It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Texas judge grants a pregnant woman permission to get an abortion despite the state’s ban

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

As I pointed out in a previous case, a woman tried to go to NM. By the time she could, due to the abnormality the fetus had, the head size was too large for one in NM. Because she had to deal with the bs from Texas for weeks before her only option was to go out of state. She was then forced to carry to term, forced to birth it vaginally and then bury it. She wanted to bury and grieve it months earlier, not the remaining time she was pregnant and then again when she buried it.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 09:55 AM
link   

This woman is currently at 20 weeks. Should she be forced to carry to term despite knowing her child will at best live for an unbearably painful few hours?

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

No one can lawfully be forced to allow themselves to be injected with foreign substances, by a State or the Federal govt.

SCOTUS ruled that vaccinations can be required for kids to attend school or participate in public activities and that businesses can mandate vaccines for public accommodations, employment, medical treatments. SCOUS doesn't think you and yours have the right to walk around in public, possibly with a virus that can kill others and/or start a pandemic, like Typhoid Mary.

Because of the SCOTUS rulings on vaccines, many states have enacted vaccine mandate bans.

Which has ZERO to do with abortion.

Yes it does. It's about our rights to bodily autonomy.
verdict.justia.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I don't agree with the 100% no abortion some states have put into place. I think the 15 weeks is a good middle ground.

Kate Cox was at 20 weeks when she sued the State of Texas for an abortion. What about people like Kate with a national 15 week abortion ban in place?

How many women in the past just saw abortions as an inconvenience that the State would pay for so really put little thought or effort into prevention in the first place, and that is really where we all should want to be.

This line of thinking is fallacious dog whistling, and maybe it's a line those men use on women, "Come on baby, you can just get an abortion!".

Abortions aren't merely an inconvenient trade-off between spontaneous sex and contraception for women. Ask anyone who's had one. And, period panic is a real thing that even women regularly using contractions experience.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer

This woman is currently at 20 weeks. Should she be forced to carry to term despite knowing her child will at best live for an unbearably painful few hours?

It's interesting to see what will happen in this case. The judge allowed common sense and considered the facts given by the doctors and their medical advise.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Jane1B

It's interesting to see what will happen in this case.

Texas is trying to stall, until the fetus dies or Cox goes into labor and delivers. Then the case will be moot. Unfortunately, Texas still has, something like, 14 women suing them in a class action suit. Cox can join that suit, then.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Jane1B

It's interesting to see what will happen in this case.

Texas is trying to stall, until the fetus dies or Cox goes into labor and delivers. Then the case will be moot. Unfortunately, Texas still has, something like, 14 women suing them in a class action suit. Cox can join that suit, then.

Something is wrong with a number of judges and lawmakers.

They completely disregard the dangers of various pregnancies and medical facts. I won't be surprised if some of them are right wing christians believing the world is 5,000 years old.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jane1B
They completely disregard the dangers of various pregnancies and medical facts. I won't be surprised if some of them are right wing christians believing the world is 5,000 years old.

I sometimes wonder how doctors and scientists feel every time a republican opens their mouth.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Interesting tidbit. The judge who ruled to allow the abortion is female.

The Supreme Court judge who issued the stay? Anti abortion activist male. He previously refused to remove a painting of the 10 Commandments from his court room. He praised the tea party for his win.
This article is from 2013

John Devine, an anti-abortion activist and self-styled “Ten Commandments Judge,” will become one of Texas’s nine Supreme Court justices early next year, as the Democrats are not fielding a candidate for the seat in the November election.

Devine told the crowd he had been arrested 37 times while protesting abortion clinics in the 1980s, Smith reported.

He was accused of making racist statements about his opponent as well.

“Two Houston lawyers contended Devine told them he was targeting Medina because ‘I can beat a guy with a Mexican last name,'”

And he let his wife continue a pregnancy that was dangerous to both her and the baby even though her life was at risk. The baby died after birth.

In 2008, Devine and his wife, Nubia, showed everyone just how committed they were to the pro-life position when her seventh pregnancy endangered her life and that of the baby.

Link

Separation of Church and State? Not in Texas apparently.

