It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature is upside down: We are in the opening scenes of a climate disaster movie...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Majestic08

originally posted by: trollz

First of all we are too small and insignificant to cause major events

This is completely false. I'll give you 4 easy examples:
1. Chlorofluorocarbons that destroy the ozone layer
2. Pesticides that destroy insect populations
3. Microplastics contamination which is in basically everything and everyone at this point
4. Catastrophic radiation incidents like Chernobyl or Fukushima

Still we are too small and insignificant to make the alleged changes or to significantly influence the way nature operates. Sure, we can pollute the environment and even destroy ourselves and some other species but the planet faces no threat from us. Some for the Universe and the Cosmos.

Thats absolutely not true. Look at fish populations, we definitely affect that. Also think about this. Every day in the United States, several HUNDRED million people pile into their cars and drive to and from work. Each car throws out about 4.6 TONS of carbon a year. Now multiply that by several hundred million cars. So, we know from the laws of physics if you put a specific amount of C02 in the air and heat it with solar radiation, it will heat up X amount. Thats a FACT. So, we cannot be throwing this much carbon into the atmosphere and NOT have it have a net effect on the heat in that atmosphere. It's not physically possible. Thats one of the ways we know its happening.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Openminded2023

originally posted by: trollz

First of all we are too small and insignificant to cause major events

This is completely false. I'll give you 4 easy examples:
1. Chlorofluorocarbons that destroy the ozone layer
2. Pesticides that destroy insect populations
3. Microplastics contamination which is in basically everything and everyone at this point
4. Catastrophic radiation incidents like Chernobyl or Fukushima

Still we are too small and insignificant to make the alleged changes or to significantly influence the way nature operates. Sure, we can pollute the environment and even destroy ourselves and some other species but the planet faces no threat from us. Some for the Universe and the Cosmos.

Thats absolutely not true. Look at fish populations, we definitely affect that. Also think about this. Every day in the United States, several HUNDRED million people pile into their cars and drive to and from work. Each car throws out about 4.6 TONS of carbon a year. Now multiply that by several hundred million cars. So, we know from the laws of physics if you put a specific amount of C02 in the air and heat it with solar radiation, it will heat up X amount. Thats a FACT. So, we cannot be throwing this much carbon into the atmosphere and NOT have it have a net effect on the heat in that atmosphere. It's not physically possible. Thats one of the ways we know its happening.

I said we can affect other species and even destroy ourselves and the said species in the worst case scenario. But we are still insignificant in the grant scheme of things. The planet isn't under any threat and so does the Universe and the Cosmos. What you have told me is under the topic of the pollution of the planet and nothing more.

The argument made earlier about the 'collapse of nature' is just not true. If you also believe that extra carbon dioxide is some sort of a threat that will lead to extinction and disappearence of life on earth then need to rethink your arguments.
edit on 29-12-2023 by Majestic08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Flies…

Where in the heck are they coming from this time of year. Usually the first deep frost kills them off for the rest of winter time. Yet they are coming into our house, driving me nuts.

And yes I experienced the non egg laying chickens from a certain time period until I changed feed brands.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:20 AM
link   
We had a particularly wet summer up here.

And there was a few days where ladybugs were in numbers I've never seen all my life; there were literally clouds of them. I'd end up covered in them if I just stood outside.

Also, we had a particularly soft December. Around the 20th, it was around 10°C (usually below -10°C this time of year), and it rained for 2 days straight.

So all the snow melted and we had a few areas with significant floods. This is right around Christmas. Rather unusual.

Edit:

I also found a kind of hornet which typically isn't found so far up north, in early fall. I found them on 3 separate occasions, at 3 different locations.
edit on 29-12-2023 by BrotherKinsMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
This has happened before, back in the 14th century. The weather in Europe (yes I have to use Europe since we don't know about North America at the time) had a period of wetter than normal summer and it led to crop failures throughout the period.

A couple links and quotes from sources about the famine.
Phys.org

Europe's Great Famine of 1315–1317 is considered one of the worst population collapses in the continent's history. Historical records tell of unrelenting rain accompanied by mass crop failure, skyrocketing food prices, and even instances of cannibalism. These written records strongly suggest Europe's Great Famine was caused by several years of devastating floods that began in 1314, but they can't tell us how this flooding compares to historic averages, or its full geographical extent.

Now, new research using tree ring records confirms the historical data, showing the years of the Great Famine were some of Europe's wettest. A team of researchers from the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory and Columbia University quantified the extent of Great Famine flooding and found the years 1314, 1315, and 1316 were the fifth-wettest sequence of summers on record over a 700-year period.

Historic UK.com

During the winter and spring of 2013/2014, Britain suffered a prolonged period of destructive winter storms, resulting in widespread flooding and damage. However this was not the first time that the country had been devastated by heavy periods of rain and bad weather.

It rained almost constantly throughout the summer and autumn of 1314 and then through most of 1315 and 1316. Crops rotted in the ground, harvests failed and livestock drowned or starved. Food stocks depleted and the price of food soared. The result was the Great Famine, which over the next few years is thought to have claimed over 5% of the British population. It was the same or even worse in mainland Europe.

