It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's compromise

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Not surprising you being in the Bible Belt and all. You should be grateful. This is NOT the case where I live.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

There is no reasoning with the extreme elements of both the left and right. I am equally derogatorily called a liberal and a trump supporter whenever I try to steer a political conversation towards finding some kind of middle ground.
edit on 2023 6 13 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   

So that mythology class you mentioned doesn't talk about Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt and Sumeria at all?

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

I like to say I'm centrist so everyone hates me.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels
So that mythology class you mentioned doesn't talk about Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt and Sumeria at all?

Yes it does. We studied a different religion every week.

The difference is teaching vs. preaching. In both scenarios.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

There is still a difference between a regulars public school district and a religious establishment

Either one you can choose to attend or not attend.

Still not understanding the difference mate?

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 02:07 PM
link   

So why the quip about monotheism?

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You can teach kids about sex, trans and all that....if we have Bible class

Id say this is one I don't agree with. I think once kids are in grade school/highschool, social media and the internet will provide all the information they need to know about sex and lgbtq. It's not really needed in school beyond the simple premise to respect other's identities and beliefs.

Nor is the Bible needed in classs as that is pushing one religion over various other beliefs. Which isn't right. The premise of seperation of church and state should apply to public schools.

Gun Saftey and drag shows kind of sound fun. But, both really aren't needed in school. Although, a basic survival skill class in school would be great.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels

Yes it does. We studied a different religion every week.

The difference is teaching vs. preaching. In both scenarios.

I definitely think world history should have more importance in public schools. Less focus on the revolutionairy war, civil war, and WW2. Including the history of world religions.

It's great if future generations can become more worldly, and not so focused on american history and christianity. I feel like I missed a lot of that in public school and had to learn it myself.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

I don't think you are getting it.
That is the first religious school in the entire United States of America that receives tax funds.
This just happened and I am truly surprised that this hasn't been reported on here of all places.....

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Keep sex education out of the classrooms. Let the kids explore their sexuality under the bleachers like normal kids or the backseat of a Subaru will do in a pinch. Now days even little kids are sexually sophisticated.

They didn't learn it at school they learned it from their peers or older kids that know how to operate a cell phone, tablet or PC. By the time a kid gets to Jr. High, they know their way around the www quite well, computer science for K thru 3....

www.sciencebuddies.org...

This ain't mayberry Bozo, it's a brave new world.
edit on 13-6-2023 by olaru12 because: whaaa?

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: greendust
There is no point in compromise, they have no interest in it. The goal is simple for them, they get to lie, commit crimes, and steal money from hard working honest people and never receive judgement for doing so.

Lol what are you on about? Everyone lies, my worst crime in my life was a dui 22 years ago, and I am a hard worker who has never stolen anything.

You know what I am talking about. If you are woke and honest you are as rare as a pudding filled meteorite.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: greendust
You know what I am talking about. If you are woke and honest you are as rare as a pudding filled meteorite.

What is "woke"? Because it seems to be used for everything socially left of Westboro Baptist Church.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

If religion is part of a school's curriculum they set aside a specific class for it and usually either hide it under some sort of "family studies" or just outright call it Bible or Quran, or whatever study.

And the humanities are all shoved into the corner under "history". If we taught kids about the humanities like Alan watts or micheal sugrue did distinguishing similarities between ancient religions and mythologies and modern religions would be seen through a more critical lense. Unfortunately that doesn't happen, even at secondary or post secondary level.

You can find all the same morals, ethics, and life struggle stories in Greek mythology as you'd find in the Bible. It's just rehashed and told in a different way. I was never taught that in school, I had to find that out on my own, because I went to catholic school.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

You basically said the same thing that I said. You have the NRA, you have bible classes and church, for any and all religions, there are gun safety classes, you are free to say the pledge of allegiance anywhere and everywhere you want, I just don't agree with it being pushed on kids with religion added to it. The original did not contain the word God. I see NRA and gadsden flags almost daily. What is it you want? Do all of these things! I don't care! I and my kids have zero interest in religion of any sort, and though I do own guns, I don't see it as an important aspect of life soon we won't be attending bible classes or pew pew with toddlers day. You do you, I do me, and we leave each other alone about it.

That would be the best compromise.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Knock yourself out. I give negative f#cks what you do. Just don't try to pull my kids into your gun toting, religious lifestyle. See how that works? I'm also fine with the pledge in school, just take God back out of it.

You'd better not let your kids handle any of that "evil", "religious" money that says "In god we trust" on it.
Oh, the horror. 🤣

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom
You'd better not let your kids handle any of that "evil", "religious" money that says "In god we trust" on it.
Oh, the horror. 🤣

I think it's dumb too. Added right about the same time as God was added to the pledge.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I get what you are saying, but...

The debate was not about tax funded vs privately funded schools. It was about religious teachings in public schools, that are not religious institutions to begin with.

Feel free to start a thread on it if you're that surprised

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Knock yourself out. I give negative f#cks what you do. Just don't try to pull my kids into your gun toting, religious lifestyle. See how that works? I'm also fine with the pledge in school, just take God back out of it.

Don't worry about it. These range days will be kept secret from the parents like the trans clubs are. You don't even know they happened - until afterward anyway. No problem.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I don't have much of a religious education at all until I sought it on my own.

Part of it is travel. I like spending time in cultures completely foreign to me.

I grew up very close to the border. The schools back then taught History and Civics. All in English. If the kids that only spoke Spanish showed up, they had to go into an elementary school class until they learned. Stood in the back, some of them, because they were too big to fit in a tiny desk.

On the playground they just hung around each other, and were so embarrassed, they advanced quickly.

No religion was ever taught at school. That was reserved for Sunday school. My parents weren't religious, so after grandma got tired of dragging me to Sunday school, that was it for me.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join