Smdh. This makes me so angry as a woman and mother.
edit on 9-12-2023 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
Interesting tidbit. The judge who ruled to allow the abortion is female.

The Supreme Court judge who issued the stay? Anti abortion activist male. He previously refused to remove a painting of the 10 Commandments from his court room. He praised the tea party for his win.
This article is from 2013

John Devine, an anti-abortion activist and self-styled “Ten Commandments Judge,” will become one of Texas’s nine Supreme Court justices early next year, as the Democrats are not fielding a candidate for the seat in the November election.

Devine told the crowd he had been arrested 37 times while protesting abortion clinics in the 1980s, Smith reported.

He was accused of making racist statements about his opponent as well.

“Two Houston lawyers contended Devine told them he was targeting Medina because ‘I can beat a guy with a Mexican last name,'”

And he let his wife continue a pregnancy that was dangerous to both her and the baby even though her life was at risk. The baby died after birth.

In 2008, Devine and his wife, Nubia, showed everyone just how committed they were to the pro-life position when her seventh pregnancy endangered her life and that of the baby.

Link

Separation of Church and State? Not in Texas apparently.

Smdh. This makes me so angry as a woman and mother.

Oh!

The ten commandments?!

Something is really wrong with these guys!

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

You’re mad that she chose to not have an abortion?

So you’re really just pro-abortion and not pro-choice.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Vermilion

Her choice shouldn't supersede any other women's choice and be our mandated standard. It appears that is exactly what this judge is doing, expecting Cox to willingly endure nature's consequences, the same way his wife did.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Are you mad that Mrs. Devine chose not to have an abortion too?

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I'm disgusted by Chrisian projection. Mrs Devin's choice is WAS hers to make. (It's not hers anymore) It's not acceptable for what was her choice to now be upheld as an example that everyone no needs to hold as some standard of morality.

edit on 0720232023k04America/Chicago2023-12-09T14:04:07-06:0002pm2023-12-09T14:04:07-06:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 12:56 PM
link   

These choices were made due to their religious beliefs. You can bet she does everything he says like a good trad wife. Either way, his religious beliefs have should have nothing to due with his rulings.

I mean I guess since his wife didn't die, he can make that choice for other women as well.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vermilion
a reply to: frogs453

You’re mad that she chose to not have an abortion?

So you’re really just pro-abortion and not pro-choice.

She chose not to have an abortion based on the beliefs in the old and new testaments.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jane1B

She chose not to have an abortion based on the beliefs in the old and new testaments.

So exactly what does the bible say about abortions?

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 03:14 PM
link   

As I pointed out in a previous case, a woman tried to go to NM. By the time she could, due to the abnormality the fetus had, the head size was too large for one in NM. Because she had to deal with the bs from Texas for weeks before her only option was to go out of state. She was then forced to carry to term, forced to birth it vaginally and then bury it. She wanted to bury and grieve it months earlier, not the remaining time she was pregnant and then again when she buried it.

What do you mean by the head was too large to get an abortion in NM? Just go there in the first place and bypass Texas,. easy...

People love to use extremes in their points. Here is an extreme and so that is why it is wrong across all populations. I could also talk about buckets full of late-term abortions done for money. It is freak'in extreme too to suggest all abortions are wrong.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer

Read my post again, it will answer your question, overall I really do not care since there are options..why didn't she go right up front knowing the laws in Texas?

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

What do you mean by the head was too large to get an abortion in NM? Just go there in the first place and bypass Texas,. easy...

People love to use extremes in their points. Here is an extreme and so that is why it is wrong across all populations. I could also talk about buckets full of late-term abortions done for money. It is freak'in extreme too to suggest all abortions are wrong.

Huh? Why would she go to NM for an abortion when she wanted a baby? She only went after she had a fetus that was non viable and the state would not allow her doctors to terminate the pregnancy.

Easy for you to say that it's "easy". Smdh.

You seem to keep making assumptions that these are unwanted pregnancies. They are wanted. They also want another child after this. However, the state wants them to possibly have no chance at further reproduction or even death of the mother in favor of the non viable fetus.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join