Luckly today more people are educated and/or have access to information as to how to recover or even adjust their plantings to offset this type of weather event.

So this type of weather isn't new, it's rare enough in human lifetime to forget how to deal with it. Noticing these changes allows for us to see the changes and so does keeping track of the weather.

Here in the PNW we had a mild summer, and looking to be a wetter than usual winter. We might get some snow but cold and wet are what's being predicted.

Something else to keep in mind, it's only been a little less then two years since we had Tonga-Hunga exploded. The effects of that are still in play when it comes to global weather.

THIS!
Everything is cyclical, this has happened before, many times.
It is not some unique, end of the world change. It's weather, relax, deal with it.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSkepticGuy23

Don't stress about the ladybug invasion, they're beneficial and eat other insects that are known to have devastating effects on crops.

It's a good thing!

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Still we are too small and insignificant to make the alleged changes or to significantly influence the way nature operates.

That's false. There are 8 billion polluting people on this planet. We absolutely significantly influence what is going on in nature. We may not be responsible for 'climate change', that being a natural cyclical occurrence, but we and our pollution absolutely influence nature.

edit on 12/29/2023 by FlyersFan because: spelling

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
Don't stress about the ladybug invasion, they're beneficial and eat other insects that are known to have devastating effects on crops.!

I hate ladybugs. Damn things always bite me. Seriously ... everyone thinks they are so cute and helpful. And they are. But I swear the whole species is out to get me.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 06:08 AM
link   

The thing I don't understand is how these events are always linked to human activity or are governed by human activity. First of all we are too small and insignificant to cause major events but most importantly there is nothing unusual about these changes or climate change which is a natural process however highly politicalized with predictions snf arguments that are devoid of science.

Natural climatic fluctuations, even those of recent years, cover a considerable range. They can be characterized as a "noise" spectrum which masks possible global effects of man-caused increases of atmospheric CO2 and particulates. Local modifications, either deliberate or inadvertent, measurably affect the microclimate. Some artificial alterations of the microclimate are beneficial in agriculture. Among the unplanned effects, those produced by urbanization on local temperature and on wind field are quite pronounced. The influences on rainfall are still somewhat controversial, but effects may extend considerably beyond the confines of metropolitan areas. They are the result of water vapor released by human activity and of the influence of condensation and freezing nuclei produced in overabundance by motor vehicles and other combustion processes. Therefore it appears that on the local scale man-made influences on climate are substantial but that on the global scale natural forces still prevail. Obviously this should not lead to complacency. The potential for anthropogenic changes of climate on a larger and even a global scale is real.

www.science.org...

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Mother Nature ain't 'collapsing', she's going through a cycle, albeit a longer cycle than her human counterparts. Deal with it, work with her not against her. Learn to adapt.
Mother Nature loves CO2 and gives us oxygen in return....... and breathe......
Here's an interview you might enjoy. If you've never heard of Professor David Bellemy, look him up.

Rainbows
Jane
edit on am126America/ChicagoFriday2023-12-29T06:14:38-06:0006America/Chicago12000000 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

This is the first time I've ever heard about Ladybugs biting anyone.

What did you do to piss off Mother Nature?

No but seriously that sucks they bear a grudge towards you for some reason.

Nature is weird.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 06:13 AM
link   

EVERY STINK'N TIME they land on me. I freak'n hate 'em. So cute. But ... OUCH!

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 06:23 AM
link   

a reply to: FlyersFan

What did you do to piss off Mother Nature?

No but seriously that sucks they bear a grudge towards you for some reason.

Nature is weird.

I've been bitten by a ladybug when I was a kid and it was a green one, not your typical red one with black spots.

That's what made it memorable to me, but I haven't been bitten since, and I didn't turn into a ladybug, much less a green one at that, so... lol.

I'm sorry they have designated Flyerfan enemy #1. I wonder what their campaign against him or her looks like on a bug level...🤔

ETA: David Attenborough would know, lol.😉 It'd be an honor to have him narrating the "incidents".

(British accent) "....and Flyersfan as been bitten once more.." LOL.
edit on 29-12-2023 by VariedcodeSole because: eta

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Mother Nature ain't 'collapsing', she's going through a cycle, albeit a longer cycle than her human counterparts. Deal with it, work with her not against her. Learn to adapt.
Mother Nature loves CO2 and gives us oxygen in return....... and breathe......
Here's an interview you might enjoy. If you've never heard of Professor David Bellemy, look him up.

Rainbows
Jane

His career at the BBC ended when he publicly criticised anthropogenic global warming (in a letter to the New Scientist in 2005, but he has since admitted mistakes and withdrawn from the debate.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Exactly. Earth has been here way longer than we have, and will continue after we are gone.

How long have we been keeping track of the weather again?

It changes, there are cycles, some with a longer period than we have even been keeping track, so we don't know about.

Do we need to clean up our mess? Yes
Can the earth destroy us, in the shake of a lambs tail? Absolutely.

We are going to have to adjust. There will be bad years.

