It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Closing Even More Stores

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

" YOUR solution? "

Simple . Re-Empower Police to Arrest Shoplifters in those Locations , and then get All Brick and Mortar Stores to Agree to Prosecute those who they have Surveillance Video Evidence of Theft . The Judicial System should Then do it's PLEDGED Duty and Meet Out Justice .

edit on 17-4-2023 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: JAGStorm
We all know Walmart is just the start

Good. Shop local.

People bitch and moan about how Murika sucks and it was much better when the talkies just came out and watermelon was a nickel. Guess what? They didn't have soul crushing places like Walmart and Feces Corral.

Walmart chased out a lot of the local places.
I don’t shop at Walmart so it won’t make a difference to me but I see where this is going.
I think for many the only option will be shop online….

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Good. Shop local.

People bitch and moan about how Murika sucks and it was much better when the talkies just came out and watermelon was a nickel. Guess what? They didn't have soul crushing places like Walmart and Feces Corral.

Thing is Gus, there are no other shops or stores open any longer. The shoplifting is driving businesses to close based on insurance costs alone (I know that here in Portland).

And Golden Corral is fine dining so shut the hell up!

edit on 17-4-2023 by DBCowboy because: drinking

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:38 PM
link   
So the REI store in Portland is closing too. REI is like a fundamental corner stone to Portlanders...

Got the email today...

Dear...

We are sad to share that our store in Portland’s Pearl District will close early next year.

For nearly 20 years, REI has proudly served our members and the outdoor community from this location. We’ve had a presence in Oregon for over half of our 85-year history, opening our third store nationally at Jantzen Beach in 1976.

The safety of our employees, members and customers is always our number one priority. In recent years, Portland has been dealing with increased crime in our neighborhood and beyond. Last year, REI Portland had its highest number of break-ins and thefts in two decades, despite actions to provide extra security.

edit on 17-4-2023 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
So the REI store in Portland is closing too. REI is like a fundamental corner stone to Portlanders...

Didn't Mayor Ted beg a bunch of businesses to give him 100 days to turn things around because they threatened to leave?

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Didn't Mayor Ted beg a bunch of businesses to give him 100 days to turn things around because they threatened to leave?

As you said it isn't really up to the store's discretion as to staying or going. They are losing their insurance and that is driving them out. Insurance companies are telling these stores they are no longer insured.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Good. Shop local.

People bitch and moan wanting Walmarts to go away, I mostly agree in the suburban and urban areas

but in other areas, they exist because they fill a need, they have nothing else that fills that need except Amazon, not everybody lives in areas with other realistic options.

Those 20 stores were likely loss leaders in Sam's family's pocketbook. I'd love to move on from the timeline where Walmarts
don't dot the landscape, but the fact is in a lot of rural areas it's the only place to get anything without ordering. It increases the tax base of a depressed area and gives an anchor for jobs and other businesses. Have numerous accounts in the shadow of a Walmart or SamsClub, like everything there are degrees. I loathe Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes but unless you have a phenomenal locally-owned Ace or General Hardware you would have to plan out every home improvement job around the homestead. It's not unusual to have multiple trips for one fixer-upper weekend

Respectfully Walmarts have saved my ass more than hurt it professionally, in a lot of ways. If your show van has a broken display and you are working your best account in the morning you can find something to fix it at 2 in the morning at a Walmart. Need 500 bottles of water because your delivery didn't make it Walmarts got your back, and furthermore ripped your dress shirt while loading up the 500 bottles of water, you can walk back into said Walmart and find a reasonable substitute if you don't take off your sport coat afterward

If locations like that dry up everybody will have to move to places like Orange NJ.

Look at the closings none in the southeast except in urban or suburban areas, and even those are just 3 total. Looks as if most the other closures are also in heavily populated areas.

