It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge Rules Marine Recruit Can Keep His Beard and Turban Through Boot Camp.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

wonder why Sergeant Uday Singh Taunque, shaved his face and took off his turban.
or Marine Cpl. Gurpreet Singh who did the same.

maybe because they respected the regulations of the service they where joining and didn't want to be individuals.

Marine Cpl. Gurpreet Singh

Uday Singh Taunque

edit on 28-4-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The amount of dumbassery being vomited in this thread is aneurysm inducing. Y'all made my hemorrhoids bust and now I'm bleeding from my anus.

Yes, Sikh's are awesome fighters and some of the toughest little bastards you could ask to have by your side. They can also get a religious exemption in order to comply with the same standards everyone else is held to in BT.

I wasn't a Marine, that was my Dad. I was Army and knew people from all walks of life and have dealt with many differing cultures and nationalities including Sikhs, Christians, Muslims and Jews . We were governed by AR670-1 in regards to uniform, grooming and personal appearance. While there may have been slight differences between branches, standards were pretty much the same across the board.

AR670-1 stipulated that religious iconography, jewelry and attire had to be worn out of sight while in uniform, think a Christian wearing a cross had to keep it under the t-shirt. Exceptions were made during a religious service or other activity and while in Class A's. I saw a mention about the clergy's collars, as that was a part of their uniform, that's a dumb argument. There's a reason for standards, especially in BT as the purpose is to break down the individual and develop them from a ME to WE mindset.

There's a big difference between basic and duty station and deployed. SO guys hold themselves to the same standards as everyone else when not deployed. In fact, they hold themselves to a higher standard than most because, well, that's what they do in all facets of soldiering. Being deployed is a whole different matter. There are certain tactical reasons for the relaxation of grooming standards during combat, i.e. blending in, shine from being shaved, breaking up a silhouette, etc., not to mention, if you're getting shot at, F that razor. Also, ponder this, a Pfc with a beard will hold more sway with a Shiite elder than a high and tight, clean cut and shaved Colonel, if the elder even acknowledged the Col at all.

To summarize, he should conform to the standards set forth as they there for a reason. He will have a different standard after BT that accommodates his religion without issue.

Just the ramblings of an old green weenie that's worth what you paid for them.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: carewemust

There were no beards in boot when I went through.

I was in the Army for over 8 years. Only people with stubble were those with a shaving profiles... stubble, not a beard.

I understand they allow it for certain units stationed in Insaneistans do beards so that they blend in but basic training???

Armorers. Australian Army armorers can be bearded.

And the occasional chick. (Don’t ask, it’s not a pretty memory to recall)

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: carewemust

There were no beards in boot when I went through.

I was in the Army for over 8 years. Only people with stubble were those with a shaving profiles... stubble, not a beard.

I understand they allow it for certain units stationed in Insaneistans do beards so that they blend in but basic training???

Armorers. Australian Army armorers can be bearded.

And the occasional chick. (Don’t ask, it’s not a pretty memory to recall)

All I can think of, lol.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Yep. Not pretty lol.

a reply to: Moon68

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: EmeraldCoastFreedm
a reply to: LordAhriman

LOL troll on comrade satanist

Hail Satan.

I can show my military contractor credentials, with blacked out sensitive information, can you?

This’ll be good.

A military contractor who has never served in the military.

I can only entertain the thought because the services love an oxymoron.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: UpThenDown

Safety issue. Gas mask won't fit around the beard/over the turban. Is it ethical to train someone set up to fail?

<< 2  3  4   >>

join