And lady bugs don't bite! The orange look-a-like Asian ladybug beetles do, but the red ones don't.
edit on 29-12-2023 by chiefsmom because: Clarification

edit on 29-12-2023 by chiefsmom because: spelling

edit on 29-12-2023 by chiefsmom because: spelling

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I read your post.

To give you some insights on a few things from another guy who grew food and what not this year, I have some thoughts on what you are experiencing.

The wet weather and the mold. In Minnesota where I am, we had a particularly dry summer. We had to water our plants often. When it rained however a lot of bizarre things would occur. Our tomatoes and some of our other vegetables would get a film of crud on them. It wiped away, but it was a bit unusual. Like the rain carried some kind of crud with it. It stunted a lot of the growth of the things we grew. Flowers were unaffected, but tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and the like did not grow to size. In fact the only real crop that grew to any size was the lettuce and the Basil.

Your chicken issue is the feed. There is a huge issue with the feed companies changing their formulas and putting in extra stuff as filler. Chances are unless your chickens were getting just table scraps and food foraged on your property, they were likely being dosed with various chemicals and toxins that stopped their egg laying capabilities and stunted their growth. That was something that started in the early 2020’s. One other thing. The chronic wasting disease we are seeing in deer, is the result of “hunters” using feed traps to lure deer onto their property. The deer eat the feed, then spread the wasting disease in their poop. The same thing that happened with Mad Cow Prion disease is happening to deer for the same reasons.

If you bought stuff from Amazon, you likely imported the stink bugs. Minnesota does not have them typically, but I have been killing the things left and right. They arrive in the flutes of the boxes, hatch and of course become stink bugs. Same with ladybugs. Been finding them in the basement. So do not keep your cardboard. Send it to the recycler, even if you can repurpose it, Don’t.

As far as the one guy’s lack of spiders, I’ll trade you. Gladly as I am killing spiders periodically, two have been brown recluse spiders.

The mold thing may not be just mold or fungus. I think it is carried by the rain. I know it sounds conspiracy theory in tone, but a lot of things that we are seeing are dropped from above. Just like the poisonous environment we have in this country and our food chains.

We are being annihilated slowly in order to make way for a new species of creature to take over our world. a reply to: TheSkepticGuy23

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 07:45 AM
link   
All of this goes to show the ignorance and intransigence of humans. Why? Because most humans, especially in the modern world, have "put down roots". Throughout history time and time again humans have "failed" and blamed nature, the environment etc. for that failure. But go back a couple of thousand years and they had learned the lesson. Very important that everyone learns that if you live in an area you adapt to that climate/nature and grow crops/food that is the most suitable for that area. AND more importantly, if the climate etc. changes, adapt to that situation or move.

Then you'll say "but we live here we can't move". THAT is modern humans intransigence, it aint the fault of the climate/nature. Please go look at all the times in history when man did exactly what you're all on about. Farm in the right place at the time but climate changes and you get famine on a massive scale. Depend on one crop, same thing, great at the start then climate change, massive famine. Look at the great Irish potato famine.

This is the main reason of how man colonised the world. With one sentence "the grass is always greener on the other side". Man moved around the world for better conditions.

Answer:- Stop moaning, adapt or move.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMindOfMax2

No star. No flag. Because the bullspit isn't funny anymore.

I agree to a point. We also have seen climate shifts that have drastically changed the world's climate within a short window of time. We are also coming out of two ice ages with the big one and a small one that saw the world frozen from 1200 AD up to 1850s and we are still seeing the effects of that one too.

So what does that mean to the world? Who knows as we have never really lived in anything BUT cold as the primary side of the climate. Add in human involvement and we can argue it is 5% or 90%, but even at 5% we will see accelerated changes as species die out and others flourish. So with the OP, we can end up losing dandelions that are edible and make dandelion wine to something like nasty weeds that tear at your ankles when you walk.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSkepticGuy23

So I just moved from Washington State to Virginia about 4 months ago and the one big thing I have noticed is the massive amount of Dew at night and in the morning. For 15 years I hardly ever saw dew and never on clear days, but on this side of the country, it is every day and at a level where I need to wipe my windows and mirrors first as a routine each morning. At night as I sit outside the arms of my chair will collect dew and I'll need to wipe them down too. I don't remember it being so dewy in the past.

edit on x31Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:06:19 -06002023362America/ChicagoFri, 29 Dec 2023 08:06:19 -06002023 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed

Then you'll say "but we live here we can't move". THAT is modern humans intransigence, it aint the fault of the climate/nature. Please go look at all the times in history when man did exactly what you're all on about. Farm in the right place at the time but climate changes and you get famine on a massive scale. Depend on one crop, same thing, great at the start then climate change, massive famine. Look at the great Irish potato famine.

This is the main reason of how man colonised the world. With one sentence "the grass is always greener on the other side". Man moved around the world for better conditions.

Answer:- Stop moaning, adapt or move.

Look at the Mayans. They may have reached close to 10 million, and by the time the Spaniards came their great dynasty was gone and they were small villages at best.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join