Here are the latest store closings:
Arkansas:
3701 SE Dodson Road, Bentonville (Pick-up only concept)

DC:
99 H Street NW, Washington

Georgia:
1801 Howell Mill Rd NW, Atlanta

835 M.L.K. Jr Dr NW, Atlanta

Florida:
6900 US Highway 19 North, Pinellas Park (Neighborhood Market concept)

Hawaii:
1032 Fort Street Mall, Honolulu

Illinois:
17550 South Halsted St, Homewood

12690 S. Route 59, Plainfield

840 N. McCormick Blvd, Lincolnwood (Pick-up only concept)

1511 Camp Jackson Road, Cahokia

8431 S. Stewart Ave, Chicago

4720 S. Cottage Grove Ave, Chicago

2844 N. Broadway, Chicago

2551 W. Cermak Road, Chicago

Indiana:
3701 Portage Road, South Bend

Minnesota:
1200 Shingle Creek Pkwy, Brooklyn Center

New Mexico:
301 San Mateo Blvd. SE, Albuquerque

Oregon:
4200 82nd Ave. SE, Portland

1123 N Hayden Meadows Dr., Portland

Texas:
24919 Westheimer Pkwy, Katy (Neighborhood Market concept)

Washington:
11400 Hwy. 99, Everett

Wisconsin:
10330 W. Silver Spring Dr, Milwaukee

edit on 17-4-2023 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

" YOUR solution? "

Simple . Re-Empower Police to Arrest Shoplifters in those Locations , and then get All Brick and Mortar Stores to Agree to Prosecute those who they have Surveillance Video Evidence of Theft . The Judicial System should Then do it's PLEDGED Duty and Meet Out Justice .

So, give power to the state.

More state control.

Typical when it's something "you guys" want or agree on.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

" YOUR solution? "

More state control.

REALLY ? Are you that Brainwashed as to Think that ? Geez , It's Crime Against Local Communities , NOT the State .

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:53 PM
link   

" YOUR solution? "

More state control.

lol

Punishing criminals for crimes is now authoritarian.

lol

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:54 PM
link   

If there was more state control the government could not fix elections. Never gonna happen.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Magnivea

Well gee, haven't you figured it out? DON'T have a WM app, just go in, gather the stuff you want and walk out. I mean, that's what others seem to be doing and they're not prosecuted or even harassed by security. Duh.

/sarc

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

If there was more state control the government could not fix elections. Never gonna happen.

You seem to have lost your way from another thread.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

" YOUR solution? "

More state control.

lol

Punishing criminals for crimes is now authoritarian.

lol

It's what "you guys" do.

If you agree with it - it's OK.

If you don't - it's a fascist government overstepping their bounds.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 04:34 PM
link   

No, they didn't, people are just too ****ing lazy.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

See above.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
but in other areas, they exist because they fill a need, they have nothing else that fills that need except Amazon, not everybody lives in areas with other realistic options.

Give me a town and I will find options. People want to butter their bread on both sides, either you want to put America first or you want to be a lazy slug and support Walmart.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 05:21 PM
link   

No, they didn't, people are just too ****ing lazy.

It has nothing to do with laziness. I’m old enough to remember Walmart it’s history and stores popping up all over, so I’ve seen how this whole thing went down.

They came in with massive stores. The stores were clean, had quality but very very cheap items.
I remember the first item I ever bought at Walmart. They were a pair of Jelly shoes/sandals. They were very very cheap. No local shoe store could touch their prices. The clothes were basic but made well (remember I’m talking 40+ years ago)

Then they started adding food. People don’t realize Walmart wasn’t really a grocery store when it first started.
Then the food section got bigger and bigger. They started selling things very cheap and the local grocery stores were getting pushed out.

Then Sam Walton died and all went to hell. A few years after he died is really when Walmart started looking soooo trashy.
Every other item was made in China. They were still pretty cheap and in some areas became a main employer.

Then……Amazon! Wash rinse Repeat.
Local places simply couldn’t attain the same prices due to volume as Walmart, so a lot of them simply went out of business.

Funny enough, I was recently in Columbus Ohio and they have a bricks and mortar Amazon store.. I just looked at it and laughed.

edit on 17-4-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I heard a rumor that the empty Walmarts will be holding stations prior to your trip to your local FEMA destination.
edit on 17-4-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Then Sam Walton died and all went to hell. A few years after he died is really when Walmart started looking soooo trashy.
Every other item was made in China. They were still pretty cheap and in some areas became a main employer.

Your Walmart history is way off, Sam Walton was the clown who started importing cheap Chinese crap.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join