, will take a good guy with a gun over some ignorant politician any day of the week.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:13 PM
link   

If gov reps had your Childs safety in mind from the beginning it wouldn't be 2024 and still no precautions in place at school for these events.

I, and many many many others, will take a good guy with a gun over some ignorant politician any day of the week.

I don't disagree with that opinion about government, but as in Alabama things are changing and as in Tennessee things are changing, so it may just be up to each state to decide what is the best strategy because something has to be done. Baby steps.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Think.

I never said I am crusading against guns

You are though. Your focus is on the gun, not on saving lives. I gave you an example of how your shelters aren't the end-all, be-all of school shooting safety measures and your response was basically "oh well, some people will get to them."

Disgusting.

guns have their place but not in the way some on this thread have it in mind, just as someone said, like in a Western movie gun fight. It's absurd.

Yes, it is absurd that that's what it looks like in your uninformed brain because you just know how gunfights look in movies. Your opposition to this is based on fiction.

It really is a shame that you're so staunchly opposed to learning. There's an enormous uninformed side of this issue that keeps the focus on nonsense, which distracts time, effort, and money that could be better-spent on realistic measures.

Keep making the problem worse.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Most of those are the illusion of change. The only ones making the changes are those making these things possible, such as Tennessee allowing teachers to carry firearms to defend themselves and the kids they are teaching.

All else are false promises that never come through

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Most of those are the illusion of change. The only ones making the changes are those making these things possible, such as Tennessee allowing teachers to carry firearms to defend themselves and the kids they are teaching.

All else are false promises that never come through

Not true, Alabama already has a small number of those safe walls in place, they are just trying to develop additional preparedness strategies whereas what else is Tennessee doing besides allowing staff and citizens to be armed in schools?
edit on q00000017430America/Chicago2727America/Chicago4 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:18 PM
link   

you would have to ask them, this was just signed in yesterday.

But remember, baby steps

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:19 PM
link   

you would have to ask them, this was just signed in yesterday.

But remember, baby steps

I am sure if there were any other strategies it would have been mentioned in your article, but I can't find any.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:21 PM
link   

You are free to speculate that

Not everything can be included in every single bill/law.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join